personal letter

Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:08 pm

I posted emails using sandmans letter months ago - and i got about 20 mails or so back

michael moynihan td decided to reply again the other day and asked for my home address

i gave it and next thing i got a letter from minister browne through moynihan to inform me of this committee that was set up to overlook various aspects of the fishing industry/recreation etc.

to cut a long story short the committee was open for public submitions for 30 days from the 25th of march and I received the letter - wait for it! - yesterday the 26th of april

you couldnt be up to them :roll:

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Reply anyway, pointing out that it was sent to you late but that you hope your views are important enough to consider. You might mention that you aren't the only angler in the country and it's not like the rest of us are that hard to contact - in the nicest way possible.

Anyone else get word of this consultation? I didn't.

No!

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 pm

I didn't either.
John D.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:20 pm

the independent group comprises of padraic white, former chief executive of the industrial development agency and author of the De-commissioning report on the irish whitefish fleet, prof. tom collins, chair of the national rural water monitoring committee and john malone, a former scretarty general of the department of ag and food

one of the five outlined remits of the group is to determine the implications on the angling sector of the standing scientific committees recommendations (draft)

OOppps!

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:48 pm

Sorry guys I think I did actually hear something about that. The reason I didn't recall it was because it was in the middle of a fairly long letter that I had sent to me from John Browne. It followed a letter I sent about my concern over the future of sea angling in Ireland. Although I was very grateful of the response it tends to focus more on the current salmon situation. Have a read of it if you want (It's pretty long):

20 April 2006

Our Ref: I:R000215.4

Dear Mr. Devlin,

I refer to your e-mail to Minister Dempsey on behalf of recreational sea anglers (RSAs) and fresh-water anglers. It has been passed to myself for response.

You will be aware that I recently announced proposals for the Wild Salmon and Sea Trout Tagging Scheme Regulations 2006 as well as a number of angling conservation measures. I also reaffirmed the Government's intention to introduce the necessary conservation measures to fully align the management of the salmon fishery with scientific advice in 2007.

In accordance with the recommendations of both the National Salmon Commission (NSC) and the National Fishery Managers Executive (NFME), I propose to set the total allowable catch (TAC) for 2006 at 91,367 for the commercial sector and 15,000 for the angling sector. The commercial quota, allocated per fishery district, is set out in the proposed tagging regulations. I am also introducing new Bye-laws to provide for a reduction in the angling bag limits nationally and compulsory catch and release in 8 fishery districts from 1 September 2006.

The draft regulations and conservation Bye-laws are consistent with the advice tendered by the NSC for the 2006 season with the following exceptions:

(a) Draft Bye-law No. 802 provides for the restriction on the annual angling bag limit of 10 fish per angler for 2006. The NSC had recommended a limit of 15 fish per angler.

(b) Draft Bye-law No. 803 provides for the introduction of compulsory catch and release provisions from 1st September until the end of the season in 8 fishery districts which are not meeting conservation limits. NSC proposed voluntary catch and release.

In addition three technical amendments have been incorporated into the 2006 tagging regulations on the advice of the NFME. The amendments provide for:
 the latest date by which angling and commercial fishing logbooks should be returned to the fisheries boards;
 specification in the regulations of fines/ penalties in respect of a contravention or failure to comply with the regulations; and

 the return of unused tags with angling logbooks including data in relation to fish caught and released.

I have also accepted the NSC recommendation that measures should be considered to deal with the exploitation of multi-sea winter stocks, including consideration of the length of the angling season. The advice of the standing scientific committee will be considered by the fisheries managers and appropriate measures will be recommended to me in time for implementation in spring 2007.

The NSC also recommended that the standing scientific committee be asked for its advice on the management of sea trout stocks. I expect to receive this advice over the coming months.
The Standing Scientific Committee has indicated that mixed stock fisheries pose particular threats to the status of individual stocks and that fisheries operated in estuaries and rivers are more likely to fulfil national and international obligations. In this context the National Fisheries Management Executive has identified a range of pilot projects to facilitate the commercial fishery to move from areas of indiscriminate mixed stock fishery exploitation. The feasibility of these projects will be evaluated by the Department in conjunction with the fisheries boards and the Marine Institute with a view to their implementation in 2007 and beyond.

I appreciate that full alignment with the scientific advice in 2007 may create difficulties for the commercial sector. In order to determine the likely extent of the problem and devise ways of dealing with the situation I have decided to appoint an independent group to examine the implications of aligning the quota with scientific advice from 2007. The group is also authorised to make recommendations on the options available to address any financial hardship that may arise for individuals involved in commercial salmon fishing.

The group will comprise three independent experts, Padraic White, former Chief Executive of the Industrial Development Agency and author of the De-commissioning Report on the Irish Whitefish Fleet, Prof. Tom Collins, chair of the National Rural Water Monitoring Committee and John Malone, a former Secretary General of the Department of Agriculture and Food.

The specific remit of the Group will include:
• Advise the Government of the implications of fully aligning with the scientific advice and in particular the hardship that may arise for individuals in coastal communities.
• Determine the scale of financial loss which will be experienced as a result of measures imposed on the commercial salmon fishery
• Make recommendations, if appropriate, to address any financial hardship experienced
• Consider the extent to which those stakeholders, who would be the main economic beneficiaries of more salmon being returned to the rivers, should contribute to any scheme, whether in cash or in kind including improved tourist access
• Determine the implications for the angling sector

As this is an extremely complex issue, I have endeavoured to ensure that the independent group have as broad a remit as possible to enable them to study all the factors involved. I expect they will consult broadly with all the stakeholders in the sector and take account of the socio-economic effect on vulnerable rural communities of any changes.

I expect that the independent group will present their report to me at the end of August 2006.

The draft regulations together with proposed bye-laws and background information are available on the Department’s website, http://www.dcmnr.ie, inland fisheries.

Any person may submit objections to the draft regulations in writing to the Inland Fisheries, Marine Leisure and Research Division, Department of Communications Marine and Natural Resources, Leeson Lane, Dublin 2. or electronically to inland.fisheries@dcmnr.ie any time during the period of 30 days commencing on 25 March 2006.

In relation to monofilament netting under existing measures it is prohibited. However it is proposed to allow limited fishing with these nets in Cork Harbour. The decision was taken on the advise of the South Western Regional Fisheries Board which carried out a pilot project over a three year period to access whether such nets should be allowed in this area.

In the circumstances it would not be appropriate to meet with any individual or group while the independent group is considering this matter. I would encourage you to engage in consultation with the independent group.

I trust the above clarifies the position for you in the matter.

Yours sincerely

John Browne

Mon May 01, 2006 9:57 am

fair play john D - thats the exact same letter i got - just too lazy to type the lot out on a friday afternoon - still had work to do for once :o

Tue May 02, 2006 5:09 pm

how about asking the committee to hold a public question and answer session some day and to publisise it well in advance through all the correct channels...eg, cfb, ifsa, efsa etc? then they would get all the info and problems that they want to sort out?

Wed May 03, 2006 1:32 pm

it says above that "In the circumstances it would not be appropriate to meet with any individual or group while the independent group is considering this matter. I would encourage you to engage in consultation with the independent group" - maybe now that it has passed the - consideration period - they would be more open to meeting with a group :?