WHY??? Disgraceful!!!

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

WHY??? Disgraceful!!!

Postby thompo » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:48 pm

[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/neilspics5015/index.html/fishing/P1010533.jpg[/img]

[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/neilspics5015/index.html/fishing/P1010534.jpg[/img]

This is the sight we were greeted with at a small slip used in redbay.
Im assuming it was a boat that did this as the end of the peir is a good 60 odd yards away.

I know some people regard doggies as a pest but this i tad extreme! and they could have at least been fired over the side rather than dump them at the end of the slip to rot.

rant over
species so far 2007 (18....)
Conger, Codling, Coalfish, Shore Rockling, Dab, Flounder, Dogfish, 3 beard rocking, Pollack, Whiting, Pouting, Red cod, Poor Cod, Tadpole fish, Short and Long splined sea sculpin, TopKnot, Cukcoo Ray,

Targets: fish over 10lb, eel over 20lb (came VERY close almost :( )
thompo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby x » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:08 pm

Not a pretty sight. Had they been hooked and dumped, or did they come from nets? Most boat anglers, however little they appreciate a cargo of bait-scoffing doggies, will unhook them and return them alive, in my experience. Not that it helps the dogs in any way, but seeing a pile like that washed up makes me think somebody there got them in nets, which they cleaned at the pier and dumped the doggies as by-catch.
x

Postby cortaz » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:34 am

looking at the pic. i would say that the dogs were rod cought
did u examin the mouth area for signs of damage caused by hooks it would have proved/disproved anglers as the culprets
1. no visable signs of gillnet marks
2 the red bruseing was caused by handleing and its in the area where u hold them.
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby Drew » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:36 am

:( Thats not on.
Disgusting.
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby Davy Murdoch » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:03 pm

whoever done this should be ashamed of themselves.i know dogs can be a pain when targeting other fish but there is no need for that.i doubt it was a trawler cos there would be other dead fish washed up and not just dogs.its no wonder some people think fishing is cruel.
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Lads – this is a site common to almost every fishing pier in the country. Most of these fish are taken in the nets, and because they are of little use financially speaking, they are dumped in boxes and left to rot. Some may be used for pot bait, but the majority are left to decompose in the sun. I've seen this countless times on Howth pier. Disgusting practice, and shows just how little most netsmen care for the sea – they only think in terms of euro’s/pounds.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby BigPhil » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:19 am

mmmmmm....not too far around from the pier that the idiots battered a conger to death with a hurl..... :?
i would say its a better chance of holiday makers out fishing and caught ' them auld dogs again' , ive seen this happen a time or two around that neck of the woods years ago, it aint on!
if they were got on a boat i would say that they would have been used by someone for creel bait etc if they arrived back on the pier, id say unfortunately it is more possible due to the number of dogs present that its been shore angler killing them the night before, it sickens me to the limit :evil:
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions