Angler being prosecuted

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Angler being prosecuted

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:44 pm

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ca ... 36522.html

On the one hand it's good to see the law being enforced

On the other hand, I can't help thinking that I would love to see large scale poachers and netters being prosecuted with the same amount of zealousness

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks: 3
Bob (Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:20 am), corbyeire (Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:32 pm), John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Angler being prosecuted

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:20 am

We really need an on the spot fine system ( like the penalty points system ). It is an utter waste of taxpayers money to drag this through the courts.

Now I'm not suggesting that offenders go unpunished but you can hit people where it hurts with a stiff fine rather than an apathetic showing in a district court where the only winner will be solicitors at the taxpayers expense.

For this message the author Bob has received thanks:
John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm)
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby JimH » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:12 am

A world gone mad - unless he's a repeat offender, or he had a large number of fish, or is 'known' to fisheries officers, then a 'gentle reminder' of the laws should be enough for 'first time' - or as Bob says an on the spot fine and then court.

It makes my blood boil to see this bullshit when I know the lack of any structured management or effort in engagement for illegal bass fishing is endemic.

For this message the author JimH has received thanks:
John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Postby Spruce » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Interesting, I know that particular spot well. A beautiful place, popular with locals and tourists alike. Can see both points of view here. Nice to know that if he did violate the rules then they are being enforced but on the other hand what Jim says also makes sense. Definitely got mixed views about it.

For this message the author Spruce has received thanks:
John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm)
Spruce
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Tanglerat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:39 pm

If you're caught acting the scallywag with salmon or sea trout than the inspectors have an option to offer a fixed penalty ticket of €150. The angler of course retains the right to decline the offer and then matters are off to court. Perhaps that happened here.

It's a lovely spot alright, Kevin Brain took me there four years ago. We got fish too.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Eoghan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm with the on the spot fine and/or a confiscation of equipment until the fine is paid. None of this soft approach, ye had 3 bass and the law is the law.
Yes there are worse offenders im sure but ye have to start somewhere. How many times has he kept more than 3 bass when nobody was there to catch him.
Top 3 lure caught bass 2017 :
10Ib 5 oz
9Ib 2oz
8Ib 11oz
Eoghan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 254 times

Postby Tanglerat » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 am

Gear confiscated, €150 fine, €250 costs.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby hugo » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Wonder how many days he blanked before he caught the three in one day? :D
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby JimH » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Domestic cats kill 4Billion wild birds in North America each year!

Why are we even reading this s***, emotive jounalistic exploitation that does nothing for bass fishing conservation or the IFI.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Bradan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:28 pm

Bob wrote:We really need an on the spot fine system ( like the penalty points system ). It is an utter waste of taxpayers money to drag this through the courts.

Now I'm not suggesting that offenders go unpunished but you can hit people where it hurts with a stiff fine rather than an apathetic showing in a district court where the only winner will be solicitors at the taxpayers expense.

We have an on-the-spot system. This guy had 21 days to pay a €150 OTS fine. He failed to do so, that's why it ended up in court.
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99

For this message the author Bradan has received thanks: 2
HoleDigger (Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:20 pm), John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:46 pm)
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:38 pm

Bradan wrote:
Bob wrote:We really need an on the spot fine system ( like the penalty points system ). It is an utter waste of taxpayers money to drag this through the courts.

We have an on-the-spot system. This guy had 21 days to pay a €150 OTS fine. He failed to do so, that's why it ended up in court.

Your absolutely right, I forgot about si 81/2011.

I was talking to some people about this subject at the weekend and the prevalent feeling is that fisheries officers are targeting soft targets. In the case of Mr Bradshaw it appears that the mans tackle was seized and was worth significantly more than the fine.

Hopefully, with the recruitment of new fisheries officers we will see the active targeting of large scale poachers.

For this message the author Bob has received thanks:
John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:47 pm)
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Bradan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Bob wrote:
Bradan wrote:

Your absolutely right, I forgot about si 81/2011.

I was talking to some people about this subject at the weekend and the prevalent feeling is that fisheries officers are targeting soft targets. In the case of Mr Bradshaw it appears that the mans tackle was seized and was worth significantly more than the fine.

Hopefully, with the recruitment of new fisheries officers we will see the active targeting of large scale poachers.

That's a load of BS to be perfectly honest. Priority is always to stop illegal fishing, especially on a large scale, but does that mean FO's should ignore anglers breaking the law?
Equipment is seized for evidence in a possible court case. If the person pays the OTS fine their equipment is returned to them. If they don't it is held until a court case, and in most cases returned to them afterwards. if the judge decides it should be forfeited then it is not returned.
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

For this message the author Bradan has received thanks:
John D (Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:47 pm)
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:55 am

Sorry, I'm not sure I've understood you correctly. Are you saying that the opinions of the people I was talking to are wrong?
Bob
SAI Bait Ball

Postby John D » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Good or Bad? I don't know, that's for sure.

