Re: Wild Irish Bass

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:58 pm

FF

I believe this is how it could work! Information...

C
A possible scenario

In regards to a 'kite surfing school' and their possible role - lets imagine a scenario in rural coastal Ireland - a small community of summer based businesses
Pony trekking, kite surfing, restaurant like the one above, a bass fishing guide, some B+B's and lets say a walking guide.

Now lets say the group has gotten together to listen to an evenings presentation by enthusiastic people involved in bass fishing - one person delivers conservation/biology (15 mins), one person delivers on socio economic impact (15 mins), one person delivers on fishing (15 mins) one person delivers on connectivity in relation to bass fishing. The project mentioned above.

In other words a bit like what fishfeatures says above, but with more addons

A bass angler will come to this local because he knows all the stakeholders are aware of the value, the benefits the responsibility, the vulnerability and the requirements to maintain bass as a tourism product because each of the stakeholders have agreed to be aware of the issues and have signed off on a agreement to be part of a SUPPORT Network.

I go there to fish as a BASS fisherman knowing the community is part of lets say the Bass Angling Network - approved by IFI and FI

The restaurant I eat in is not encouraging local wild catch
The B+B I stay in recommends the restaurant -
The restaurant speaks highly of the bass fishing guide PLUS and vice versa

The bass fishing guides recommends the kitesurfer school as a place where my children can learn to surf/kite
My wife can take a tour with the walking guide or the trekking school who watch the coast and......they all carry the logo the information pack and the fish is integrated into the community that is recognised AND must be a protected business resource across all the stakeholders , they openly manage each resource.

My family and I have a good time and I make a recommendation because...?

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Absolutely fishfeatures, let them all know. That's great work on your part what you've done. That's absolutely brilliant. Very encouraging indeed. I'd love it if more people were so pro-active. It's your one simple action that I think is the most important action that any of us can take. If the demand is removed then the pressure on the bass will also be removed. Again let me just say - BRILLIANT STUFF fishfeatures! Thank you.

Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:07 pm

If I'm being honest I didn't really know why corbyeire asked that question to JimH. However the answer that JimH replied with has shown me how ignorant I was to think I knew the answer. I definitely did not. JimH's answer has painted an even clearer picture for me as to how this support network can really work for everybody involved especially pointing out how by supporting the network each stakeholder benefits largely from it. Genius!

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:14 pm

i still think i asked a valid question - good answer jim - its a win win win scenario in your case

i think in bass guiding in small bays and gullies you are not in direct competition, however

generally out west the surfers on the open beaches win out - they are where the money is - anglers are way down the pecking order

the council specifically request we stay out of the way when we have competitions on request for keys to the barrier at one venue - in other places its not even entertained, anglers would have to be seen to be bringing in the money the surfers are

i suppose im not directing it at the work of jim - its a general statement - we are a minority sport in most eyes - out west an angler on a beach is such a rarity, most people dont even know it goes on

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:15 pm

C - it is a valid question, and it applies under the circumstances you experience with your own fishing - the following words interest me in your post the council specifically request we stay out of the way when we have competitions and perhaps I might be ignorant/idealistic in relation to your fishing and the other 'stakeholders' let me give you an example

During the first week of October I was working with the editor of VoyagesdePeche (Julien LaJournade) we were out west bass fishing on fly and lure. Each morning we had breakfast at 08:00 or so and TV3 morning TV was on in the background. One morning I was on the phone and slightly late but Julien had breakfast and watched the TV3 morning program and it happened to feature the FI Wild Atlantic Way and its promotion. When I came down he spoke to me that he had watched the WAW promotion and he had seen

Kite surfing
Cliff diving
Horse riding
Golf
Walking
Surfing
Climbing and more...

As the editor of a best selling European angling / promotional magazine he was confused to large extent as to why angling was not included in the program / promotion.

Its a pet project of mine on my twitter account #thisisfishing by the way!

Perhaps the council need to see something like this made with an Irish theme to remind them of the contribution that angling makes to local economies (as determined by IFI) and how important stakeholders like tourism anglers are.

I know that now VoyagesdePeche will feature bass angling as an activity locked onto the WAW..........the first to do so perhaps.

Where are we exactly with bass angling promotion/protection/conservation ?