Is any fixed net illegal?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Is any fixed net illegal?

Postby fenitbob » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:04 am

Is any fixed net illegal? I was out fishing in Fermoyle Kerry a few weeks ago. A tourist told me that he had seen a man bring a net down to the water and put it out. he pointed out the mans 4WD vehicle. He was obviously watching the net until the tide covered it. The tourist asked me if this was illegal I said it was and that I would contact the sw Fisheries board (Which I did).

My point is the beach was not empty. plenty people saw this person there is something wrong with the enforcement system when people are as blatent as this.

What should I have done?
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Not sure

Postby John D » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:02 am

I'm not 100% sure but I think they're all illegal.

You did the right thing contacting the fisheries board.

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby Bradan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:00 pm

AFAIK any net fixed at one or both ends is illegal - known as a fixed engine for some reason. Always contact the fisheries board if you see this - as soon as possible
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby fenitbob » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:10 pm

thanks for that :D

thats the second one I've seen in the area this year

I'm a bit peed off to be honest.
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby teacher » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I also wan't sure.

Another problem is that unless you see the net being set, you can't be sure whether it's a net or 2 pots ...

If there's a particular problem with fixed nets in an area, you could also try contacting the Irish Seal Sanctuary. I saw a seal drown in a fixed net off cahore a while back :( so it's not just fish they kill.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:35 pm

Teacher's suggestion has merit. Seals, whales, dolphins, birds, not to mention protected species like bass, salmon & sea trout can get caught in fixed nets, so there are no shortages of places to complain to.

However, any fixed net that remains well below the sea surface even at extreme low water would not be considered illegal is it could not be said to be deliberately set for salmon or sea trout for example.

All demersal gill nets used by commercial fishermen for cod/haddock/pollock/ray etc are fixed at both ends and are legal provided they are not set in such a location or manner where they could be perceived as a deliberate attempt to intercept salmonids or bass.

So, there is a definite grey area there in terms of legislation as far as I can see. Another example of why we need a 3 mile limit from the shore where any sort of netting for fish or shellfish would be prohibited. It'd solve a lot of legal and practical problems with enforcement at a stroke.
x

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions