catch and release.BASS

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

catch and release.BASS

Postby bass boy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:41 pm

If i get a set of scales and have them certified by the weights and measures.ni,and im out fishing,catch another specimen bass and weigh him and release him,will the ifsa recognise the fish as a specimen.can anyone enlighten me on the matter.regards ivan[/b][/i]
bass boy

Postby Ronald » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:49 pm

So long as you have a witness to the capture and weighing of the fish on certifyed scales there should be no problem ,you have to measure the length and girth of the fish as well ,a couple of good photos never go amiss .
even when they need the fish for full id you can take a chance and get some closeup photos showing fins ,gill slits,and mouth, head etc. anything particular to that species should be photographed clearly .
It pays to know your fish species and identifying traits so there can be no mistakes .
If someone shows you a mark to fish, respect it and dont pass it of as one of your own, dont tell every man and his dog about it.
Ronald
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby corbyeire » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:50 pm

youd need to find out the specifics from the IFSA about taking a photo and the angles/set up they prefer

by the sounds of things at the moment they are changing their position to a photograph/honour system - but this has not been finalised etc.
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby BigPhil » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:02 pm

i dontthink with the ifsa that you need any photos, i may be wrong, in the past i have just filled out the required form and forwarded it with witnesses details etc, certificate for scales has to be sent with it.

the ISFC is a different matter though
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby corbyeire » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm

your right there phil - stand corrected was getting the two confused :?
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions