Switch to full style
This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.
Post a reply

Under size

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:52 pm

I have heard a lot of people keeping as much fish as they like even though a lot of them are under the legal size limit. Most people know the size for bass but what about other fish not knowing what the size limit is leaves you to think you can take whatever you like to take home for the pan.But not so the European union has a limit on all fish you can legally keep for the pan. See hear = https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =749378102 So no more excuses saying I thought I could take whatever I caught for myself is ok. The rules are there lets abide by them to start off I would like to see all competitions being fished under the I.F.S.A. Regulations being fixed to these size limits and make it known to all that it exists otherwise we get what we deserve NO FISH LEFT IN THE OCEAN.
mickser

Re: Under size

Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Those sizes are tiny! 200mm or 8" mackerel? Maybe if you were using it as bait for something else.

Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:57 pm

The IFSA have rules from 2013 (soon to be amended) with min sizes - http://www.ifsa.ie/rules/
page 7 - competitions and competition rules
point 11. "The following minimum sizes to apply to fish to be retained for culinary use: Bass - 45 cm from tip of snout to fork of tail, Coalfish/Pollock – 30 cm, Cod - 40 cm, Conger Eel - 80 cm, Flatfish – 25 cm, Haddock – 30 cm, Ling – 60 cm, Thornback Ray – 45 cm wingspan. Blonde Ray – 45 cm wingspan. In order to ensure the protection and conservation of sea fish, all members of clubs affiliated to the Irish Federation of Sea Anglers must observe these measurements."

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Did anyone ever see the amount of tiny fish that get caught in trawler nets,it doesn't matter how big the mesh size is ,if you pull it tight it closes its diamond shape.more eu nonsense .i think most responsible anglers can police themselves without needing official laws

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 am

corbyeire wrote:The IFSA have rules from 2013 (soon to be amended) with min sizes - http://www.ifsa.ie/rules/
page 7 - competitions and competition rules
point 11. "The following minimum sizes to apply to fish to be retained for culinary use: Bass - 45 cm from tip of snout to fork of tail, Coalfish/Pollock – 30 cm, Cod - 40 cm, Conger Eel - 80 cm, Flatfish – 25 cm, Haddock – 30 cm, Ling – 60 cm, Thornback Ray – 45 cm wingspan. Blonde Ray – 45 cm wingspan. In order to ensure the protection and conservation of sea fish, all members of clubs affiliated to the Irish Federation of Sea Anglers must observe these measurements."
I Would like to see charter skippers enforcing this too as the size of some fish that you see being kept is ridiculous. I realise that its hard for a skipper to get on to a customer but if they had the size limits displayed they could explain thats the law and their hands are tied.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:08 pm

some of the tiny fish you see in fishmongers would also drive you mad, there should be the official list on display in every fish shop and none below that for sale

Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Nice idea corbyeire I never thought of that it could also extended to all Fishmongers and every where else that has anything to do with fish
Post a reply