Ballycotton pier

Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 am

I love this pier and it really gets on my nerves to see it get into a right mess like this.
The smell of P*** is unreal.
uploadfromtaptalk1420418817703.jpg

Its gone beyond taking home a bag of rubbish belonging to someone else.
Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ballycotton pier

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:38 am

unfortunately that happens at most piers in the country.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:23 am

Dave78 wrote:I love this pier and it really gets on my nerves to see it get into a right mess like this.
The smell of P*** is unreal.
Its gone beyond taking home a bag of rubbish belonging to someone else.

That's unreal! Is it household dumping?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Cans, broken bottles, pizza boxes , a full 10 lt tub of mayo, plastic bags , traces, gut, so called fishermans rubbish like bait packing etc and to top if off it stinks as its been used as a jacks.
I dont mind bringing a shovel ,a brush and a few bags with next time im there but i would draw the line at putting any of it in the boot of my car it smells that bad.
None of it belongs to the commerical fishermen.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:11 pm

That's a total disgrace.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Bet there is someone out there wondering if the Mayo is still in date ! If it's still there in a couple of weeks I will give you a hand to clear it up dave , and it's certainly not going in the back of my car !! Sure we can find somewhere to put it , hopefully (but sadly doubtful ) this will shame a few people into clearing up after themselves . Why people get surprised when places like this are closed to fisherman is beyond me , it's a disgrace

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:19 pm

And it's not the Mackie-bashers at this time of year either.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Tanglerat wrote:And it's not the Mackie-bashers at this time of year either.
Converted from Mackie bashers to conger bashers.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:36 pm

It was the same during mackerel bashing but it was idiots like myself and others i know that used to clean up after them, the finger cannot be pointed at any one group or individual as there is way too much of it there and at various stages of decay.
I will bag some it next time im there morgan but __ if im taking it away.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Most of the piers in wexford the same junk thrown everywhere from anglers
No wonder there is so many rats hanging around at piers

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 pm

lad123 wrote:Most of the piers in wexford the same junk thrown everywhere from anglers
No wonder there is so many rats hanging around at piers

That's an awful thing to call me Shane :shock:

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 pm

its definitely junk from anglers all round wexford, rig wrappers, bait trays etc.

people you would think know better - no respect for the environment - or themselves in the long run - but sure isint it someone elses problem

i remember the clean coast group went at blackhead in clare - over 70 black bin bags filled and they could have done it again if they had a 2nd day at it - shocking

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:00 pm

pier rat ! My old fishing club used to hold working parties to clean up stretches of river bank and lakes and pools . It was only a few hours every now and again . It is s*** having to clean up after other people all us proper anglers do care about things and clean up after the great unwashed . One major benifit of the working parties was the impact it had on the anti anglers and the local people . Some would join in and I'm sure there are local people living by all these piers who blame all fishermen for all this mess and would be more than happy to have angling banned on these piers . These people seeing anglers tidying the area and showing that they care really does improve the negativity that surrounds this sort of thing , a bit of good publicity for real anglers is always good , worth contacting council to have a bin put on the pier . Lots of people doing a little can make a huge difference it is not just down to you anglers who care , there are hundreds of anglers and thousands of fishermen who like us are more than capable of taking home there own s*** , maybe some posters in a few different languages on these marks regarding the litter . Something can be done mate

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:11 pm

Just to make it clear I have fished with lad123, my comment was a joke, I have no problem cleaning up I just dont have the means to dispose of that amount of rubbish, id gladly bag and pile up all of it but arrangements would have to be made with the council to remove the bagged waste.
having signs in a number of languages would be of great benefit to all

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 pm

corbyeire wrote:its definitely junk from anglers all round wexford, rig wrappers, bait trays etc.

people you would think know better - no respect for the environment - or themselves in the long run - but sure isint it someone elses problem

i remember the clean coast group went at blackhead in clare - over 70 black bin bags filled and they could have done it again if they had a 2nd day at it - shocking

70 bags on day one alone thats some amount of rubbish, id say 20 bags would take care of whats down there in Ballycotton , but for how long is the question.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:21 pm

It's terrible! I used fish the pier regularly some years back (I often gave Donal D a run for it on the doggies :) ). I never remember a rubbish problem.

I don't want this to descend into a slagging match but who is responsible? Is it anglers?

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Its the anglers Jim plain and simple.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Well something has changed! Damn shame.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:34 am

This will be the outcome
BIN IT 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm

That's disgraceful. I must admit I have seen Greystones south pier left in a right mess a few times over the summer, along with some well known Mullet marks being left with empty bread bags, cans and balls of fishing line. All it does is fuel the anti-fishing brigade and as Donal says will lead to more banning of fishing in certain public areas/piers. It takes all of ten seconds to gather and bring home your rubish after a trip.