On one hand I'm glad to see the law being enforced but on the other hand I wish it was poachers that were being targeted. However I am aware of scrupulous cheating mischievous anglers who have an effect on local fish populations! There are no doubts whatsoever that anglers can play dumb sometimes when it comes to the 2 fish per day bag limit. I personally don't kill any fish. I return all mine. I do enjoy the taste of fish and especially the taste of sea bass. However when I weigh them up I just prefer the pursuit of catching sea bass to the process of eating sea bass.

Anyway getting back to the case in hand - I hate to think that cheating careless anglers are getting away with taking more than 2 per day. I honestly think these types of anglers need to be apprehended just as much as poachers are. At the end of the day this could be a case of 'be careful what you wish for'. I would also be slow to criticise I.F.I. in this case - it is after all an apparent rare example of the organisation attempting to enforce the bass byelaws. And we don't want to discourage I.F.I. from doing this - do we?

I'm ending this post now because I could go on for ages about this. I'm typing with passionate feelings which is usually never a good time to document my thoughts!!!! :? :? :?

Here's hoping this is the start of a series of 'fair' prosecutions.

Tight lines,
John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!

For this message the author John D has received thanks: 3
Bob (Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:39 pm), HoleDigger (Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:22 pm), mickser (Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:03 am)
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby JimH » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:28 pm

“In September the cooking apples abroad on the tress beside the haggard would be bursting with ripeness and only barely clinging to the branch. Some would have turned to rot on the tree; more would have fallen to the earth – the barest puff of a breeze would dislodge a big fat cooking apple in September. You had to be quick to get to the windfalls before the scavenging insects.You’d pick one up thinking it to be good and turn it to see the other side was brown mush moving with worms and you’d fling it from you in disgust. You had to twist each apple off gently; otherwise no bud would reappear on that spot the next year. Only thick ignoramuses yanks apples off of trees, Mother always said. Like Uncle Frank – you couldn’t let that fella out to fill a bag for Theresa or you’d have nare a cooking apple of your own to bake a tart again. He’d wreck before him, that fella. He didn’t fit with nature.”

Donal Ryan – The thing about December

For this message the author JimH has received thanks: 3
Bob (Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:39 pm), Bradan (Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:07 pm), John D (Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:59 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Bradan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Bob wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure I've understood you correctly. Are you saying that the opinions of the people I was talking to are wrong?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. FOs are not targeting soft targets, they are enforcing the law. An angler taking more than 2 bass is not a soft target, he is a poacher.

Would you/these people rather IFI not enforce the bass legislation?

For this message the author Bradan has received thanks: 2
Eoghan (Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:30 pm), John D (Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:26 pm)
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby John D » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:29 pm

That's a great point Bradan - a really great point. Excellent stuff man! We can't hope for law enforcement and then start giving out when I.F.I. attempt to enforce the law. I know of course that there are bigger and harder targets out there but some anglers (and I have no idea whether or not this particular angler cared or cares about healthy bass stocks) most definitely have a very negative effect on the health of our bass stocks!!!

Regards,
John D.
Last edited by John D on Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

A friend's point of view

Postby John D » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 pm

After hearing about the alleged breach of the bass laws a friend of mine who is not a member of the site e-mailed me the following:

***BEGINNING OF QUOTE...
"It is an offence to kill or have more than two bass, other than imported bass, in any 24-hour period."

Touchy topic, John, we all get angry at low stocks of bass and are crying out for changes, especially in regard to commercial overfishing of this species of fish,

and as avid anglers we want to sustain what's left of our beloved stocks. To do this the laws should be upheld. However the man is 20 years in the game and

knows well he broke the law, moreover, with his angling experience and appreciation for the sport of fishing should have promoted C & R after the second fish. I'm glad

inland fisheries are finally policing the waters, more power to them. I'm in support of more convictions coming to light and hope this serves as a warning to other people who abuse the laws set out in the area of bass conservation that there will be consequences to their actions.

This is only one man who has been caught, how many are not getting caught ???

Anyone who is into bass fishing knows the frustrations of hearing about or witnessing these types of instances, some might minimize it (because it was only 1 extra fish). But if change Is to happen, we should be supporting inland fisheries and promoting the rules no matter how big or small the crime.

Guilty!!!
...END OF QUOTE***

I thought it was beneficial for all of us to get another point of view. And just for the record - I agree with his sentiment.
Thanks again pal.

Kind regards,
John D.

For this message the author John D has received thanks: 2
beachcomber (Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 pm), mickser (Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:06 am)
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby JimH » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:41 pm

....guiding for bass is a credible professional occupation that is sustainable. It both promotes and preserves natural heritage provided the guide operates with a balanced business model and within current legal constraints.

Bass anglers who use guides who operate to the contrary are no different than the offender above.

For this message the author JimH has received thanks:
John D (Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:54 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby John D » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Excellent point Jim!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions