Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:37 pm

shambobala wrote:There should be some efforts made to publicise the ban at known bass marks around the country, and not just a BIG FINE sign, but also an explanation as to why there is a close season.

Tackle/bait outlets and fishing mags would seem to be the way to go. I imagine notices at known marks would need all sorts of approval from local councils.

Great point

Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Excellent point Shambobala. The most important thing is to educate people on the matters at hand.

Perhaps you could start something up yourself?

I will bring this up at the next Bass protection group meeting I have.

Regards,
John D.

Re: Great point

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:06 am

John D wrote:Excellent point Shambobala. The most important thing is to educate people on the matters at hand.

Perhaps you could start something up yourself?

John D.

Bass Vigilantes Ireland ? :twisted:

Seriously though, I can't why the councils / fisheries boards can't put a few signs up themselves where necessary.

Re. volunteer "fisheries officers" if you have contacts in the boards John I'd love to hear their reaction to such a suggestion.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:18 am

I was on to a fisheries officer regarding situation in Wexford. They
*have * done spot checks around the harbour, but have a shortage of staff as they have to develop/protect salmon beds at this time of year too. I also asked about signage, but giving an example of Wexford Quay Front, they have to have the permission of Wexford Borough Council to erect signs/plaques!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 pm

JD, why would the councils object to such signage do you know ?

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:39 pm

shambobala wrote:JD, why would the councils object to such signage do you know ?

I think it's not that they would necessarily object. It's the red tape involved because they would presumably need to research the bass legislation themselves, approve the wording, make sure the sign doesn't obstruct things, make sure it's safe, etc.

Then there are always vested interests who will object to the signage.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:42 pm

in a word teacher - exactly!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:34 pm

teacher wrote:
shambobala wrote:JD, why would the councils object to such signage do you know ?

I think it's not that they would necessarily object. It's the red tape involved because they would presumably need to research the bass legislation themselves, approve the wording, make sure the sign doesn't obstruct things, make sure it's safe, etc.

Then there are always vested interests who will object to the signage.

not a great excuse to do nothing though !

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:48 pm

shambobala wrote:not a great excuse to do nothing though !

Absolutely. Watch this space ...

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:23 pm

Incidentally, the reply to Ciaran Cuffe's parliamentary question was a form answer. Parts of the answer appear word-for-word in a previous Dail debate on 15th April 2003. :x

Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:57 pm

I've been emailing and writing to Pat Breen FG TD for Clare about the inshore trawling, bass ban enforcement and commerical over fishing in general, naturally enough I get a lot of fairly stock answers and get passed around the houses a lot (hoping to bore me until I go away). One interesting stat in FG's Salmon Charter was than a commerically caught salmon is woth (no euro symbol) E50, but a domestic angler catching a salmon is woth E 140 to GNP (foreign angler is worth E1800).

Is there any similar stats numbers available for other species or for sea angling in general ?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:00 pm

shambobala wrote:Is there any similar stats numbers available for other species or for sea angling in general ?

I think there might be some figures on [url]http://www.ukbass.com[/url]. I'll have a trawl after work.