Brian Cooke on TV Message

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:24 am

This is a message for Brian Cooke.

Hi Brian, i received the DVD his morning from the French/Canadian film crew. I played the english version first. The first Irish person i see is yourself fishing on the Dodder in Dublin for mullet with Bread. It looks really good - the French version is much better than the english version (and longer).

Best regards Brian. I'll get you a copy.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:34 am

Thanks Jim. I haven't seen the results. It was a bit of a rushed affair as I only got the call the day before filming. Unfortunately, we did not hook any mullet on the day. It was a good experience though and gave me some insight into how angling programmes are made. Not quite the romantic vision conjured up by a A Passion for Angling !.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:53 pm

Hi again B

This film crew was probably twice as tough as normal, they needed to film everything twice - once for the english version and again for the french version. It was a long week for me but we got a a very good program that portrays Ireland and the bass fishing in a positive light.

We also got the other aspects of the community that the angling visitors to SEAi use into the program, shops/pubs/restaurants and boat charters etc. are all influenced. So its a bit different to other angling shows - not so much in your face and often shows the realism of sport fishing in Ireland and some very nice fishing shots.

best
Jim

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:02 pm

Well done to all involved.
Where can I get a look at this program.

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 am

C

The english version of the programme which is much shorter and not nearly as good as the french version will be shown on Discovery in the next few months. The schedule is available - i will mail it to you when i find it!

I brought the film crew pike fishing in Navan, trout fishing in the midlands, and bass fishing in Wexford. The program opens with Brians mullet sequence.

The french version is been shown on FR1 and in most of europe at the moment as far as im aware.

The DVD that SEAi made with another company is currently available in French and may be available in english later this year. This DVD demonstrates saltwater fly fishing, fly tying, lure and lure fishing techniques along the south east coast of Ireland. This is the more rounded and accomplished product with lots of inclusion etc. Board Failte are currently using it for sea fishing promotion at shows etc Europe and the US
I can get you a copy fopr 24.00 euros C if u need one.

best
Jim

Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:33 am

The dvd in French is excellent Jim, would definitely buy a copy if it came out in English... great underwater footage too. If my French was better I would have bought a copy in Paris!

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:44 am

Thanks for that Bradan.

I was very apprehensive about what the end result would be like but im very glad that it looks ok. I think it does Ireland and sea fishing in Ireland no harm at all, its interesting and not too technical either. There is room for improvement too!

Im working on trying to make an Irish SWFF DVD, Safari style..will keep in touch

best and thanks
Jim