Swords Show 2015

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Re: Swords Show 2015

Postby shortcircuit » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:04 pm

I see on the timetable that on each day Jim Cs talk coincides with Henry Gilbeys demo.

For a show that has so few sea angling demos and talks it's a shame that these two should conflict.

That said, am looking forward to the show
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby JimC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:19 pm

shortcircuit wrote:I see on the timetable that on each day Jim Cs talk coincides with Henry Gilbeys demo.

For a show that has so few sea angling demos and talks it's a shame that these two should conflict.

That said, am looking forward to the show

Yes I had spotted this! They had the timetable produced - Maybe they will be able to do something about it.... Not sure but we will see.
Henry is a boring ould fart anyway :) :)

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
Rob Millard (Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Rob Millard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Where's the timetable? Doesn't seem to be up on the Maramedia website yet!
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby shortcircuit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:12 pm

How did the show go today ?
Did JimCs talk go ahead at 12:45 or was the time moved?
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Postby rodey » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm

been going to this for the last few years now,
have to say there was little to no sea fishing stuff there this year,
seems to be getting worse every year,
mavbe the last year goin for us.
very bad,
Rodey.
rodey
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby lowie69 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Was muck except for jims talk as said above very little sea stuff rather save 10 euro entrance fee I spent more in swords angling centre than at show plus got free fry place next door
bass PB 10 lb , thornback ray PB 11lb, smooth hound PB 12lb, cod PB 9lb wish list for this year turbot painted ray undulate ray nd gilt head bream
lowie69
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 41 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jw » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:38 pm

i think the angling show is more about having fun, if you want to buy cheap fishing tackle go
on to ebay, there is great banter from the celebrity anglers and it would be a dull
world without them.

my interest is in boat fishing and it was an invaluable chance to talk to the best skippers from around the coast

For this message the author jw has received thanks:
Determined Dan (Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm)
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby JimC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:06 pm

I certainly get a great kick out of the weekend of the Angling Expo.
I enjoy meeting up and putting faces to names etc. The angling chat is perfect for the time of year!

I found plenty around the show to keep me occupied. If I had been there for the day I think I would have had little trouble passing the time. In fact there were a few stands that I did not get to and I did not dally long at shops that did not have stuff of interest to me.

I enjoy the manufacturers stands. Pure fishing had a large range. Mike Trussell and Terry Jackson were on hand. Tronixpro had a fair selection including a lot of High-End beach rods. Incredible to feel these rods, many with big price tags. Daiwa had a huge selection of gear on show. Its not often you get to paw a €1000 spinning reel :)

IFI were around the place and had a great stand with fish tanks and one of the highlights of the weekend was "SIKA" the sniffer dog. She sniffs outs nets along the banks of rivers and stashed fish - superb. I also picked up one of the new longer measuring mats - A blue shark "by Length" specimen would be nice.

As John points out, the charter skippers are worth a chat to. Plenty skippers from up the country. Luke Aston from Carrigaholt had a fine stand. Cork was not well represented.

After the show (I could not get away to collect my specimen cert!) I met up with many specimen anglers at Belwey's Hotel. The ISFC had a stand at the show too.

I was delighted with the crowds at my talks. It created a great atmosphere. Here's a blog report from a young lad from Kerry that was at the show on Sunday:
http://eoinangler.blogspot.ie/2015/02/a ... -show.html
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby pajo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi all.

Must say I was impressed with the show this year. Plenty of interesting stands, a good selection of tackle, some well known faces from the angling world along with interesting speakers and demos. The charter stands put in a lot of effort and were very impressive.
I picked up a few bits I needed at a good price (along with a few bits I didn't know I needed!).

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby jellybait » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:34 pm

I couldnt get there this year , but i think its a real pity that none of the irish tackle shops are represented there - its kind of shooting the whole thing down by all the tackle shops doing special deals on the weekend of the show - I think it would be great if they all had stands at the show with there deals and it would help build all the angling community together and it would make angling a bigger and better show , just my twopence worth as its about promoting angling in ireland which would lead to more buisness and more people would take it more serious
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Previous

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions