West Cork Amberjack !

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:47 am

First ever recorded capture of Amberjack in Ireland https://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Cor ... 897?ref=hl . Whatever next.

Re: West Cork Amberjack !

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:41 am

That's mad think he was lost , and not even an irish angler landed him lol
Great catch all the same :)

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm

It's a cow dolphin (dorado, Mahi mahi, you say tomato). It's a pity there aren't better photos. Given that they frequent waters that are 20 degrees +, I'd say that this poor girl is very lost. Was this fish caught by an angler or did it wash up? Probably the most delicious fish I've eaten too!

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Are dorados not usually yellow/ green in color?

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:52 pm

yip, i'd say it was a amberjack rather than a dorado. really dont think that its a dorado
has probably come up the gulf stream from the med/portugal?
where's my rod..

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 pm

Dorados are any combination of blue/gold/green/silver and flash different colours.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:40 pm

dorado2.jpg
I've heard it was identified as a Dorado by some biologist. It's body looks a little too slender, and it's tail fork too long to be an Amberjack. Some better photos would be nice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:16 pm

Unusual to see a warm water fish this early in the year, usually these stragglers show up in late September / October when the water temperatures peak.
Great pictures.

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Am I the only one that thinks this is b**lshit. :D

Yappo

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 pm

no

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:20 pm

The species identity has changed , the latest on our mystery visitor is ; "Female Dolphin Fish is the conclusion of fish expert Declan Quigley at Marine Biology Division".

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 pm

Rob Millard wrote:I've heard it was identified as a Dorado by some biologist. It's body looks a little too slender, and it's tail fork too long to be an Amberjack. Some better photos would be nice!

on second glance, you could well be right :) im not convinced its an amberjack now either, but still struggling to 'see' a dorado. we will have to take this marine biologist guy's word for it..
i wouldn't rule anything out from turning up on our shores, especially south west of the country. will we ever know for sure from those pics! :lol:
sceptical :)

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:17 am

The photos aren't great but the shape looks like cow Dorado, and they go silver as soon as they die, more or less instantly.

Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:30 am

looks like a dolphin fish ...

Don't be surprised to find warm water species here outside the summer.

In December 2012 the water temperature in Donegal Bay was just shy of 19 C, double what it was elsewhere on the coast. The North Atlantic Drift is not a steady stream: massive "eddies" of warm tropical water can be trapped in it and be brought north, like a massive circulating mobile heated swimming pool, up to tens and even a hundred kilometres across, with these hotspots making it even as far up as into the North Sea. Oil rig designers have had to cope with the expansion generated in metal structures due to this for decades.

A small school of Amberjacks - the real ones - were caught in a commercial net off Clare several years ago although nominally they should not be venturing much farther north than the Azores.

So its possible its not a fake...

Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:23 am

the more i look at it the more i can't see why it can't be true. The dorado Coryphaena equiselis can be caught in the Med and along the Portuguese shores to some level, i've seen them being caught on the fly off the shore in Greece.
they are in better numbers closer to the equator of course but there's no reason why that fish couldn't have ventured (got somewhat lost) up that wee bit further north and landed on our own shores.
the more i look at it defo starts to look like a female dorado indeed
feck it, i believe it! :)

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:00 pm

bit of a coincidence if the email went out on 1st april?

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Was it an April Fool joke?

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:30 pm

:roll: West Cork and District SAC must have just caught up with it now then! - if it was a April Fool joke..
f it

Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:47 pm

I was dusting off my skirted trolling lures, getting ready to troll up and down Garrettstown for bluewater species. Damn you April Fools :oops:

Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:53 pm

Rob Millard wrote:Was it an April Fool joke?

I don't think it was rob , there has been a report of amberjack caught off the beara in 2011 .
it doesn't look like a female dolphinfish as later suggested pity there wasn't any more pictures taken but no denying the beach it was washed up I was there two nights ago, anything is possible .
I just hope next unusual species to be caught off the Irish coast has a few more snaps taken of it

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2