Something to be happy about

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Something to be happy about

Postby John D » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:22 pm

I was fishing on Ballydonegan Strand on the Beara Peninsula the other day. I have caught Bass when spinning here before. I saw the floats of a gill net forming a semi circle that took up nearly half of the bay. It was only a couple of meters from the shore. Although I wasn't too sure whether there was something wrong here I reported it to the fisheries board anyway. They said they would look into it. Two days later I turned up to fish it again and to my delight I saw a fisheries board law enforcer officer present in a van. I went over to him and got into a discussion. He said that what I saw was illegal. The nets were not there at this time so he said thanks and we said our goodbyes. However he proceeded to drive a little further out along the side of the bay. He came back to me and gave me his binoculars. When I looked through them I saw that the net had been moved and re-positioned. Very good observing from him I thought. Anyway he said that he knew the best time to come back and ambush the perpetrator. The moral of the story - We can make a difference!!!
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby corbyeire » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:46 pm

fair play - interesting that they had moved it after your report
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby x » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:31 pm

Quality. I hope they get the guy and throw the book at him. Keep up the good work!

It's so good to hear something positive on the enforcement front.
x

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions