fisheries officers

Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:30 am

I recently had a run in with a couple of fishery officers whilst fishing here in West Cork. I was approached at night by a couple of fellas asking if I'd caught anything and being open and happy to talk I told them I'd had nothing. They identified themselves as fisheries officers and things went downhill from then. One of them immediately was of the opinion that i was targeting Bass (not illegal) and quizzed me on the Bass regulations, he was very antagonistic and argumentative. I assured him I'd caught nothing but he continued to be very aggressive and threatened to search my car. I lost my temper by then and told them I wasn't going to answer any more of their questions and they should leave me alone. I may have used some colourful language at this stage. The arsey ones partner apologised for his colleagues behaviour as I was leaving a while later. They had hung around in their van until I'd packed up and left. All very intimidating.
Anyone else had any experiences with these individuals?

Re: fisheries officers

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:58 pm

I think the way some of them act is a disgrace. Did you see the video of them couple weeks ago down in cork one of them snapped a young lads rod. Also heard they did it to a local 14 year old up in donegal 3 weeks ago.
They also too fishing gear off a boat at the weekend up in Teelin.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:34 pm

A link would help.

I'd never took much notice of hear say.

While there is always go and bad in life I can say that they have never let me down, even when I put in a call on behalf of an other anglers.

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:48 pm

The video was taken down as there is a Garda investigation about it.

This was the IFI response in a post in facebook 24th July they have obviously received a lot of backlash on this video. All you need to do is look at the comments under the post.

"Inland Fisheries Ireland strongly condemns the posting of threats and abusive comments towards Fisheries Officers on Facebook and other social media outlets. IFI is working closely with An Garda Siochána to investigate threats made on such platforms against officers, their families and their homes."

Link - https://www.facebook.com/inlandfisherie ... 5243988412

Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:56 pm

Point taken and thank you for the link.

For legal reasons I'll lock this topic until the outcome is finalised.