to buy local or not

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

to buy local or not

Postby fisherman59 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 am

so im a long time fishing well over 50 years and I have always supported tackle shops in Ireland I need a new reel and got one recommended by a well known angler but heres the thing I went on to the irish sites and the cheapest was 187 euro so I went on to oversees sites and I can get the same reel delivered for 163 euro its a no brainer
fisherman59
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 84 times

Re: to buy local or not

Postby JimC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 am

It's a sticky wicket really!
I would call in to my local shop and ask for a price. Tell them that the reel is available cheaper online and show the site if necessary.
At least the local shop can contact their representative and may get a deal. It may be a special that the online shop has going.
You should not feel guilty about getting a good deal. We all need to support our local shop to ensure that they will survive. That doesn't mean buying everything there. You may find the shop may prefer to sell you other stuff that there is a greater margin on!
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby donal domeney » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:27 am

I'll always shop local https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php Bought rods and reels from Dan at a lower price than were advertised on the Web site.

Tackle dealers don't want stuff laying around on shelves, show them the money and ask for their best deal. If you are a regular customer they should be willing to give you a good discount.

By the way what reel you looking to buy.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:11 pm

donal domeney wrote:I'll always shop local https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php Bought rods and reels from Dan at a lower price than were advertised on the Web site.

Tackle dealers don't want stuff laying around on shelves, show them the money and ask for their best deal. If you are a regular customer they should be willing to give you a good discount.

Bought a rod off him yesterday and waders last month. Shipping is fast, packaging is good and price is also good.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.

For this message the author Go Big or Go Home has received thanks:
donal domeney (Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:23 pm)
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby fisherman59 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11 pm

donal domeney wrote:I'll always shop local https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php Bought rods and reels from Dan at a lower price than were advertised on the Web site.

a shimano ultegra 1400 xsd
fisherman59
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 84 times

Postby donal domeney » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Had a look on the net some difference in the pricing. :evil: :evil:
It's like car and house insurance they pitch you a price and see if you will go with it.
All your local shops are open to doing a deal on the price.

I can see why you are looking at going to the uk for one. :oops: :( :(
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions