Bass - Emergency Measures 2016

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Re: Bass - Emergency Measures 2016

Postby JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Crevan wrote:I'm all for C&R and conservation and I welcome these new changes to legislation.

My concern:
If IFI officers couldn't manage to properly police (in my area anyway) the previous laws, will new legislation make any difference?
You can have as many laws and legislative instruction you want but if it is not going to be enforced then what's the point?

Are not all laws really for the law abiding? Criminals will flout the law in any case.
Corby is spot on. All we can do is educate and be vigilant.
IFI work with limited resources. They are the only show in town. I think it is up to anglers to make sure that their area is getting its fair share of those limited resources by engaging with IFI.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Crevan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:00 pm

Jim, with respect, I am sick of reporting incidents to IFI and have seen nothing done.

I recently applied for a Freedom of Information request to IFI outlining the number of convictions, cases pending and "on the spot fines" within the Wexford region over the past 5 years.
What came back, eventually, reinforced my views and really portrayed the IFI in a very dim light.
I'm aware that resources are limited, my resources in teaching job are limited too (often I pay for materials/resources from my own pocket) but I still manage to do my job

For this message the author Crevan has received thanks:
beachbuddy (Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 am)
Crevan
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 78 times

Postby JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:55 pm

You're Ok Crevan! I understand your frustration....
I am not just talking about reporting to IFI here. It is important that people as a group meet with IFI locally and find out regarding bass:
What the current situation is?
What is the plan? How is the plan progressing?
Is the plan a success or failure?
What needs to be done to progress further?
Meetings need to be continued even when there might seem to be little to discuss. People by nature like the ball to be dropped and plans left slide.

Like any organisation IFI surely has some jobsworths employed. They also have some committed and motivated people. I have met both types :)
JimC

Postby cod chaser » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Hi lads, is the closed season 15 May - 15 June is this now scraped or will still be in forced.
cod chaser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby JimC » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:01 pm

It will be scrapped.
JimC

Postby cod chaser » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 pm

That's great Jim was hoping it would cheers
cod chaser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby JimC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:17 am

The Bass measures agreed at the December EU Council Meeting have been published in the EU Journal and therefore become law at midnight tonight (28th Jan).
The full text is here and bass is dealt with in article 10
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... LL&from=EN
Article 10

Measures on Sea bass fisheries

1. It shall be prohibited for Union fishing vessels to fish for sea bass in ICES divisions VIIb, VIIc, VIIj and VIIk, as well as in the waters of ICES divisions VIIa and VIIg that are more than 12 nautical miles from the baseline under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom. It shall be prohibited for Union fishing vessels to retain on board, tranship, relocate or land sea bass caught in that area.
2. From 1 January to 30 June 2016, it shall be prohibited for Union fishing vessels to fish for sea bass and to retain on board, relocate, tranship or land sea bass caught in the following areas:
(a)
ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIId, VIIe, VIIf and VIIh;
(b)
waters within 12 nautical miles from baseline under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom in ICES divisions VIIa and VIIg.
By derogation from the first subparagraph, the following measures shall apply in the areas referred to in that subparagraph:
(a)
a Union fishing vessel deploying demersal trawls and seines (31) may retain on board catches of sea bass that do not exceed 1 % of the weight of the total catches of marine organisms on board;
(b)
in January 2016 and from 1 April to 30 June 2016, Union fishing vessels using hooks and lines, and fixed gillnets (32) may fish for sea bass and retain on board, relocate, tranship or land sea bass caught in that area not exceeding 1 300 kilograms per any vessel per month.
3. From 1 July to 31 December 2016 it shall be prohibited for Union fishing vessels using hooks, lines and fixed gillnets to fish for sea bass in quantities exceeding 1 300 kilograms per any vessel per month and for Union fishing vessels using other gears to fish for sea bass in quantities exceeding 1 000 kilograms per any vessel per month in the following areas:
(a)
ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIId, VIIe, VIIf and VIIh;
(b)
waters within 12 nautical miles from baseline under the sovereignty of the United Kingdom in ICES divisions VIIa and VIIg.
During that period, it shall also be prohibited for Union fishing vessels to retain on board, relocate, tranship or land quantities of sea bass exceeding the quantities set in the first subparagraph caught in those areas.
4. The catch limits set in paragraphs 2 and 3 shall not be transferable from one month to another or between vessels. Member States shall report to the Commission catches of sea bass per type of gear not later than 20 days after the end of each month.
For Union fishing vessels using more than one gear in a single calendar month, the lowest catch limit set in paragraph 3 for either gear shall apply.
5. From 1 January to 30 June 2016 in recreational fisheries in ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIIa and from VIId to VIIh, only catch-and-release fishing for sea bass, including from shore, shall be allowed. During this period, it shall be prohibited to retain on board, relocate, tranship or land sea bass caught in that area.
6. In recreational fisheries, including from shore, not more than one specimen of sea bass may be retained per fisherman per day during the following periods and in the following areas:
(a)
from 1 July to 31 December 2016 in ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIIa and from VIId to VIIh;
(b)
from 1 January to 31 December 2016 in ICES divisions VIIj and VIIk.
JimC

Postby Kalim77 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:32 pm

So Jim, we are back to this again, that is saying, unless I am wrong. Is that in Kerry we can keep 1 bass a day?
That is not what inland fisheries are saying. One way or another I just want to know as this is crazy.
Kalim77
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gannet » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Looks to me like ICES Areas VIa,VIIb and VIIj, (Donegal to West Cork) are unaffected by this regulation and it's one bass a day all year, except the one month close season.
gannet
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby JimC » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm not going to be confused at all! I will fish to the EU regulations until advised otherwise via new Irish regulations and indeed the forthcoming EU bass management plan. If I want to keep a fish, and I rarely do, I'll do it after June. I'll not be heading to Kerry for a bass!
Hopefully my bass angling will be better than last year. I hated the inconsistency :x

If you refer to the IFI statement posted above:
In the interim period, pending legislation, Inland Fisheries Ireland(IFI) is requesting anglers to recognise the need for conservation and to fish according to the regulations that are expected to be introduced shortly i.e. to fish on a catch-and-release basis up to and including June 30th, 2016. A one fish bag limit will apply from July 1 to December 31. It is envisaged that the introduction of new legislation for Ireland will incorporate elements of the National Bass Policy and will be introduced in advance of the close season for bass angling.

That will do me.
Although I reckon IFI should keep their powder dry until the EU Bass management plan becomes clear

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
corbyeire (Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm)
JimC

Postby JimC » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:28 am

A further bit of confirmation for people:

SI 112 of 2016 is in force.

This SI gives effect to the Council Regulation (EU) 2016/72. This deals with the quota decisions last December.

The relevant passage for bass anglers is:

(2) Any person engaged in recreational fisheries that is fishing for sea bass shall comply with Article 10(5) and (6) of the Quota Regulation. (3) These Regulations are in addition to and not in substitution for the Bass (Conservation of Stocks) Regulations 2006 (S.I. No. 230 of 2006)

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 72&from=EN

My understanding is that IFI are involved in drafting complimentary legislation to the above.

For those unfamiliar with the (EU) 2016/72 the relevant sections about bass state:

5. From 1 January to 30 June 2016 in recreational fisheries in ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIIa and from VIId to VIIh,
only catch-and-release fishing for sea bass, including from shore, shall be allowed. During this period, it shall be
prohibited to retain on board, relocate, tranship or land sea bass caught in that area.

6. In recreational fisheries, including from shore, not more than one specimen of sea bass may be retained per
fisherman per day during the following periods and in the following areas:
(a) from 1 July to 31 December 2016 in ICES divisions IVb, IVc, VIIa and from VIId to VIIh;
(b) from 1 January to 31 December 2016 in ICES divisions VIIj and VIIk.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 72&from=EN
JimC

Postby jd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:38 am

To tidy things up the minister needs to revoke
"S.I. No. 368/2007 - Bass Fishing Conservation Bye-Law No. 826 of 2007"

eg
This is an example of a revocation of another SI
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby JimC » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm

jd wrote:To tidy things up the minister needs to revoke
"S.I. No. 368/2007 - Bass Fishing Conservation Bye-Law No. 826 of 2007"

eg
This is an example of a revocation of another SI

I understand that IFI want complementary Irish legislation to address the bass issue. They basically want all contained in the Bass policy document to be enshrined in law (Including the MLS of 50cm). It would also tidy up the situation whereby we now have three differing regions for bass regulation. You would think that tidying the older legislation would come as part of that. The SI above originated from the Dept of Ag, Marine & Nat Res..
JimC

Postby jd » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Here we go

Inland Fisheries Ireland
Page Liked · 1 hr ·

Bass Anglers - new regulations

Anglers fishing for bass in Ireland are now bound by articles 10.5 and 10.6 of the recently introduced EU Regulation 2016/72 which stipulates catch and release for bass between Jan 1 and June 30 and bag limit of 1 fish per day from July 1 to December 31.

There is no longer a closed season.

Further legislation has been drafted to implement the increased size limit from 42cm as per the EU Regulation to 50cm in line with the IFI Bass Policy.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby offdawall » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:17 am

And is bass ban may 15th to June 15th still in place?
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
offdawall
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby jd » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 am

offdawall wrote:And is bass ban may 15th to June 15th still in place?

According to the IFI statement above, the close season is gone. Note, it will be catch and release to the end of June
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby jd » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:18 pm

This came out today

5.3.57 Sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) in divisions 4.b–c, 7.a, and 7.d–h (central and southern
North Sea, Irish Sea, English Channel, Bristol Channel, and Celtic Sea)
ICES stock advice
ICES advises that when the precautionary approach is applied, there should be zero catch (commercial and recreational) in
Attachments
bss-47.pdf
(375.51 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
0094537.gif
Ices regions
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby gannet » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:19 am

C&R only in 2017,it only gets worse.
Anyone who enjoys a fresh line caught bass has only six months to fulfill their dreams.
gannet
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby jd » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:06 am

gannet wrote:C&R only in 2017,it only gets worse.
Anyone who enjoys a fresh line caught bass has only six months to fulfill their dreams.

Or go to Kerry! Still a proposal, so may well be amended.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby JimC » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 am

gannet wrote:C&R only in 2017,it only gets worse.

The ICES advice is not usually followed to the letter. EG: last year they advised about 500T catch. Expect some horse trading.
I think angling has done its share of heavy lifting. The commercials will have to take more pain.
There is meant to be a Management Plan. Maybe know more after the meeting around the 18th July.
JimC

PreviousNext

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions