Bass.... C&R or 1 for the Table. Info and debate

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:14 pm

EDIT by MAC - Need to place info on what is now the first post of a topic

Hi all,

This is some information and debate from another thread on the forum.
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=9066

This information was moved to this thread as the topic moved on from the catch report to conservation of Bass in Ireland.

Kevin.

END of EDIT

Nice Bass, would have been nicer to see it returned.
Do you usually keep them..?

Good to see that more and more bass are being caught all year round in Ireland.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:48 pm

nice catch mate

Catch and release

Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:43 pm

While essentially bass have become an anglers' rather than a commercial species in Ireland, this is no guarantee that they are not captured and sold. In fact, there is every reason to believe they are supplying a lucrative trade. Bass have proved themselves to be a highly vulnerable species, frequenting favored inshore areas where they are exploited with comparative ease.

Emerging data suggest that Irish bass, for reasons we do not fully understand, are more vulnerable than their British/continental equivalents. They have not in recent years enjoyed such strong year classes as have been recorded closer to continental Europe and the species' abundance remains depressed. If bass is to survive in Irish waters, it will require continued protection from commercial fishing.

Source - The Institute for the Marine – Ireland.

T
here is only so long that a sea angler will stand at the shoreline if he or she is not catching fish. There is only so long that the salmon fisherman will cast across a river if he or she regularly comes away empty handed. There is only so long that the continental sports fisherman will tolerate catching no bass on some of the best marks in the country. As an angler for more than 30 years in this country I wonder now what I can contribute to the community through a recreational angling business without causing further damage. Lets face it – a lot of damage has been done. Fish stocks have diminished to a dangerous if indeed unrecoverable level; commercial fishermen find it increasingly more and more difficult to make a living. They seek to use ever more exploitative methods and catch different species not previously deemed suitable targets in order to keep their heads above water. Houses and holiday estates, golf courses, roads and factories are built in areas of high natural beauty and delicate habitats. Gill nets have nearly completely removed one of our greatest natural resources – the salmon. We are forever destroying why it really is that people visit this country and what they hope to experience. In our new headlong rush to acquire material things we trample over many others, most of which are far more valuable than we realise, and some of these we simply can never get back.

I meet so-called progress and technology with a mixture of fear, worry and excitement. The fear I consider is based on often not really fully understanding or appreciating what is meant by progress. When this ‘progress’ is combined with new technology then the issue is often compounded for me and I imagine many people. This new progress and technology are often meant to save time, and give us a greater sense of freedom but apply this logic to recent developments in Ireland and the reverse is often the case. It sometimes appears to me that progress is not necessarily a good thing. Yet without sounding petulant as is often the case with the singular voice, I worry that we are losing, maybe missing or simply overlooking a lot in the face of these advancements. Sometimes one simply can’t help but to be caught up to some extent by the force of these elements, especially the demands we place on ourselves in relation to time. I have spent twenty years in the manufacturing environment and I know the words and phrases, ‘efficiency’, ‘targets’, ‘rationalisation’, ‘cost effective’, ‘improved performance’. These are all dynamic words that by themselves propel us forward in a constant state of subconscious anxiety and stress, rushing and flying around often unnecessarily. We must be more effective, we must improve our performance and yet we remain shackled to time saving and life-improving devices but strangely we are still left with no time to spare!

I have always thought I contributed something to angling that made me a little different. It allowed me to separate myself from those who plunder our natural resources, the exploitative, and the ones who seek profit before considering environment, proper management and sustainability. I practised ‘catch and release’. I was different. I was doing something that I thought elevated me to a higher level. But I have begun to ask what of this ‘catch and release’ that I practise? This summer I have used and consumed thousands of euros of diesel. I have driven to fishing venues in an empty car when I could have carried 3 people with me. How many fly and lure boxes did I open and simply put the expensive wrapping straight in the bin – gone, forgotten, not my problem! How much did my best spinning or fly rod cost and at what expense to the environment? I don’t know! I am also responsible for some of this mad materialistic consumption with disregard for the environment. I have been blinded somewhat through my idealism of ‘catch and release’ that there is in fact a wider necessary application of these words

Through the angling skills passed to me from my grandfather who was a well-known local seaman, I learned an appreciation of the environment; I developed an interest in natural history, weather, conservation and Irish wildlife in general. My parents continued to help me by encouraging me to go fishing and bird watching. They often came along with me, enjoying these natural resources. Today I hope to pass that interest to my own children. But I am going to pass on something else as well – there are hundreds of little things every one can do to help preserve that which surrounds us. We can all practice a wider ‘catch and release’. A ‘catch and release’ that has more significance and further reaching consequences than simply returning fish. These little things are not anything special or elitist. They don’t mark you out in any way but they do make you more sensitive to what you hold valuable to your person and the people and environment around you. When you witness what often seems to be incomprehensible environmental decisions and practices we must continue to be even more determined to protect communities, habitat and environment.

A number of recent studies from other countries have contributed to a growing body of evidence to show that socio-economic benefits may accrue to coastal communities when certain fish species, or certain areas, are managed specifically for recreational angling. These include species and sites in the USA, New Zealand, Australia and Ireland. For example, in Ireland bass has held the status of ‘sport’ fish for more than ten years, such that any individual is allowed to keep only two bass per 24-hour period. As such, commercial exploitation of bass has been somewhat prevented, and the economic value of the species as a resource for angling has been protected. It is unfortunate to say that this is not always the case but in general it does work. This is a great opportunity for all anglers to protect and manage effectively what is in fact a renewable resource.

The European Commission is currently pursuing Ireland in eight cases for breaching EU environmental law. At a recent meeting of commission the Labour MEP Mr Proinsias De Rossa has said, "Ireland has one of the worst records when it comes to respecting European environmental laws. In the five years to 2002, the Commission issued more 'first warnings' over environmental breaches to Ireland than against The Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, Finland, Luxembourg and Denmark combined - 85 versus 77. "During this period, with just one per cent of the EU population, Ireland was responsible for 16 per cent of all first warnings while the country also received twice as many first warnings than France, a country with over ten times our population," Mr De Rossa also said. The Environment Commission has previously stated that 'Ireland's nature is stunningly beautiful'. It won't remain so under this Government," the MEP said.

I realise that this country has enjoyed unprecedented growth over the last 15 years at an unrivalled percentage rate. As a result things like infrastructure and environment have gotten left behind as is evident from above. These important issues are playing catch up and will be for some considerable time and thus governments are subject to attack on these very topics. The necessary steps for government at this juncture would be to ensure that environment does not suffer at the hands of infrastructure costs and so called efficiency. Well-planned and thoughtful infrastructure development involving all stakeholders and experts at many levels will ensure the best way forward.

So as I go through developing this angling business I am to a large extent still going through what I can only call an internal heart felt conflict, I love fishing but if I develop it will I cause more damage? I must remember to practise ‘catch and release’ on every level I can, I must encourage the principles of ‘catch and release’, generate valid and valuable discussion in the future of angling, both recreational and commercial.

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:12 pm

Cracking fish Rodger.As per usual the catch and release gang are at it again. :roll:
Will it ever be possible to post a photo of a good fish where just congratulary replys are posted?

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Hope it feed the family and I hope you enjoy every last mouth full. Well done great fish, a fish of a life time .

Colin

Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:54 pm

really nice catch, as has been said, would have been nicer to see it released again, but everyone to their own.
dunno that its fair to label those who promote catch and release as a 'gang', at the end of the day it is a pro active step to increased bass populations for us all to enjoy in future years....surely that cant be a bad thing? - some members were praising anglers which visited cork harbour for releasing cod recently, to help sustain the species in that area for the future, this should be the same for other species in different areas all around the island.
i dont have a problem with an angler taking a fish for the pot, or two bass as is the legal limit per day in the south, but perhaps everyone should be made aware of the best reproductive size of the species and be more selective where possible as to the size of the bass which they do keep?

catch and release

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:11 am

if its fair to demonstrate a foto of a dead fish on this forum i feel its also fair to express the opposite opinion.

Thanks
Jim

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 am

Well said Jim.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:29 am

Lads, lets not turn this into a whos right and whos wrong debate again, we have been through it many many times before and its old ground. At the end of the day we are all anglers and we should be channelling our energies into tackling the bigger issues at hand rather than having a go at each other.

I would of course much rather have seen that fish released but that would have been my decision. Negative comments made about another angler who has taken the time to post up a picture and a report dont really have a place here to be honest. Should an angler decide to take a fish for the pot, who are we to question it? How much do we know about the guy before we start taking pots at him.....its not really fair is it.

I believe in catch and release as much as the next man, anyone who has ever fished with me or alongside me will testify to that. But on saying that, I have absolutely no issues with anyone taking a fish or two for the pot, bass or not. No-one would mutter if someone took a couple of Dabs home for tea would they? Funny that though as in this part of the country I caught 10 times as many bass last year as I did dabs....

We have much bigger issues at hand than that to be fair. Start educating Eastern Europeans on not killing everything they catch, get involved in the SACN and try and help that way, Write the letters to your TDs and ministers fighting our corner against the commercials but for the love of god dont lets have a go at each other.

Live and let live lads, its been a while since someone was tackled over taking a fish home and I hope its a longer while before it happens again. Its not constructive and all its doing is creating division. Catch and release is a personal decision at the end of the day. Lets leave it at that...
Last edited by petekd on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:32 am

absolutely agree with you jim, with the amount of discussion which is taking place at the moment with the management of bass stocks as a recreational amenity and the damage to future stocks that keeping mature fish can have you should expect large amounts of criticism for posting a picture of a mature bass dead. ive said this before and stand by my point that there should be an upper size limit to bass as these mature fish are the primary breeding fish and the one responsible for the mainstay of future stocks

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:44 am

welcome to the site rodger firstly, great catch and depending on your fishing ethos/beliefs you can ignore the above, laugh at it, nod in agreement but whatever it is dont let it stop you posting here again!

we are all anglers after all

it would be nice to hear what you have to say yourself - i hope you enjoyed eating the fish :)

BASS

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:48 am

Great catch if i caught it and i eat fish i would have kept it to but i dont eat fish

if we cant keep a fish for the pot without getting abuse for its a sad world

keep on posting

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:28 am

Nice fish Roger but what are you doing in my house with it. You didnt even leave a fillet behind the clock

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:01 am

Really nice fish!
Keep posting.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:05 am

Well done Roger! Really nice fish. Hope it tasted as good as it looks!

Personaly I don't see anything wrong with taking 1 or maybe 2 fish home for the table.

If you fish in accordance to all the by-laws and respect them whats the problem.

Pesonaly I think there's something satisfying about putting food on the table that you caught yourself that morning. My father did it, his father did it and so on.

1 man, 1 rod, bringing 1 fish home is not a problem in my book. All the better to him! If the fish wasn't for the table thats a different matter entirely!!! If it aint for the table it goes back in!

My two cents

Ken

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 am

Wasn't trying to have a go.I agree with and enjoyed your piece Jim.I think Pete summed it up perfectly.I just find that every time a photo of a good fish is posted by a proud angler it ALWAYS gets knocked for not being put back.As I have said on previous threads nobody knows The anglers methods on C&R.You could catch thousands of fish and put them back but the one time you take one for the pot the critisism starts.

catch and release

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 am

If an angler catches a fish, enjoys that experience, kills it, then brings it home to eat it - sounds fine to me. We do it sometimes here too.

If an angler catches a fish kills it and takes a foto and posts it to an open forum and others like this, then i think he has to expect some response - positive and otherwise. There is a degree of responsibility here in relation to perception especially in todays difficult angling arena.

I see this is a volatile issue but at no point in time have i seen 'abuse' as expressed by croppyboy in any of the points made - they are simply counter points made to a foto of a dead fish.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 am

Nice fish roger.
Keep posting. Just as well you didn't post it in catch, photograph and release. You might have been shot :D

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:51 pm

im as much for conservation of bass stocks as the next man but taking one or two fish for the pot isnt going to have any MASSIVE effect on the stocks, every session i take one or two because in essence that is what we fish for FOOD and sport.

you would swear he was after posting a picture of a dead puppy or something the way some people go on.

great fish mate :)

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:55 pm

Lovely fish,great fishing,well done.