Hello from America

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Hello from America

Postby Dick OD » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:55 pm

[img]Hello from America. My name is Dick O’Donovan I live in New York on Long Island and am an avid fisherman. My mom & dad were form Cork mom from Fermoy, dad from Kinsale. I fished from the shore on Long Island for years but age and a misspent youth have taken there toll and I now fish from my boat.
I am anxious to hear about how you guys fish, what you use and what you catch.
For those who don’t now L.I. (long island) I live about 8 miles from the ocean where I target, striped bass, bluefish, fluke, (summer Flounder) I use artificial lures, plugs, soft plastics and buck tail jigs. Our season is right around the corner as the mentioned fish will be migrating north from warmer waters all the way up to Maine.
At any rate hello and I will be talking to you soon I hope.
Dick O’Donovan aka O’D
[/img]
Attachments
new camera 294.jpg
new camera 294.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Dick OD
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Hello from America

Postby twinkle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:10 pm

hello there dick. and a big welcome to the site. im based in dublin and my boat is in howth so dublin bay is where i fish. we catch pollock, codling, herring,wrasse. whiting ,haddock for most of the year and add mackral in for the summer there is also ray, spurdog, bullhuss ,and tope we dont have any big predators by american standards but still manage to enjoy the ones we have
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby bigsod » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi Dick, i mainly fish the East coast and our main targets are Smoothounds, Bass and Ray. In the distant past cod were also a realistic target but these days they are few and far between.As the water warms and the crab start to moult the bass and hounds will start to apper and then in late summer hopfully a few ray will be about. I almost exclusivly bait fish, using 13 ft plus rods with multiplier reels. I use a wide variety of baits including, Rag and lug worm, sandeel, squid, mackeral, razor fish, peeler crab and mussel.
Fire in the belly, ice in the veins
bigsod
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 179 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Danny M. » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Welcome Dick, :)

Love to know abit about your Striped Bass fishing on the lures and soft plastic !
The more information the better.

Maybe I can adopt some of your methods/techniques for our Bass here in Ireland. 8)

Danny.
Danny M.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Thresher56 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Dick, you are very welcome to the site and we look forward to hearing lots more about your fishing in Long Island. :D
2009 species: thornback ray, pollack, coalfish, red gurnard, ballan wrasse, cuckoo wrasse, garfish, whiting, lsd, bull huss, flounder, pouting.
Thresher56
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 23 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Tanglerat » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi OD, and welcome to SAI.

Your fish looks like a cross between our Grey Mullet and Bass. Looking at the size of tail on it, I bet it goes like stink. And I may be wrong, but don't they grow a lot bigger over there than that that one you have in your hand?

There's all of SAI available for you to read and enjoy. Perhaps you could entertain us with a few fishy yarns, info on tackle,etc etc.

And what's that orange thing you're lipping that Striper with? Something like a Boga, or something else again?
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby cormology » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 pm

How are things welcome to the site, i would be interested in what rods reels you use over that way,
look forward to reading some reports.
Long time no sea.
cormology
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby shamieboy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:56 pm

hi dick. welcome aboard.great to see a striper again....ive enjoyed many great fishing trips in search of the mighty stripers,from montauk all the way down to atlantic city NJ..if our bass grew to striper size no angler would fish for anything else! the fight is something to live long in the memory. whereabouts do fish on long island? ive fished rockaway beach and breezy point in queens from the shore but most of our fishing was afloat from the east river all the way out to the end of long island sound and always in october when the stripers are on the way back south,had a nice few blues in the summer months as well with our late great skipper rich lewis out of the marina at la guardia...hoping to return this year again for another battle with the stripers,as you say you plug,pop and spin for the stripers,i picked up lots of bucktails in NY and found them great lures for our bass here in ireland...i picked up a copy of frank daignault book striper surf years ago and was hooked ,if any angler reads it they cant fail but to one day try and catch a striper.cheers dick hope you have a good season.....
regards sean
Attachments
pair of stripers.jpg
pair of stripers.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
east river striper.jpg
east river striper.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 1871 times
I KNOW ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL BUT I LIKE IT
shamieboy
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby johnfish » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 am

striper looks a bit small to me ,i know cause i got a 50 dollar ticket for keeping a 27incher ,my a vatar was taken on a tuna boat the big jamaica outa jersey
johnfish
SAI Bait Ball

Postby seanie35 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:37 pm

welcome to the site dick, i wonder how similar the striper and european bass will be 8)
Species....good film.....I'll get my coat
seanie35
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 231 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby johnfish » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

the mrs allways catches the big ones
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (29.18 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
johnfish
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Dick OD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 am

Wow, I got a nice response to my post. I have a boat in Jamaica Bay right next to Kennedy airport; as a matter of fact I get chased quite often. When I leave J/B I go out past Breezy point and could go west into NY harbor "Statue of Liberty" or south across to Raritan bay in New Jersey. Jamaica bay is one of the best spring time Striped Bass fisheries on the east coast, tons and tons of bait aka bunker bring big bass in for a feed. You can see my boat (the black trangle) on my GPS right off the runway at JFK, as well as a view of a runway while I was fishing. The bass I am holding is not that small I am a pretty big guy 6'3" over 250 lbs. A bass must be 28 inches to keep, the limit is one fish between 28-40 inches and you may keep a 2nd if it is over 40 inches. I keep about 5 or 6 a year and let the rest go back. The smaller bass are far better eating, and the big bass are all females and are the future of the fishery, most of us are trying to preserve. I will post again soon with more pictures of how we fish and what we use over here.
For now good night from the USA
Dick O'D
Attachments
new camera 200.jpg
new camera 200.jpg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
new camera 192.jpg
new camera 192.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Dick OD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby KERRY1 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Welcome to the site. I am one of a small number of women members on this site and I love to fish more than anything else.
I target all different types of species but my main passion is for bass whether it be on lures or on the bait.
That picture of you above is very impressive.
I look forward to speaking to you and gaining some knowledge from you about the type of fishing you do as I am very interested in it.
It’s nice to see that there is some family connection with yourself and Ireland.
Have you been over to Ireland much yourself?
"Limit your Kill - Don't Kill your Limit" ><O>-><O>-><O>
KERRY1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby Stephen8wood » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

That really looks like some fish Dick. I like the conservation measures you have over there. To keep a Bass here it needs to be 40cm and there is a two fish bag limit in any 24 hours. Commercial Bass fishing is banned and it seems to be improving the fish stocks. I presume you have noticed a dramatic decline in stocks over there as we have here.

I concentrate on sea angling from shore and boat. Mainly with bait and sometimes artificial lures. I've recently got into fly fishing for trout which means traveling much lighter and cleaner at the end of the day.
List 2010. fish

List 2011: less fish

2012: less fish again,

2013: even less fish.
Stephen8wood
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby Dick OD » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Kerry 1
I have 5 daughters , 3 grand daughter and 2 grandsons. When they were younger my girls played sports, mostly tennis but now that they are older the do fish with me ocasionaly and when they do we have a ball. They do catch fish as well. So yes I know girls do fish.
Dick O'D
Dick OD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby johnfish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 am

you do any fly fishing for false albies ,crazy sport,
johnfish
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Dick OD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 am

Johnfish.
The inlet I use to get out to the open water ( Breezy Point) is teaming with crashing albies, bonitos and bluefish in the fall, Say September to November. I have a couple of fly outfits and I can cast them fairly well on the grass but when there are fish busting all over the place not so much. I use light tackle spinning gear A St. Croix Tide master 7.5 Ft 17 lb 1/4 to 3/4 lure weight. I use a 360 Penn Slammer with 15lb braided line. We cast small tins, Deadly Dick, Crippled Herring, or Cast Masters in the 1/2 to 3/4 oz range, or 6 inch pink sluggos on a jig head retrieved as fast as possible are effective..
These pods have bluefish in them and they are very aggressive and usually take the offering before the more desirable albies gets to it. I have a couple of pictures from last year on my cell that I don’t know how to get on my hard drive,
Sometimes in the fall Small Blufin Tuna come close enough to reach in my small boat.
Attachments
new camera 232.jpg
new camera 232.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Dick OD
SAI Lug Worm

Postby red » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:18 am

i cant believe you can go fishing that close to the runway in JFK. some class pics there Dick. i reckon you could be getting plenty of PM's from lads heading to new york. HMMMM, shopping with the missus or trying to blag a fishing trip with dick on his boat, i know which i'd prefer :lol: :lol: :lol: .

nice to hear from you anyway.
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby johnfish » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Dick OD wrote:Johnfish.
The inlet I use to get out to the open water ( Breezy Point) is teaming with crashing albies, bonitos and bluefish in the fall, Say September to November. I have a couple of fly outfits and I can cast them fairly well on the grass but when there are fish busting all over the place not so much. I use light tackle spinning gear A St. Croix Tide master 7.5 Ft 17 lb 1/4 to 3/4 lure weight. I use a 360 Penn Slammer with 15lb braided line. We cast small tins, Deadly Dick, Crippled Herring, or Cast Masters in the 1/2 to 3/4 oz range, or 6 inch pink sluggos on a jig head retrieved as fast as possible are effective..
These pods have bluefish in them and they are very aggressive and usually take the offering before the more desirable albies gets to it. I have a couple of pictures from last year on my cell that I don’t know how to get on my hard drive,
Sometimes in the fall Small Blufin Tuna come close enough to reach in my small boat.

know breezy well although i did most of my fishing round city island ,yeah its nice when the bluefins come close ,well within 60 miles anyway,used to love hitting the striper blitzes in montauk and tuna fishing in the canyon,and salmon fishing in pulaski.great time big fish and plenty of them,had some greast days off city island between 2 guys fishing 90 stripers think 15 of them over 20lbs all on light tackle fishing bobbers with bunker chunk.
johnfish
SAI Bait Ball

Postby KERRY1 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:16 pm

Dick OD wrote:Kerry 1
I have 5 daughters , 3 grand daughter and 2 grandsons. When they were younger my girls played sports, mostly tennis but now that they are older the do fish with me ocasionaly and when they do we have a ball. They do catch fish as well. So yes I know girls do fish.
Dick O'D

Hi Dick OD, that's great to hear. Although fishing is still mainly a male dominated sport/past time, more and more women are doing it these days and I don't see why not. I love it, espicially on the odd occasion (very odd :lol: ) when I catch more fish than the male company I'm with :D
Tight lines.......
"Limit your Kill - Don't Kill your Limit" ><O>-><O>-><O>
KERRY1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 26 times

Next

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers