bass regulations kerry

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Have to say at this stage as a reasonably intelligent man interested in conservation and angling no Iidea what's going on. I fish in kerry more than anywhere else for bass. I love fishing for bass and I love eating a bass with my family every so often. Well I'dsay last yyear I ate 3? Now I'm looking at maps saying you can keep a bass in kerry the first 6 months of the year. Couldn'tbe vclearer on the map. Just read Jimc top euro fish and it says "technically" this is the case yet ifi "recommend" to c&r all year? So many contradictions technically v recommended? We'reIin the 2 month of the year and very confusing

Re: bass regulations kerry

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:49 am

Have to agree with you patk.
Kerry is in ICES Area v11j and has a one bass per day limit all year with the exception of June.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:04 am

I'm also finding these new rules a bit confusing, I'm based in Cork so I'm guessing I can't keep a bass until the 2nd of July??? I catch my fair share of bass per year and keep about 4-5. These new regulations I personally find a bit harsh, I'm wondering will angler's obey these new regulations?

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:25 am

stevey wrote:I'm also finding these new rules a bit confusing, I'm based in Cork so I'm guessing I can't keep a bass until the 2nd of July??? I catch my fair share of bass per year and keep about 4-5. These new regulations I personally find a bit harsh, I'm wondering will angler's obey these new regulations?

If you are fishing in Cork and West of Longitude 09 degrees you are in Ices Area V11J and have a one bass per day bag limit all year.
The new regulations apply East of 09 degrees W.
I would advise RSA'S to abide by the new regulations as an infringement may incur a heavy fine.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:16 pm

gannet wrote: If you are fishing in Cork and West of Longitude 09 degrees you are in Ices Area V11J and have a one bass per day bag limit all year.
The new regulations apply East of 09 degrees W.
I would advise RSA'S to abide by the new regulations as an infringement may incur a heavy fine.

There should be a good crowd fishing the Warren so :lol:

BASS BAN W 9.00.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I reckon that IFI have not helped the situation here at all. They brought out a statement that new Irish Law is required. The fact is that EU regulations become law here once published. Irish law can be enacted if more stringent than EU. IFI may bring in a new law to cater for the whole country as distinct to the three bass fishing areas we now have due to the EU regs and current Irish law.

The picture below gives you an accurate picture of the current EU Regulations and Irish Law.

Will anglers obey the new regulations? -It will be the same as always - Anglers will. Knackers won't :)

eaa bass 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:06 pm

Come Bass fishing in Donegal, it looks like the Eurocrats have forgotten all about us! :mrgreen:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Come Bass fishing in Donegal, it looks like the Eurocrats have forgotten all about us! :mrgreen:

Is there any Bass to be caught in Donegal though :cry:

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Come Bass fishing in Donegal, it looks like the Eurocrats have forgotten all about us! :mrgreen:

Donegal, no change, 3 bass/day similar to the north coast of NI where they have all but disappeared. :(

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Donegal is the same as the rest of the yellow section. 2 fish and closed season. That should change though....

Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Ken Hawk wrote:

Is there any Bass to be caught in Donegal though :cry:

Sure there is. And they're pretty special too. One Donegal Bass is worth at least ten from the south coast!

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:20 pm

Is there the usual 15 May - 15 June close season everywhere or just yellow zone? Seems there isn't?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 am

patk wrote:Is there the usual 15 May - 15 June close season everywhere or just yellow zone? Seems there isn't?

Everywhere.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:42 am

I totally agree with you jim, it's down to the individual, bye the way I will be obeying these new regulations,Out of curiosity has an angler ever been convicted of keeping more than two bass over 40cm in the original regulations???

Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:55 am

whats the difference between C&R and an outright ban for 6 months???............

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:15 am

stevey wrote:I totally agree with you jim, it's down to the individual, bye the way I will be obeying these new regulations,Out of curiosity has an angler ever been convicted of keeping more than two bass over 40cm in the original regulations???

Not many! Here's one from last year....
http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ca ... 36522.html

Case centres on whether man had two or three fish

Friday, June 12, 2015Anne Lucey
A keen south Kerry fisherman, a member of an angling club for 20 years, is being prosecuted for landing and killing three sea bass on the shores of Derrynane Bay.

Stephen Bradshaw, aged 49, of Seaview, Sneem, was before Cahersiveen District Court yesterday on foot of being summonsed by Inland Fisheries Ireland. He is accused of taking and killing “more than two bass” on October 21, 2014, at The Beach, Derrynane Beag, Derrynane, in the South Western River Basin District.

However his solicitor Padraig O’Connell said it was a joint enterprise, as there were two men fishing and four fish. “The question is whether they each had two fish each,” he said.

He was applying for disclosure and all documents relating to the allegation and the matter was adjourned to July to allow this.

It is an offence to kill or have more than two bass, other than imported bass, in any 24-hour period.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:17 am

Paddy002 wrote:whats the difference between C&R and an outright ban for 6 months???............

Outright ban would be no bass fishing at all. Our "closed season" is an example - Illegal to target bass during the closed season!

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:27 am

patk wrote:Is there the usual 15 May - 15 June close season everywhere or just yellow zone? Seems there isn't?

Just the yellow area but include the coast of Donegal which is part of the Republic. There is talk of IFI proposing legislation. I would imagine it might streamline the situation into one area/one regulation?

Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:34 pm

JimC wrote:

Just the yellow area but include the coast of Donegal which is part of the Republic. There is talk of IFI proposing legislation. I would imagine it might streamline the situation into one area/one regulation?

Whatever happened to the 15 May/15 June close season in the red area? ( Kerry& West Cork.)
Donegal is in ICES area V1a which is not affected by the new regs.
I agree that IFI need to clarify the situation soon.

Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 pm

I think there are so many variables in all of this that it allows chancers to get away with whatever they want. What I mean by this is the old adage "The devil can cite the scripture for his own use" could be applied here. How these conflicting confusing "regulations" are so difficult to understand by anglers here wanting to do the right thing must be like manna from heaven for fellas chancing their arm. I imagine in the case of anyone being prosecuted for breaching the regulations could easily find more holes in the written regulation than in a Gill net. Judges and solicitors would have some eyebrows raised in a court of law with this being brought before them.