Re: Norway, Skjervoy, 31st March 2009-8th April 2009

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:00 am

Sounds just like my weekend.......!!! :-)

Savage........

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 am

Great report and pictures, next time d'ont forget your Sun cream :shock:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 am

Great photos, well done on getting some fantastic fish despite the conditions.
Sounds like a great place to fish (in the Summer).

Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:36 pm

excellent report

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Fantastic report/photos Danny, there's a hell of a lot more snow there than the time I was there in may a couple years ago, just a pity you couldn't get out to the marks I'd gave you, also a bummer about the gps, did you get any money back of them for the inconvience.
some nice fish for you anyway, though the one that got away sounded like a big fecking cod.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 pm

excellent stuff lads though looks bloody cold, suprised ye didnt try the old quarterpounders for bait :lol: :lol: just finished a job for a lad who has a house on a fjord in norway with his own boat said i could use them anytime 8) any ideas on how to get rid of the wife for two weeks :?: :mrgreen:

Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 pm

And I was looking forward to getting out from Kilmore in May? Some trip lads!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:48 am

Apologies. this should be in in the Boat reports section.

Cheers lads for the comments.
I think it could turn into a yearly trip! Now I just have to find a way to break the news to the other half :lol: !

alby wrote:amazing report.

some fish caught, back to reality now lads!!

Going back after the Bass tonight, that should tie us over for a while :P

dfella25 wrote:That Wolf Fish looks like the mother in law :lol:

And he was as vicious as a Mother in law too !!

Figs wrote:Jesus lads, fair play to ye for organising that trip. Most of us only think about but do nothing about it. It looks like a dream holiday despite the tricky conditions.
Id say that beast who grabbed a hold of the 12lb cod has been haunting you Danny.....

Great report and a super week. Fair play lads.

What ever it was, it had some power in it ! Ive never been hit like it before. Could have been a hungry submarine !

nicefish wrote:Great report and pictures, next time d'ont forget your Sun cream :shock:

The sun crean was on, factor 50 was on, but it was getting burnt off in a matter of hours :shock:

Ronald wrote:Fantastic report/photos Danny, there's a hell of a lot more snow there than the time I was there in may a couple years ago, just a pity you couldn't get out to the marks I'd gave you, also a bummer about the gps, did you get any money back of them for the inconvience.
some nice fish for you anyway, though the one that got away sounded like a big fecking cod.

No we didnt ask for any money back Ronald due to Toureg having other bigger issues to deal with over the week. Namely 3 Germans going out to sea in one of the aluminium boats, not checking their head rope was too long, it fell in the water and got caught in the prop killed the engine and they were a drift for 5 and a half hours in heavy seas before another fishing boat came across them :!: Madness.

thelegend wrote:excellent stuff lads though looks bloody cold, suprised ye didnt try the old quarterpounders for bait :lol: :lol: just finished a job for a lad who has a house on a fjord in norway with his own boat said i could use them anytime 8) any ideas on how to get rid of the wife for two weeks :?: :mrgreen:

Ya joking me !
The price of a quaterpounder up there is €16, feck that for a game of soldiers !! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Danny M. on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:54 am

A few more pictures:

Il put more up about 9am this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 am

bigsod wrote:looks like a Great trip lads hope to make the pilgramidge my self soon.Those wolf fish are mad looking yokes would love to see tony fella with one of them over his shoulder.Did yis get any shore fishing in?

No we didnt get any shore action in. The snow was just too deep to get through around the harbour and break water.. Also there is not too many areas you could try it from unless your willing to lose a lot of gear.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 am

I know what you mean about the camp manager having other things on his mind, but even still that incident with the anglers adrift just highlights the fact that the boats are not well enough equipped ,there should be vhf radios at least to call for help, not mobile numbers handed out at the start of the week.
those wee aluminium boats can handle some serious weather, but the germans were lucky they weren't closer to shore (or cliffs as the shoreline is pretty steep)
nice shot of the sea-eagle, you should have threw in a few more torsk to see if you could have got it closer to the boat for a good nosey.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:34 am

Ronald wrote:I know what you mean about the camp manager having other things on his mind, but even still that incident with the anglers adrift just highlights the fact that the boats are not well enough equipped ,there should be vhf radios at least to call for help, not mobile numbers handed out at the start of the week.
those wee aluminium boats can handle some serious weather, but the germans were lucky they weren't closer to shore (or cliffs as the shoreline is pretty steep)
nice shot of the sea-eagle, you should have threw in a few more torsk to see if you could have got it closer to the boat for a good nosey.

I totally agree with you.
The lack of saftey awarness up there is shocking compared to this country.
Life jackets were optional, no VHF, no flare packs , no heads up of changleable weather etc

The drift on the day took the Germans away from the cliffs, but the previous day it would have pushed them right on to them.

When are you going again Ronlad?
Il stick up more photos shortly.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:50 am

headin back in july danny, though they're not be any were near as much fishing done as the other half is coming along ,but at least this time I be able to get a good look around the place(no shopping thank god),we'll be staying on Arnoy island which is the big island on the western side of skervoy, still getting a wee boat for the week though so the rods have to come along :lol:

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Some more Pictures:

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:30 pm

Some more:

Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Top class report. We are going on tuesday hopefully the weather will have eased up a bit! how did you get on with the weight on the plane i we all seam to be a little bit over, did you have a travel rods or normal rods and a travel tube and did they chatge you extra for it? fair dues for hacking the weather and the fishing conditioins it sounded like hard work but as for the rewards the pics say it all. hopefully the fish will be a bit more mobile now as i might need more braid. well ill post a report when i get back let you know how we got on.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:26 am

the dog wrote:Top class report. We are going on tuesday hopefully the weather will have eased up a bit! how did you get on with the weight on the plane i we all seam to be a little bit over, did you have a travel rods or normal rods and a travel tube and did they chatge you extra for it? fair dues for hacking the weather and the fishing conditioins it sounded like hard work but as for the rewards the pics say it all. hopefully the fish will be a bit more mobile now as i might need more braid. well ill post a report when i get back let you know how we got on.

Morning,

We all had normal rods and transported them in Bazooka Tubes. There was no extra charge for these with SAS Airlines (We also put our pirks and other heavy bits in the Bazooka Tubes to save weight in our bags :lol: ..they dont weigh the tubes!)

How much over weight is your bags? If its 20-23kg you should be ok. We were a bit over too and nothing was said, I suppose it depends on the person checking you in, if their having a bad day, you probably be charged!

Danny.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:07 pm

wish i could put some pirks in the rod tube but its full of rods :lol:. i take it there is a safety/boat brief when do they do this? is it as expensive as everyone says. might have to have a quick rethink on the tackle seam to have far to much plastic baits.

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:10 pm

the dog wrote:wish i could put some pirks in the rod tube but its full of rods :lol:. i take it there is a safety/boat brief when do they do this? is it as expensive as everyone says. might have to have a quick rethink on the tackle seam to have far to much plastic baits.

Yep,

Its expensive up there mate, 3 chips & 3 burgers cost us €46 euro in the local chipper. 400ml of beer = €7

You will get a quick boat brief and you will sign a disclaimer, i.e. if you damage the boat you pay for it.
You will be offered life jackets, take them.
There is no radio/flares on the boat.
There will be a weather forecast print out on the notice board by the filleting house, pay close attention to it.
Ask for a sea chart for the area too.

Danny.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Fookin' 'ell Danny just seen this, great fish lads 8)

Looks nice and warm too............. :mrgreen: