What does fishing mean to you

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

What does fishing mean to you

Postby merv147 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:01 pm

What dose fishing mean to you what do you get out of it I find that this question that maybe hasn’t came up on the forum before. I want to expand on this and ask 2 questions

1. what do you get out of fishing
2. what dose fishing get out of you as a sport

I can only answer these questions in my own words what I get out of fishing is a great since of comradeship I have made many friends out of fishing. I have a great love of wildlife and when I land a fish no mater what kind it is the great since of pleasure out of watching I fish swim away in to the depth or out in to the bay from wince it came.

As for what fishing gets out of me I love teaching people little tricks that they maybe didn’t know showing them marks that they didn’t know and I often learn some new marks my self from them.

Anyway what are your answers??? Come on people don’t be shy
merv147
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: What does fishing mean to you

Postby alannelson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:39 pm

Fishing for me is an escape from every day life getting the head showerd for example it gets you out in the fresh air fishing is in the blood if i could not go fishing id just go anyway.I hope i give to fishing help and advice to other anglers catch and release always better to take a photo i like learning from other anglers as well and few beers sit backl watch your rod tips and relax happy days :shock: :lol:
species shore 2012 ]codling/whiting
Founder member
Team Redwolf

alannelson
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby Pat Spillane » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 pm

Much like Alan I like to get away from the hustle and bustle, I do prefer a quiet beach than one crammed by onlookers and so its unlikely that I will be seen much during the day on any of the popular E coast beaches. I have always loved nature and when I lived in Pearse st many years ago I spent hours getting bait and preparing it for the following day. I have to be honest and say I get more out than I put back but I am willing to discuss tactics etc, with any one who comes along and is willing to listen.
The Martini angler:- Anyfish anywhere anytime
Pat Spillane
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Mr_Green » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 pm

i love the sense of being a hunter gatherer..catching fish with rod and reel, targeting species, makes me feel accomplished if anything... havin somethn 2 talk about in work, have somethin to devote my time 2 and inspire me...fishing does all this 4 me...nature is a pretty big part of the world, and takin pictures of the scenery is deadly too... without fishing id be bored and prob loaded cause of all the gear id buy lol
Mr_Green

Postby codfather » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:04 am

What do i get out of fishing Satisfaction
What do i give to angling Hopefully the right answer to what i am asked
I thought about the one that got away and it did
codfather
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 1 time

g

Postby pookie5488 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:40 am

I get away from a fast paced modern world were you dont get 5 mins for yourself. A challenge to catch and improve and a felling of belonging via meets and this forum. And of course the environment we do our sport in is both breath taking and ever changing good old mother nature.

I hope i return to the sport a some knowledge ( for what is worth) gained and shared with others via meets and in the forum. And also it has now become a family sport so i get to pass on to my daughter for future of the sport.
I would like to join a club that was active in clean ups on beach and our piers. Our school used to and the amount of stuff cleared would blow you away
pookie5488
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:09 pm

its great - as most of you have said - to get out there away from the bustle - to be in a natural setting - i feel ive done something with my time - far better than just watching the telly or going to the cineam - your actively taking part

what do i put back in - well i suppose im always trying to get my other friends to join me for a chuck - and if they dont - i think i educate them in conservation - like why your salmon is half the price of your haddock and the like

going off topic slightly - fanore was absolutely destroyed in rubbish and back up the river as well - one of the worst ive ever seen! :shock:
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby MC » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:55 pm

fishing is the great escape, I mean when I go fishing I focus on the moment all other problems seem to disappear from my mind, it get rid of stress. I also enjoy the friendship and fun that can be had fishing in a group, this is where you get to put something back, you pass on years of knowledge but not too much as part of fishing is to learn and enjoy success of applying that new found knowledge.
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 383 times

what does fishing mean to me

Postby croppyboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:26 am

one word

Relaxation

i love getting out i feel all the pressures lifting off my shoulders i dont care if its p***ing down with rain or sunny just getting a line out is heaven
croppyboy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby lazycod » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:20 am

To me fishing is my world,my life, after all that life can through at you good and bad its good to know that you have a silent friend who listens to your inner thoughts and never talks back but lets you know its there with the heart beat of crashing waves.

I would like to think that what I give fishing is the chance to continue and may they never take it from us...
lazycod

Postby bigtuna » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:27 pm

sharing all the wise words previously getting the head right after lifes stresses, taking in the scenery and environment around you, noticing the joys of nature and putting a sense of perspective upon things :)
also would say that the the sense of invigoration and challenges it provides me with is valued food for the soul, as well as odd time something worthy for the pan!
bigtuna
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions