Marine Research Initiative.

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Marine Research Initiative.

Postby x » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:00 pm

John Browne T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Communications, Marine & Natural Resources with responsibility for marine matters, today announced that he has secured funding to launch a major new collaborative research programme between the Irish fishing industry and Marine Institute scientists.

Three new research projects will be undertaken to provide new information to improve the knowledge and advice available to managers for key fish stocks, important to the Irish fleet. These projects will focus on West of Ireland anglerfish, Celtic Sea cod and the closed area in the Irish Sea.

"Sustainable management of our fishery relies on accurate fish stock information but providing meaningful stock assessments can often be a difficult task. This research will seek to deepen our understanding of the resource and ultimately improve the quality of the scientific assessments and advice, to the benefit of fishermen and managers alike," said Minister Browne.

"These projects represent a great opportunity to develop a strong working relationship between scientists and the fishing industry. Working together and sharing each others knowledge will provide new information and insights that will help addresses key fisheries issues," continued the Minister.

All three projects will commence in November 2006 and run to the end of 2007 and will be funded under the Marine Research sub-measure in the National Development Plan.

Please see below for a detailed description of the three new research projects being undertaken:

West of Ireland Anglerfish This project will involve a survey based assessment of the anglerfish stock off the west and south coast of Ireland. Trawl surveys will be carried out on commercial vessels in the deep waters of the slope at between 200m and 600m. The project will link up with an EU funded project on anglerfish off Donegal and another project being carried out by the Scottish fishing industry and scientists. Overall these three anglerfish projects will survey an extensive area from the south west of Ireland to the north of Scotland using the same trawl gear. The project will also combine scientific and industry knowledge on anglerfish. The data collected will be used to carry out a survey based estimate of stock abundance and so improve the advice for the stock. The results will be discussed with the North West Regional Advisory Council (NWRAC).
Celtic Sea CodThis project will examine the movement of cod in the Celtic Sea area and specifically in the closed box for cod that operates in March and April. Tagging work will focus on cod moving into the box, examine how long they stay in the box and where they go when they leave the Box. The project will use local fishermen's knowledge to enhance the tagging work. Working closely with industry, local boats will be used to tag the cod and establish their movements. The results will be discussed with the NWRAC and will be presented to the EU to help with the development of management plans for Celtic Sea cod.

Irish Sea Cod Box This project will focus on the Irish Sea Cod Box which was established in 2000 to help with cod recovery. There is great debate as to whether the Box should have been closed to all fishing operations thus rendering it more effective. Data will be compiled and computer models will be used to 'simulate' what might have happened with a full closure. The results will be discussed with industry and the lessons learned will be available for discussion with the NWRAC.
x

Postby teacher » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:30 pm

When was the last time the Department provided funding on this scale for species of interest to the recreational sector? Why should research of benefit to the commercial sector be funded by the public when research of benefit to the recreational and tourism sectors is neglected? Why doesn't the commercial fishing sector fund it's own research, like other industries. Enough ranting.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Good point. I suppose the fishing industry is reasonably organised and has the luxury of being able to pay a half dozen lads to lobby regularly for their interests. Farmers are no different. Anglers have to make do with the few individuals who try and do what they can on a voluntary basis with zero budget.

I have long made the point that subsidies are a large part of the evil of commercial fishing. Funnily enough, most commercial fishermen would agree with me there. Basically, the big boys get nearly all the subsidies and the small man gets the shaft.

I'd love if my business got subsidised fuel, grants to improve my equipment, free market research and so forth. Some chance....

One problem is that we do not have a discrete Department of the Marine. It's bundled with Communications and Natural Resources. In all three areas of responsibility, it is failing the nation: we would be bottom of the European communications table but for the accession states, our natural resources are making foreign investors and not the Irish public wealthy and the Marine lads are a publicly funded think tank and grant body for large commercial interests. It's a bloody disgrace.

The attitude from the RFBs is not much better - they appear only to turn their eyes seaward because salmon spend some of their time there. They do a little research on Bass recruitment but without enforcing the paltry legislation we have, their figures might just as well be viewed as income projections for poachers.

I think until we can get just about every angler in the country into some sort of organised body and elect some representation that can lobby for angling interests, things are not going to change much.

Now, call me a cynic (again) but I believe that this latest initiative by the DCMNR to produce their own data on cod/monkfish/whatever is an attempt to produce statistics to 'replace' those ably supplied by ICES so that they can challenge the accepted scientific advice on stock management to give a better chance to get more quota for Irish boats at Horsetrade 2006 come Christmas. ICES published their recommendations for next year on Friday, and lo and behold, we have this statement released before Monday.....
x

Postby teacher » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:16 pm

Sandman wrote:Now, call me a cynic

You're a cynic ;) but in a healthy way.

Sandman wrote:ICES published their recommendations for next year on Friday, and lo and behold, we have this statement released before Monday.....

When is the next Marine Institute Stock Book due to be released? I would be nterested to see the numbers from the Bass survey for this year.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:18 pm

Not sure, but from talking to various people, it appears that this has so far shown all the signs of a good year class for bass. How many of them will still be around in a decade is anyone's guess, unless they really get their act together with poaching.

I've had increasing CPUE stats for bass by anglers being held up to me as evidence that poaching is not really a problem with southern bass stocks. I'd dearly love to see the underlying data to see how many anglers report their blanks in addition to their catches.....

For those interested in the ICES report it's here:-

http://www.ices.dk/aboutus/pressrelease ... ct2006.pdf

The full reports can be accessed on their web site from a link in that page.
x

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions