A perfect opportunity

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

A perfect opportunity

Postby JimH » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:39 pm

A near perfect set of opportunities to catch bass on opening day presents itself this year on the south coast – current conditions might be considered difficult but that’s fine, it just adds positivity to the equation. It’s the sudden change around the 15th to south westerly that’s just perfect but not only that this is combined with an incredible set of tides too. A chance to catch em...the text below is from this post on Probassfisher - http://www.probassfisher.ie/2010/10/sequencing_27.html from a while back - expect an 'elastic to snap' on the 16th June

The forecast was for the big blow to arrive quickly on the south coast on Friday late morning or early afternoon corresponding to a rising spring tide approaching the top of its cycle. What this would do and depending on the arrival time of the system would be to generate ideal fishing conditions for bass. Coastal water would be clear and break white in the increasing wind strength; the sudden wave activity generated would provide cover to hunt and also create feeding opportunities that haven’t existed for a number of days. All this was happening over a single rising tide on a spring cycle. It was a perfect short bass fishing storm that was visible from as early as the 10th of October – 12 days previously; this was the stretching of the elastic. It snapped on Friday somewhere around midday of the 22nd.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/rosslare_harbour

For this message the author JimH has received thanks: 3
corbyeire (Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:37 pm), enoonan001 (Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:52 pm), Grumpy Angler (Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:49 pm)
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 528 times

Re: A perfect opportunity

Postby Bassy Tom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

It does look quite sweet at the moment Jim.I am itching to get out there (as i am sure you are too) and I am optamistic that this season will be better than last.
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby JimH » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:46 pm

It certainly looks good here on the SE corner Tom - but it still feels very N.Easterly - cool and bright - difficult bass conditions.
Lots of good signals along the coast mind, terns hunting close to shore. water crystal clear still a little cool on top which is mixing down with the NE's. The window is moving back and forth a little bit but its there.......

Having had a gentle winter which can be of help sometimes we might be lucky.

I'm always optimistic Tom and the way that the excellent weather sequence falls next week combined with the NEW MOON tides it is, in my heart, an expectant opportunity that I wont miss. It will determine a lot of things for me as regards bass in Wexford.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Spruce » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:05 am

Please keep us updated on the forum, Jim. I look forward to your reports immensely. By the way, I will be visiting the South coast myself in a couple of weeks. Travelling over from the U.K. for 10 days. Tides aren't the best but my holidays are rostered so I can't do anything about that. Remember me asking you about a guide? Well, I took your advice and now looking forward to it with gathering excitement.
Spruce
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Bassy Tom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:08 am

JimH wrote:It certainly looks good here on the SE corner Tom - but it still feels very N.Easterly - cool and bright - difficult bass conditions.
Lots of good signals along the coast mind, terns hunting close to shore. water crystal clear still a little cool on top which is mixing down with the NE's. The window is moving back and forth a little bit but its there.......

Having had a gentle winter which can be of help sometimes we might be lucky.

I'm always optimistic Tom and the way that the excellent weather sequence falls next week combined with the NEW MOON tides it is, in my heart, an expectant opportunity that I wont miss. It will determine a lot of things for me as regards bass in Wexford.

Well fingers crossed ye get a much better season down Wexford way than last season Jim. I will do a report if i have any joy next week, let ya know how i get on.
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby shortcircuit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

It does look promising. Clarity here in Cork is absolutely excellent from what I witnessed on a rock fishing session on Monday. I also caught two launce in the space of five minutes, and further out saw birds dive bombing like WWII airplanes, so the bait fish situation also seems good
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby JimH » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Spruce hope all well,

Ten days in your fishing location is a brilliant opportunity and tides will fall for you nicely during your stay at some stage, are you here on the week end of the 26th? I hope you enjoy the fishing the company and the locations, whatever happens the best of luck from here and bendy rods.

Jim
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Spruce » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:29 pm

Hi Jim, yes I am here from the 26th. Have fished almost exclusively in Kerry for a number of years so the prospect of fishing new ground is very exciting. Looking forward to it immensely. Only fear is the awful weather. There are some nice estuaries there but this damn rain, if it continues, will render those redundant. Would just like to see a settled spell of warmer, drier weather. Flaming June my *rse! Thanks for the good luck message and I hope your area experiences a better year. Keep up with your writings, both here and on the Internet. I find them the most informative and enjoyable of the countless ones out there. Would love to accompany you with my two hander, one day. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Spruce
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby corbyeire » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:29 pm

changing from NW tomorrow to SW in galway - temps staying high, winds low - mouthwatering
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby JimH » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:03 pm

Looks like its going to work out C no doubt. Looks great for you up there....I know where I'd be if I was you........

When I made the post on the ninth since that time the forecast for the period 15-18 hasn't really changed that much , yes the timing has moved backwards and forwards a little but heh its a forecast. Don't get me wrong the modelling can be out, but generally there's a considerable accuracy here in these predictions that has to be considered.

Like everything the depth of expectation in relation to these things, and in this case accuracy, is not to be taken too seriously. BUT as a tool to help us in our fishing in a busy world there is no doubt in my mind they are of considerable help. As a bass fishing guide and your probably bored to tears from probassfisher of hearing about bass anglers developing a 'connection' to weather, I know I couldn't have worked as successfully at bass fishing as I have with customers without forecasting systems helping decision making.

In my opinion we cannot dismiss the forecast (or these predictions) and simply arrive at a location with high expectations only to be dissapointed when we could have perhaps made a better decision. I hear you I hear you and yes sometimes its just pleasant to go fishing I like that too - but a lot of the time I like to know what I have to deal with.

The forecasts can and do help us, not to be ignored.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Postby JimH » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:26 am

Alan, my friend, had some special fishing this morning in Cork. ALL on surface lure fishing techniques.
JimH
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions