Flotation Suit: what is its benefit?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Flotation Suit: what is its benefit?

Postby chuckaroo » Thu May 21, 2015 2:48 pm

looking for some advice please

does a flotation suit let in much water?? how do they work?
i have never used a flotation suit so im not exactly sure of their full benefits/limits.
are flotation suits meant to keep you dry in the water or just simply keep you buoyant?

ultimately, would a flotation suit enable getting into the water in cold water conditions for a quick pic??

thanks in advance
Last edited by chuckaroo on Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Re: Flotation Suit: what is its benefit?

Postby David W » Thu May 21, 2015 3:18 pm

I think you may be confusing flotation suit with survival suit. Two different types of clothing.
David W
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby paul skelly » Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 pm

They just have some boyancy aid in the lining in case u fall in , rain proof not water proof if ya know what I mean :wink:
Good and worm tho.
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray

For this message the author paul skelly has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 pm)
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby chuckaroo » Thu May 21, 2015 11:36 pm

I just thought that there maybe might have been some 'additional extras' on some models of flotation suits - like a rubber seal around the neck, wrist or ankle, that would have helped deter the entry of water, for a short time at least..
Just a long-shot
No worries. Thanks for the responses

Actually, is there anything available that is lightweight that would compare to be being between a wet suit and a dry suit.. Something that could be worn reasonably comfortably whilst fishing? if anyone knows?
Ta
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby chuckaroo » Fri May 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Has anyone ever used a cag and know of their limitations..??
do they let water in when IN the water?
Any kayakers out there...?
:)
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Postby AB132 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:25 pm

Cag is essentially a waterproof pull over long sleeved top that has elasticated neck, cuffs and waist. The inside of the neck and cuffs might also have some rubber for a more effective seal. It goes some way to keeping water out, but is by no means a dry suit. Water runs down it onto the spraydeck and off, but if you end up in the water, as I did quite a lot back in the day, then you WILL get wet.

Having said that, I lent mine a couple of times to a friend for beach fishing, he wore it over his waders and said it was the best thing he'd ever tried for this. I would say that it would be great for fending off a wave or spashes, but if you go out deep the water will rise up under it.

You will also sweat under it (my one was mid range, and it's been (ahem!) a few years, maybe there's goretex type ones out there) and I have a vague memory of the seal on the neck pulling at stubble and beard hair something cruel.

They tend to be fairly garish colours (so people are easier to spot in the water), this might be something to consider, though again I'm sure there's some more muted ones out there too. Like I say it's been a few years.

For this message the author AB132 has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed May 27, 2015 9:59 pm)
AB132
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby JimC » Mon May 25, 2015 5:32 pm

You might find that some suits have more features than others. Back in the day Sundridge used make some great suits. The best I have ever worn was a "Baltic Nova" It has superb neoprene cuffs and even has a pair of braces interbnally to take the weigh off your shoulders. I tested that one foe Irish Angler back in 2007 (Jaysus :shock: ).
I jumped into the chilly winter waters of Cork Harbour. Yes water seeped into my clothing but it was gradual rather than an influx. I reckon that the water would have heated up a bit a-la wetsuit. You would still get hypo eventually.
These days I have not worn a floaty in years, preferring layers. Maybe if I was heading for Norway or someplace very cold I would bring one. I much prefer to wear layers for warmth and a waterproof layer.You can always add or take off a layer. If you overheat then you may open the floaty which probably defeats the purpose. I am open to correction but your average floaty is classed as a buoyancy aid rather than a life jacket.

All Baltic floatation suits have three important features for persons in rugged marine environments

1. 100% waterproof
2. The same buoyant properties as a standard buoyancy aid.
3. Protection against the first cold shock

Baltic floatation suits are CE marked and tested and approved to EN393 and ISO 1527-1

One of the criteria is that five persons, each wearing a floatation suit, are immersed in water at 15°C for two hours. During that time they must not lose more than 2°C core temperature. The test subjects for Baltic lost only 0.8°C

http://www.crew-safe.co.uk/acatalog/Bal ... -Suit.html
Attachments
8 degrees (Small).JPG

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby hugo » Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am

Layers (and lifejacket) for me too. On the shore, floatation suits are way too bulky, overwarm and restrictive to casting, and if conditions are so bad out on the boat that you need one, you should probably be ashore anyway....
hugo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby chuckaroo » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks for the detailed and very informative responses gentlemen, appreciated. I have learnt all I need to know to answer my initial question, and more 8)

Yeah, so cags are for people wanting to keep the worst of the water out when getting hit by waves/splash/spray then, so probably good for sport kayaking in rough water and such like. These flotation suits on the other hand don't keep the water out at all by the sounds of it then (well, maybe initially - thanks Jim C), and are primarily warm waterproof clothing with built-in buoyancy, though some may be better than others when deterring water getting in when in the water, no worries.

David W wrote:I think you may be confusing flotation suit with survival suit. Two different types of clothing.

Indeed, thanks David. Survival/Immersion suits seem to be a combination of a dry suit and a flotation suit; they are great things and I reckon I could have been trying to define where a flotation suit ends and a survival suits begins. The survival suit is beyond my needs and requirements at the moment, and too pricey for what i will only need it for anyway.. Ta

I feel that flotation suits, survival suits and dry suits are all inconvenient to fish in to be honest i.e they are bulky. I have come to the conclusion though that a dry suit is the answer to best 'suit' these specific needs i.e to get into very cold water for a short period of time. I will just fish in normal clothing and pull the suit on and off quickly when need-be - the weather conditions should be ok but the water will be freezing

I have bid for a second-hand dry suit one on eBay for a fiver. lol! Let's hope it doesn't leak (some chance)..

Getting into freezing cold water for a pic. I must be nuts?
Don't answer that..
:mrgreen:

Thanks again
Charlie

2024 targets:
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions