Our not so lovely water!!

Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 pm

The Environmental Protection Agency has said that five bathing areas in counties Dublin, Galway and Waterford have failed to reach mandatory European Union water quality standards.

However, the EPA maintains that most bathing water in Ireland is of a high standard and this is mainly down to the ongoing upgrading of wastewater treatment facilities.

96% comply with EU mandatory standards while 91% comply with more stringent EU guide standards.

Advertisement

Top of the class in the annual assessment of seawater and freshwater bathing areas were Donegal, DĂșn-Laoghaire/Rathdown, Galway city, Louth, Mayo, Westmeath and Wexford whose designated bathing areas complied with all standards.

The five which failed to comply with the minimum tests were Merrion Strand in Dublin city, Sutton Burrow Beach in Fingal, Na Forbacha and Clifden in Co Galway and Ardmore in Co Waterford.
In all five cases, faecal coliforms were detected which indicates the presence of human or animal sewage.

12 other beaches, in seven local authorities, also failed the more stringent EU guide standards.

And bait diggers in and around sutton wonder why they get sick!!!

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

:shock:
Thats poor form for Sutton. No more bait gathering there, for me.

Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Ah lads its grand! You build up immunity when you dig there long enough, even start to forget the smell. Sometimes you even look forward to it :? :? Dont you??

Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Ah jesus who am I kidding I love the smell, its bleed*n gorgeous!! :lol: :lol: