Maybe just maybe they are starting to listen

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:23 am

Cod taken off the shelves at Asda to preserve stocks

Asda, Britain's second biggest supermarket, is removing North Sea cod from its shelves in response to the dramatic collapse of natural fish stocks.

In a sign of how overfishing has devastated the once-plentiful cod off Britain's coast, the supermarket said that it would suspend sale of North Sea cod by July. It said the move had been influenced by attacks from environmentalists for its sale of endangered fish such as cod, which is heading towards commercial extinction in the waters off Britain.

full story http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... ory=684386

Andy

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:47 am

Great News.... Hopefully other suppliers such as Tesco will follow.

Kev

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:13 pm

On a sort of related subject I want to recommend this book, 'End of the Line' by Charles Clover. He talks about the North Sea situation amongst other fisheries, very interesting if not somewhat depressing. For anybody interested in the conservation of our oceans its a must.

Keep it going!

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:28 am

Finally we are slowly starting to get somewhere. Now let's hope we all keep it going. Pleeeeeeeeease!!!!

John D

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:53 pm

Yeah, even the trendies are starting to take note. I see Nigel Slater the chef and editor of the Food Magazine supplement in The Sunday Observer makes a point of saying which fish are safe to eat from a sustainable point of view. It starts with a trickle...
I read "End of the Line" recently but as a matter of personal choice I thought "In a Perfect Ocean:The State of Fisheries and Ecosystem in the North Atlantic Ocean" which was previously recommended by Sandman was a really good book. Very compact but to the point.