This takes the biscuit.....

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

This takes the biscuit.....

Postby x » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:42 pm

A little something that appeared in my email, courtesey of some of my SACN colleagues...

In Portugal a sea angling license will be applicable from 1st January.
My Portuguese contacts inform me that the government has complied with
the pressure originating from the Commercial Fishing Lobbies.

According an EFTTA member the money from the said licence is going towards a fund for retired commercial fisherman. Anglers and tackle trade in Portugal continue fighting both the sea license and that the money from licenses are allocated a fund for retired commercial fisherman.

Now, as far as I'm aware, it isn't April Fools' Day (or somemething similar) in Portugal. Doubtless, once established in Portugal, some bright spark will decide it's be a good way to tax anglers here to pay for the pensions of our retired commercial fishermen.

Do anglers want to see this happen here? I very much doubt it. A licence fee might be OK if we had something tangible in return before any such move was put in place - effective and well enforced protection/conservation legislation, for example, assuming that the rod licence fees went to fund it.

I'll bet you one thing, every angler in Portugal will be joining some movement to try to oppose this........
x

Postby merv147 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:47 pm

I can see the pros and cons of a sea fishing licence I would be prepared to pay to fish the sea if I seen one or two things changed. One thing I would like to see changed if I was paying for my sea fishing I that trawlers that do not belong in the waters taken out of the waters that is one thing that has to be changed. And another thing that would be nice to see is that the trawlers can only fish for a number of days in the North Channel say 50-75 days a year and the rest of there fishing is to be done at lest 5 miles out to sea because the way things are going the fish are getting smaller and in less numbers every year they are not getting a chance to grow in the sea. :(
merv147
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby m.b3 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:49 pm

rage! funding the enemy!!! a joke! get them all to retire! might pay for there pension then?!! :wink:
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby corbyeire » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:04 pm

like that suggestion m.b3 - crazy stuff
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby fenitbob » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:54 pm

does anybody remember that report by the mep for the north-west during the year there was a suggestion of some sort of control of the recreational angler...

didn't you always need a fishing license in spain ?
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby ckpainters » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Let me get this right :?: We pay a license to struggle around our coast line two try and catch mostly small fish so that the people who caused the problem get to kick back and have a good retirement. Do they think we came down in the last shower :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted:
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby fenitbob » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:31 pm

wait for it to be confirmed i'd say.
I emailed some guy the fishing section of a Portugese english language news website if he answers I'll let you know.
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby x » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:34 pm

does anybody remember that report by the mep for the north-west during the year there was a suggestion of some sort of control of the recreational angler...

Sean O'Neachtain, MEP, visionary: foresaw conflict between recreational anglers and commercial fishermen over marine resources. I'm glad he's representing me in Europe....
Last edited by x on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
x

Postby fenitbob » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:49 pm

Thank god for politicians
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Steve » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:11 pm

I'm lost for words - outrageous.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby jalfrezi » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:49 pm

kleeneze wrote:Let me get this right :?: We pay a license to struggle around our coast line two try and catch mostly small fish so that the people who caused the problem get to kick back and have a good retirement. Do they think we came down in the last shower :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted:

i don't think that commercial fishermen are to blame for overfishing problem. okay they're the ones who go out and catch the fish but there are loads of other factors; the bottom line is that the market. having fresh fish available at all times in as wide a selection as possible is a luxury that we will have to learn to do without otherwise there'll be bugger all left in the sea for the rest of us to try and win.

fishing for fishermen is a way to earn a living, unless you're some useless shite singer or something you have to make a crust. put robbie williams on a trawler and see what he does!!! the next wave of reality tv programs; release the entertainment industry's finest into the atlantic and have a fleet of trawlers go out and haul them in. i'd volunteer to do the cleaning... i'm a celebrity - gut me out of here...

:shock:
jalfrezi

Postby Drew » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:26 pm

That Original Post is Wild! :shock:
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:48 pm

jalfrezi wrote:
kleeneze wrote:Let me get this right :?: We pay a license to struggle around our coast line two try and catch mostly small fish so that the people who caused the problem get to kick back and have a good retirement. Do they think we came down in the last shower :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted:

i don't think that commercial fishermen are to blame for overfishing problem. okay they're the ones who go out and catch the fish but there are loads of other factors; the bottom line is that the market. having fresh fish available at all times in as wide a selection as possible is a luxury that we will have to learn to do without otherwise there'll be bugger all left in the sea for the rest of us to try and win.

fishing for fishermen is a way to earn a living, unless you're some useless shite singer or something you have to make a crust. put robbie williams on a trawler and see what he does!!! the next wave of reality tv programs; release the entertainment industry's finest into the atlantic and have a fleet of trawlers go out and haul them in. i'd volunteer to do the cleaning... i'm a celebrity - gut me out of here...

:shock:

very good jalfrezi :D
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby x » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:22 pm

I think it's been tried before. Cabin Fever.....

That show was going well until they forgot to go around Tory, instead of through it..... :lol:
x

Postby corbyeire » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:29 pm

i know theyve been stretching the celebrity tag for a long time now - but that crowd on cabin fever were no celebs - mind you appearing on it - would be z list celebrity status nowadays :roll:
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions