Re: Hello from America

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:30 pm

hey dick.//// from Long Island myself but living in Galway now for 6 years... i try to hit the beaches for bass and blues when i visit home....

if you haven't already check out my brothers website... www.surfcastersjournal.com

how did you fare the big storm last week? My parents in Lindenhurst got hit pretty hard and no power for a few days...

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 am

Vinny, How do you like living in Ireland after 6 years you must like it pretty much. I have seen that site before very nice.
We were very lucky with the storm, small branches in the yard and power out for a few hours. Lucky all in all.
O'D

Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:03 pm

hi dick
nice striper. welcome to the site. keep an eye on the site for tactics and gear.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Hello Dick just wondering if you can recommend some good tackle shops in new york
The missus goes over regulary and i might give her a shopping list.
Looking for soft plastics plugs and the likes.
Cheers

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Tackle shops are great for information, advice, local knowledge and service. If I am going to fish someplace new to me, say I take a trip to Florida, I go to a tackle shop buy some of the lures that work in that area, spend a few $$ and ask all the questions I want with out feeling guilty. You will pay more but the information you get might make the difference "catching" or "fishing”.

However if I were going to buy something to use back home I would shop on line. A few that come to mind; J & H / Shark River/ Tackle Direct / Land Big Fish / Cabala s / Bass Pro Shop all have great choices and good prices.

Next time come with the wife and fish, while she visits or shops.

Good luck. O'D

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:40 pm

hi dick those stripers sure are impressive fish. is there any commercial pressure on them. currently the species of bass we fish for are under intense pressure with the commercial sector trying to re-open the fishery which would have a devestating effect on the shore angling side of things. if you are a member of any american forums it would be of great help if you could bring up discussion about our ongoing struggle with the commercial sector on these forums. we have an online petition at the moment. all info available here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25207e

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:39 pm

stripers must be starting the spawning run up the hudson soon.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 pm

cormology wrote:Hello Dick just wondering if you can recommend some good tackle shops in new york
The missus goes over regulary and i might give her a shopping list.
Looking for soft plastics plugs and the likes.
Cheers

try any sports authority shop you will be amazed at how cheap things are take a look at them online and send her over with an empty suitcase.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:36 pm

John, look at my reply 2 posts up. I shop on the internet mostly, actually there are a number of fishing sites here where I can trade or buy used tackle rather than paying retail. I have not been in a retail store for years, and have more fishing equipment than I could ever use. In the past I had a number of bad habits now buying fishing tackle is my only vice.

On one of the sites I go on, one of the members has a signature, “When I die I only hope my wife doesn’t sell my fishing equipment for what I told her I paid for it”
O’D

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Seanie,
Pressuer these were all taken the same day by a ferw recreational boats:
61 lbs caught by Dylan Madison of Barboursville, VA ***
55 lbs caught by Norris J. Thompson of Greensboro, NC on the Providence II
53 lbs caught by Ronald D. Street of Midlothian, VA on the Providence II
48 lbs caught by Scott D. Kilgore of Greensboro, NC on the Providence II
46 lbs caught by Barry W. Meadows of McLeansville, NC on the Providence II
46 lbs caught by Jonathan Evers of Vienna, VA on the Waterman
45 lbs 6 oz caught by Daniel R. Polander of Rixeyville, VA
45 lbs caught by Devin Madison of Barboursville, VA
45 lbs caught by Gary L. Jackson of Lothian, MD
44 lbs caught by Lance Harlow of Dyke, VA
44 lbs caught by Bartel D. Williams Jr. of Lothian, MD
44 lbs caught by Sabrina Ryder of Stanardsville, VA
43 lbs 8 oz caught by Lee R. McCray of Staunton, VA
43 lbs caught by Harry T. Lucas of Boones Mill, VA on the Gannet
42 lbs caught by Mark E. Crosby of Staunton, VA
42 lbs caught by Ralph B. Wade of Boones Mill, VA on the Gannet
42 lbs caught by Michael R. Flores of Chester, VA on the Waterman
41 lbs caught by Michael R. Flores of Chester, VA on the Waterman
41 lbs caught by Eric Beer of Wingina, VA
41 LBS CAUGHT BY Thomas Keene of McLeansville, NC on the Providence II
41 lbs caught by Robert Snyder of Gainesville, VA on the Gannet
41 lbs caught by Troy Thorson of Marshall, VA on the Gannet***
40 lbs caught by Troy Thorson of Marshall, VA on the Gannet***
40 lbs caught by Lisa Madison of Barboursville, VA
46 lbs caught by Benjamin L Moss Jr of Colonial Beach, VA on the Backlash
40 lbs caught by Thomas A Parks of Colonial Beach, VA on the Backlash

These were all taken (killed) the same day by a few recreational boats. The taking of these large breeders can't be good for the stock. The Madison*** family took 146 pounds with 3 fish, in one afternoon. This time of year the Stripers are gathering to spawn, this not illegal just poor stewardship of a resource, I feel. If it continues there will be no fish to catch.
O’D

Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:20 am

wow thats a serious haul of fish, why would anyone want 146lb of fish.Id imagine youd be sick to death of eating it or do they sell it?

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Lived in brooklyn for 7 years used to go out to montauk as often as possible ,night fishing with the live eels great sport!

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

leaving work early to go fishing ,remember the night the beers froze

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:09 pm

was that down in battery park

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:11 pm

was that the same night as the cab driver asked us to leave his taxi in harlem

Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:01 am

Well our winter is over, PG, the temp is about 55 degrees and with daylight savings the days get longer by 1 minute a day, The bass season opens April 15th here in New York South of the Hudson River. Ther are reports of fish being caught already (Catch & Release only). I will put my boat in April 15th till November 15th. Hope to have a good year with plenty of big fish to report.
Dick O'D

Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

Good luck Dick and happy fishing. I look forward to seeing your reports.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi there Dick.. Welcome to the site. Your saying that the bass season opens on the 15th April Iam sure your looking forward to it. Are,s closes on the 15th of may for 4 weeks. Looks like you boys have fishing we can only dream a bout. If only we could go and fish your waters once a year it would do us a would of good :!
As they say Tight Lines and Bendy Rods...

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 am

Tom,
our fishing is good; better by far than 15 years ago. The measures taken to preserve replenish the striped bas fishery worked and the bass rebounded.
But I am afraid that this may be short lived for a number of reasons.
I am old enough to have fished 30 or 40 years ago when the fishing was truly fantastic, but I was doing other things with my misspent youth. I got back into fishing about 10 years ago when my children got older and I had the time for myself.
O'D

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Been at it my self Dick for 40 years. We used to have outstanding angling here to. But now days :roll: