A 'Ton' of tope for a few quid (TSF OCTOBER)

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

A 'Ton' of tope for a few quid (TSF OCTOBER)

Postby hairyconger » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:41 pm

Below is a story found in this months tsf about a tope sold for a rediculos amount of money.....i find it disgusting....

Just wondering what everyone else thinks about a matter like this?

:evil:

A tope weighing 110ib has been sold at whithaven fish market for just £4.50.
It is believed to be the biggest tope ever seen and could of weighed in excess of 140ib if in had been in full pup.
The commercial skipper recieved his £4.50, but it cost him £3.00 to have it shipped to the market. So the biggest tope ever seen in european water has died for a mere £1.50.
The fish was alive and healthy in the trawl and in the skippers own words. ' I would of put it back if i had known how little it was worth'. Ironically it was the first tope he had ever caught in his trawl.
We are not printing the details of the trawler and skipper involved, neither are putting any bliam on him, as it is his job to catch fish and sell them. But pressure must be put on the Sea Fisheries Commite to try and get the bylaw pushed through.
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Jonny » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 am

Have to agree with you 100% Hairy.Totally sickening. :evil: :evil: :(
My Photos

Casting Related Photos

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
Jonny
Wayward Legs

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby hairyconger » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:39 pm

Jonny wrote:Have to agree with you 100% Hairy.Totally sickening. :evil: :evil: :(

totally sickening that a skipper who catchs fish for a livivng cant even tell the value of tope on the fish market......110ib tope killed for £1.50.....what chance has the sea got??? :evil: :?
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Postby AnglingDan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:19 pm

That is absolutely disgusting!! i'd like to meet that skipper and stick him in his own net for a while!!!
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life....that is unless he is into sport fishing and practices catch and release.hahaha!!
AnglingDan
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Seancelt » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Should be against the law. :evil: :evil:
There should be a line you just do not cross no matter what. :evil: :evil:
All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!
Seancelt
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions