Letter to Relevant Bodies

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Letter to Relevant Bodies

Postby JimH » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Dear Sir

South East Angling Ireland has been actively engaged in developing sportfishing in the south and eastern region of Ireland for the past six years. We provide 4 star accommodation and a high quality saltwater angling guiding service as well as training and instruction to customers from all over the world. The business and self-catering premises is approved by Failte Ireland. SEAi has also received considerable grant aid from W.O.R.D. and their leader program to assist in continued development. I have developed and fostered close working relationships with the eastern and central fisheries board, Bord Failte and several angling support bodies.

As the business develops slowly and the customer base expands over time, people travel to Wexford from Italy, Germany, France and Holland and indeed some people are now travelling from as far as the US to fish in Irelands southeast. One of the strategies I have used in developing the business is the use of high profile and responsible fishing journalism. Many journalists from various high profile magazines have appeared on our shores and they have filled many pages in several different high quality European publications. The second highest selling American saltwater fly-fishing, ‘Fly fishing in Saltwaters’ spent a week in Wexford last year working on an editorial, which is due for publication this month.

This year (2006) Discovery Channel in conjunction with a Canadian production team will make a one-hour television program about the fishing on the south and eastern coastline of Ireland with SEAi. They will be spending eight days on the eastern and southern coastline filming and fishing for their program which is due to air in Europe, the US and Canada over the next three years. Over the summer of 2006 lots of other angling publicists will be visiting SEAi, and just this week a French magazine Loups et Bars spent three days with me promoting Wexford and sea angling. SEAi contributes regularly to Irish Angler magazine. Do you wish me to demonstrate the underbelly of what’s happening in Ireland to these people?

Unfortunately over several fishing seasons I have been witness to what seems to be a continuously un-regulated and often un-challenged illegal bass fishery. I would spend approximately 60 hours a week on our shorelines for 30 weeks of a year and not only do I witness a lot if illegal activity but as more and more people come to SEAi for training, equipment and advice they tell me information and intelligence relating to illegal bass fishing as well. Why only last summer out of lots of illegal incidences one remains with me for ever– as I fished with two customers, one from France the other from the US – illegal fishing of bass went on less than 100 yards in front of me for at least two hours. I reported it to the eastern officers who duly responded but unfortunately were duped by ‘cleverness.

However I am continuously hearing and witnessing the continued illegal catching and selling of sea bass within Wexford and the southern regions of Ireland. Recently as many as forty people were engaged in catching and keeping small school bass from Wexford bridge. After several people whom I know reported these incidents to the relevant fisheries officers and the gardai nothing still was done.

There is not even regional fisheries boards signage on Wexford Bridge in respect of bass fishing byelaws and yet Wexford harbour is one of the most heavily poached regions in the South East. The bass byelaws were set up to protect the species, to assist anglers and to provide the potential for the development of the sea bass sportfishing industry.

I would like to ask the authorities what it intends to do about this situation? I understand fully there may be several issues at stake here but the regularity and apparent efficiency at which this ‘illegal industry’ is allowed to continue surpasses my belief that anything has been done at all.

I am engaged in developing a sportfishing industry in Co.Wexford. The business attracts customers, journalists and anglers from all over the world. It returns a valuable economic contribution to the local economy and portrays Ireland as a picturesque, clean and pristine angling utopia. SEAi indirectly employs three part time people in its business processes and as it continues to develop its reach it will affect more and more people. More and more people are becoming aware of the seemingly apathetic attitude of the relevant authorities and the apparent success of illegal bass trade.

I will not stand idly by and watch the potential of what I am developing through hard work, patience and the constant support of my family and friends, be taken away and undermined by the illegal activity of ignorant thugs who will definitely destroy yet another natural, national resource.

I am performing a legal activity in all parts of my business development. I do my best to sell this country and its angling resources as a manageable, sustainable angling utopia. I have formed business alliances, make considerable and valuable contributions social and economic to the local community in a continued sustainable and managed fashion and yet if I report any of these illegal issues or activities why then do I feel

· That my house, my car my family or myself might need protection?
· There is an illegal industry that exists that nobody wants to confront
· Sustainability or management is never considered
· These issues continuously fall on deaf ears
· Another national resource will be destroyed unless it stops.
· The potential exists for this issue to get worse – much worse in the next few years.

Best Regards
Jim Hendrick
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby x » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Standing ovation from me, Jim. Keep up the good work.
x

Postby cortaz » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:40 pm

keep up the good work jim 8)
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Excellent letter Jim

Postby John D » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm

That is an excellent letter Jim and one I hope action is taken on. I do hope you send it to as many officials as possible and surely one or two of them have to respond and take some action.

Yours faithfully,
John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby fenitbob » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi Jim,
I would be interested to see if you get a reply. keep us posted.
fenitbob
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Codswallop » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Brilliant Jim. Lets hope its taken in!!!!!!

Cods
Codswallop
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby corbyeire » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:48 am

good letter jim
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions