southern brittany, France

Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:50 pm

Off on Saturday to La Pointe St Gilles near Benodet in southern brittany for two weeks holiday. Have my Mike ladle 4 piece, aspinning reel with 10lb mono, a few kilties, dexters and various plugs. Near a beach so will try there. Any advise on fishing in the region or just fishing in the general region most welcome.

Donagh

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi Donagh Your on Holidays Enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't forget they Duty Free :lol: :lol:

Cheers Danny

Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Noone knows anything about fishing in the general area so.

Donagh

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:28 pm

Heres my report for my stay at La Pointe St gilles near Benodet. I didn't catch anything in France but I only fished three short sessions two starting a 6am which is 5am our time probably a little late. I did meet a couple of others out spinning that were well equiped (not just holiday anglers). They were using rubber shads on the rocks to the east of the small beach near the camp site concentrating around the last reef at the opening of La Mer Blanch. This backed up the advise from Fonzy from the forum on fishing in Brittany to use rubber shads and worms as well as jerk baits. From snorkling the bait fish seen were very similiar to the shads.

I tried shads at the reef beside La Mer Blanch after seeing this was a hot spot. This reef gets covered over on the coming tide when it is fished and time to start fishing it would depend on the height of HW. I also tried a kilty catcher as it remined me of marks likes the saleens in waterford or Kilmore in Saleens with a small opening into a lagoon. The locals were float fishing in the channel presumably after mullet. The only fish I saw caught were by a snorkler who was spear fishing up here with three mullet hanging out of his belt. It seems to be common here to spear fish and I saw few fish that I though were mullet while snorkling around the rocky margin close to the beach near the camp site but the water was full of weed with poor visibility.

Traveling in to Benodet on the coast road to the opening of L'odet estuary there's a point with a circular cement pillar on the rocks. Either side of here was a popular spot for anglers that was always occupied at high tide. They were casting one hook traces 30 yards to the rock/sand margin. I wonder how they can suffer monopods on rocks.

Donagh

Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm

I hope you'll be more lucky the next time........
Shore fishing is really hard this year in Britanny, because of the bad weather......the only way to catch some large bass is boating.....

FONZY

Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:23 pm

Thanks for your help Fonzy. All things going well we'll be back next year.

Donagh

Re: southern brittany, France

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I'm going back here next week.

Is shore fishing in france still free of licenses?
Any info fishing around here?
Is this now the most obscure section of the site to ask questions in?

Donagh

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Donagh,

By the sounds of it, you're there now. On the off chance that you can't escape SAI.org even on your hols, I'm not long back from there. I stayed in Point St. Gilles and brought a travel spinning rod. I fished the channel as the tide was rising. If you head for the small beach right at Point St. Gilles and as you're facing the sea go left along the path until you can go no further you'll come upon a rocky beach which turns into a bigger beach, but right at the point where you come upon it off the road, there's a thin channel (at low tide, a bit bigger at full) and there were several people fishing there at the various times I was. One chap was on the other side of this channel and was therefore able to cast a little further out than me and was catching fish with spinning rod using what looked like a fairly standard dexter. Just out of reach of my small rod on the rising tide I could see decent sized fish jumping out of the water. Don't know what they were though and didn't catch anything. But fish were being caught.

I took a half day's boat fishing trip also and had a really good time (even though it lashed with rain). There's a working port further down the coast from Benodet called Guilvenec. My in-laws were with us for week 2 so it meant I could scarper. I went with a chap called Didier. Nice fella with some English. Fishing from 8am - 12pm including gear, rigs, wieghts etc. was €39 which wasn't bad. I beleive he's now also doing longer afternoon sessions too. It was a good sized boat and plenty of fish were caught. His mobile is 0033617824856.

Watch out for the wooden bridges in the water park, they're bleedin' lethal when wet!

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm going back to La Pointe St Gilles in July. Last time there had three sessions all during the day off the rocks there and had a 3lb bass to a shad over high water with cloud and a wave.

Is fishing still free of licenses?

Any info or comments?

Donagh

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:26 pm

Unlocked for Donagh.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Anyone have any more information on La Pointe St Gilles and fishing around benodet. I'm going back there again this summer. No luck last year but was only out for three short sessions during the day.

Donagh

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:05 am

This is the bass I got two years ago to a shad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.