A call to arms - the juices are flowing!

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

A call to arms - the juices are flowing!

Postby John D » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:45 pm

To all passionate sea anglers:

Check this excerpt out from a piece Ashely Hayden published in the apparent last ever edition of 'Irish Angler's Digest'.

I can tell you now that it has certainly got my juices flowing and has motivated me to help - big TIME!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how inactive us sea anglers are - especially from a lobbying perspective. Considering how much we love our sport and how deep our passion for sea angling runs it's very mysterious how little we do in trying to conserve our fish stocks.

I don't know in what capacity I can help Ashley - I'm just a bog standard joe soap from outer Dublin. However, I am definitely stating my availability to help in whatever way you think I would be useful.

The very best of luck with your endeavours - or should I say 'our' endeavours because we will all certainly benefit from any success there is to be had.
Attachments
A call to arms 3.jpg
A call to arms!
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!

For this message the author John D has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm)
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Re: A call to arms - the juices are flowing!

Postby corbyeire » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:29 pm

hi John,

hate to be defeatist but after numerous years as the con/poll officer in the IFSA - conservation does not make the agenda - its very low priority
online talk is cheap lots of the classic "someone should" etc. etc. but no one putting their time and money behind it

chasing ministers, submitting proposals, taking positions lobbying IFI, depts , etc. all coming to nout

we need data to show how our resource is being decimated - no good saying they used to be bin lids etc. etc.

i championed this http://records.biodiversityireland.ie/s ... saFishSite to build up our database so we have data to challenge our governments inaction - but our own anglers have not taken this oppurtunity

this is a huge battle and its a marathon and more anglers and resources will be needed to get anywhere near what Ashley is talking about

For this message the author corbyeire has received thanks:
John D (Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:53 pm)
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby Ashley Hayden » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:05 pm

It's not a question of being defeatist Brian if we do nothing nothing gets done.

Yes there are only a few sticking their heads above the parapet and yes we all have jobs which limit our effectiveness causing yours truly to miss addressing the IFSA meeting we discussed a while back and by the way I am still open to the opportunity so lets see what can be arranged you have my number.

As for relevant data there is lots available to highlight rapid decline in our marine resource both fish stocks and habitat and also plenty of financial data available which clearly shows the opportunity cost of maintaining the current status quo.

You are correct that there is no counter lobby from sea anglers to challenge Government inaction and that is where my "Call to Arms" is aimed at, however the time has never been more right to develop and progress a wider stakeholder engagement with how Ireland manages its marine resource, we just have to believe, pull together, source funding (which is out there), collaborate with like minded organisations both at home and abroad, continue to educate within the wider community and think smart.

For this message the author Ashley Hayden has received thanks:
John D (Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:54 pm)
Ashley Hayden
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 209 times

Postby John D » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Before I read Ashley's reply I was going to reply to Corbyeire's post by saying 'you're not being defeatist, you're just being real. We need to be realists. That way we know exactly what the facts are and what needs to be done to change them.'

I'll admit that Corbyeire's post did depress me a little and made me wonder what it's all about.

But when I read Ashley's reply I felt good again.

That told me a few things.

1.) The success of this depends massively on attitude and belief. I think Ashely has a great attitude and I believe in what he's doing. Ashley also seems to strongly believe in what he's doing.
2.) I'm obviously a bit fickle and sensitive :? :? :?

So the best of luck and again I'll state I'm here to lend my support in whatever way I can. I mean that. I will do anything to help, however big or small e.g. write a letter, type a letter, send an e-mail. picket and lobby with posters, drive down to Wicklow to deliver/collect stuff, do a beach clean, attend meetings, share articles on social media - ANYTHING!

Regards and again the very, very best of luck!

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions