Recreational angling in Dublin Bay

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Recreational angling in Dublin Bay

Postby lelliott » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi there,

My name is Lauren Elliott, and I am a Natural Science postgrad student at Trinity College. I am currently working on a project looking at the ecology of Dublin Bay, and what we can learn about its ecology by looking at trends in recreational angling. I am from Canada, and have only been living in Ireland for a few months, so I am not extremely familiar with Ireland's fishing industry. From what I have gathered, overfishing in Ireland along with pollution have really stressed fish stocks in the past. Have any of you noticed a decrease in fish species size or a change in their life history? I have spoken to a couple of people, and they say that fish stocks are currently recovering from these past stresses. Not sure if you guys agree or not. Just trying to get a feel for everything as I believe you all would know this area best out of anyone. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Lauren

lelliott

Re: Recreational angling in Dublin Bay

Postby Tanglerat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 am

You should have a chat with Ashley Hayden. Dublin Bay may be a bit out of his neighbourhood, but you may find him knowledgeable in general about your questions.

He's usually somewhere nearby around here.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby ardinn » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:13 am

I also recommend having a root around the forums here - There are some good rants (for want of a fitting expression) on the state of fishing in irish waters - not alone dedicated to DB im afraid but would give you a broader scope.
ardinn
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 110 times

Postby corbyeire » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:45 pm

If you could get your hands on the recorders reports and result sheets from leinster IFSA or even some of the Dublin based clubs - they may have records going back decades - indicating a decline
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions