News: proposal for protection of threatened marine species

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

News: proposal for protection of threatened marine species

Postby jd » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

From the Sunday Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irel ... -x93s6m25r

A report from the Irish Wildlife Trust (IWT) has urged the government to introduce legislation to afford legal protection to 48 marine creatures, including sharks, rays, sunfish and turbot, which are under threat from global warming, pollution and overfishing.

Protecting Our Ocean’s Wealth: a proposal for legal protection of threatened marine species also urges the government to make it an offence to hunt sharks in Irish waters without first obtaining a licence from the National Parks and Wildlife Service, a branch of the heritage department.

The trust is seeking a complete ban on fishing for sharks and rays from kayaks, which has become popular in places such as Co Donegal. The practice involves enthusiasts filming themselves using fishing rods to catch porbeagle sharks, a critically…
Attachments
iwt.jpg
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: News: proposal for protection of threatened marine spec

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:50 pm

i never did like the fact they drowned the 6 gill sharks in clare that time...
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Rob Millard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Only the first one caught was killed, and it was given to UCG marine science department for research purposes if I remember correctly. All the other ones have been released.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
corbyeire (Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:44 pm)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JimC » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm

I was sent a link to the "report" from IWT. It is not the most professional document I have come across.
Have a read....
https://drive.google.com/a/iwt.ie/file/ ... =drive_web

For this message the author JimC has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:01 am), johnwest (Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 am), mickser (Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Budner » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am

JimC, It might not be the most professional document but its a very frightening read. Very sad .........i dont like to say i hope things get better because hope gets us nowhere its action thats needed now........immediately .
Budner
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 10 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions