[Media] Waterford/Wexford and buying/selling bass

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

[Media] Waterford/Wexford and buying/selling bass

Postby jd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:26 am

I was searching for stuff about bass and came across this

http://www.waterford-news.ie/community/ ... sp?j=19094

(Dungarvan Notes August 2005)

GOOD FISHING

With the August spring tides in full spate, many local fisherpeople, both young and old can be seen on the beaches and especially on the foreshore in front of the Cunnigar chasing the elusive bass. This is the best time of the year for the fish and catches are reported to be good. The younger anglers were making the best of their final days of the holidays and they report a good price when their catch is sold locally.
Last edited by jd on Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby RobertMcClean » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:48 am

Thats fu*king terrible it really is. The thing people fail to realise about these areas is its great to get it up and running as a tourist trap but what every Irish person fails to remember that who the hell will police this natural habitat. The answer is simple no one and if someone did it would be once every two weeks or something, big deal. That will not stop the place being raped. I have seen this numerous times over the years were people go out to promote an area only to have it fall right back on their face with every person in the country out to rape it. And the simple fact is no one will police it regularly no matter how much attention it gets. :evil: My theory if you have a good mark keep it to yourself end of.
Thresher
Call Sign: EIDV5
RobertMcClean
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:12 am

how ignorant is the editor of waterford news? that is disgraceful :x
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby teacher » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:10 pm

Is anyone bringing this to the attention of the waterford news?
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:44 pm

Disgraceful stuff indeed, how thick are these people.... :? I'm sure its a genuine mistake but again, how stupid are these people. I'm just thinking, we have all seen the signs regarding size limits and catch limits for bass displayed at known bass marks, I cant remember however if it mentions anything about not being permitted to sell them??? If not then it should. It wont put off disreputable restaurant owners from purchasing them but it might make people think twice about offering them for sale in the first place. A good price.....wonder what that is considering I have seen people selling a carrier bag of mackerel for 2 euro in places in Clare on occasion.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby jd » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:42 pm

To: Editor Waterford News
cc: Southern Regional Fisheries Board
Hi
My name is John Diamond, and I am Treasurer of the Sea Angling Ireland Sea Angling Club, and Technical Administrator of http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org .
While researching information about Bass in the Wexford and Waterford areas, I came across the following article in your newspaper which appears to condone criminality with respect to the fisheries laws.
http://www.waterford-news.ie/community/ ... sp?j=19094

(Dungarvan Notes August 2005)

Quote:
GOOD FISHING

With the August spring tides in full spate, many local fisherpeople, both young and old can be seen on the beaches and especially on the foreshore in front of the Cunnigar chasing the elusive bass. This is the best time of the year for the fish and catches are reported to be good. The younger anglers were making the best of their final days of the holidays and they report a good price when their catch is sold locally.

However, is illegal to fish commercially for Bass in Ireland, and people who do so are liable to receive heavy fines, and to have their tackle confiscated.
It is also illegal for Fish Dealers and Restauranters to purchase such fish and they are also liable to receive heavy fines.

Bass are particularly slow growing fish, and in Irish waters a fish of 10lbs may be 25 years old. There are therefore susceptible to commercial fishing, and we enourage our members to practice catch and release. Legally, An angler may retain 2 bass of 40 cms or over in a 24 period for personal consumption. You may like to remind your readers of this..
Your reporter may also wish to inquire on who is giving "a good price when their catch is sold locally"

Best regards
John Diamond

cc
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=6516
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby jd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:19 am

also..

Forwarded from one of our members..

An email sent to a political rep by one of our web site members- no reply yet...

Here is a letter, that I sent to the "Minister for the Marine", on the 8-12-05. I am still waiting for a reply ????????

Hi

It is well known in fishing circles, (rod & line), that the stocks of Sea Bass, are being plundered around the Irish coast. This is a tragedy, because Ireland is squandering the chance of becoming the Bass fishing capitol of Europe.
One of the best areas is around Dungarvan, Co Waterford, and at the same time, poaching is rampant, with the outcome, that the stocks will not survive. (Bass are extremely slow growing). Most rod and line anglers, now return most of the fish they catch, (about 80%), to assist in conservation. Every bass caught in a net is dead, and the money is part of the "black economy", which means the government doesn't get a cent.
This situation happened with the striped Bass in the USA, a number of years ago, but the fisheries protection people stamped it out for good. Now sportsfishing is a multi million dollar industry, and every year, B&B's,hotels, and guest houses can not cope with the demand along the eastern seaboard, i.e Cape Cod, Boston, Marthas Vinyard etc.
I used to go down to West Cork to fish for Bass, and had many happy times there, but like Dungarvan the poachers have ruined it.

Consider this, one of my Bass trips works out like this:-

Travel from Co Armagh, and fill car with petrol 70 euros
Book into B&B 30 euros per night
Food and drink 40 euros per day
Bait 5 euros per day

All Bass caught, returned alive !

This is good honest money being put into the local economy. Anglers from England, Scotland, and Wales, are now being very vocal on not returning, because of diminishing catches. What a waste.

If these poachers were caught, prosecuted, and the message sent out, that the poaching days are over, Ireland would be a better place. These nets also catch large numbers of Dolphins and Porpoises, something that has helped getting them stopped off the south coast of England.

I would love to see Irelands Bass fishing return to the glory days of the past. This is tomorrows heritage that is being raped and plundered from the sea.

Very angry, working class angler!!
Bass Fisher
SAI Newbie

- Show quoted text -
etc..
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby jd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:45 am

To Wexford Borough Council member...
Hi Ted,

You probably don't know me, but ...........

Anyway, I probably only spend about 10% of my time in Wexford these days. I am involved in some angling sites, and it has been noted that substantial amounts of bass have been kept within the Wexford Harbour area. It is well known that some local ethnic (Hi MSG) restaurants are deliberately targeting bass (eg. at Wexford Bridge).

However there are no signs within the Wexford Harbour regarding the Bass Regulations. Perhaps the Borough council could liaise with the Eastern Fisheries board regarding placing signs wrt the regulations

Tx
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby teacher » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:43 am

Nice work jd.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:56 am

well done jd - hopefully get some positive replies
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jd » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:32 pm

Got a reply..
John,

Thank you for bringing the Waterford News article to our attention. I have passed it on to our Assistant Chief Executive Officer for her attention.

Regards,

xxxx

The views expressed inthis email are solely that of the sender and should not in any way be construed to be those of the Southern Regional Fisheries Board.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

I wrote a letter

Postby John D » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:13 pm

I have also wrote a letter complaining about the ignorance of the article and I have asked them to produce a more educating article in the future.

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby x » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:11 pm

The last letter I wrote to the editor was completely ignored....maybe if they get more correspondence in the same vein they'll spot the pattern and cop on a bit....
x

Bass Sales

Postby drseafish » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:25 pm

I spoke to a local today who needless to say was ignorant about any restrictions on the sale of Bass, he told me a certain individual in Dungarvan buys up all local stock as well as netting himself and sells them to a retailer/monger in Galway.
Anyone know anything about this. Seemingly its a well established market. The individual I spoke to was out in his dingy and asked if he had any Bass to sell!
I think this conversation sums up what is happening down here. There needs to be a some action locally to inform the public and at least make this and other individuals think twice about what they are up to.
drseafish
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby corbyeire » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:39 pm

so maybe the bass in the wonderful market in galway isint of greek origin - not surprised
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jd » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:29 am

letter was printed..
http://www.waterford-news.com/news/story.asp?j=22628
Anyone see the print edition?
jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby corbyeire » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 am

great that you got the letter in - and hopefully they will have it in the print edition aswell

if the editor was any good - they would find out who is buying locally aswell and actually engage in some form of journalism and maybe research...
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Positivity!

Postby John D » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:35 pm

That's very positive.

Well done jd.

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Wexford Bass

Postby riggedtofish » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 am

I live in Wexford and have seen the MSG boys on Wexford bridge its quite a sight to see all the rows of cars on either side and all the rods but whats also interesting is if you walk across the bridge you,ll also see the remains of all the night lines left tied onto the bridge bars why isn't this been policed?
riggedtofish

Re: Wexford Bass

Postby teacher » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:37 am

riggedtofish wrote:I live in Wexford and have seen the MSG boys on Wexford bridge its quite a sight to see all the rows of cars on either side and all the rods but whats also interesting is if you walk across the bridge you,ll also see the remains of all the night lines left tied onto the bridge bars why isn't this been policed?

Report it to the ERFB. You can call them on 01-2787022. Let us know how you get on.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Next

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions