Is this trawler acting illegally?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Is this trawler acting illegally?

Postby John D » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi guys.

I came across this post in another thread, I think Steve posted it.

Please consider what you are seeing in this video and then answer my questions below if you don't mind:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=typqgN2mOV8&app=desktop

1.) Do people believe the skipper of that trawler was actually fishing so depressingly close to shore?
2.) If he was actually fishing (as sad & greed strewn that would be!) is the skipper acting in any way illegally?

I'm not sure but truly hope there is some sort of inshore fishing limit - at least 2 kilometres or something!

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Re: Is this trawler acting illegally?

Postby myworldfishing » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:47 pm

If he is close enough to beach himself he is WAY to close.....

I bet no one looked at what fish he had on board ether...
myworldfishing
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 125 times

Postby donal domeney » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Was he actually see fishing that close in or did he have an engine failure and got blown in there.

It is more than likely legal to fish in there by it is what he has in the nets could see him breaking the law
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks: 2
John D (Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:39 pm), myworldfishing (Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:41 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby clunedog » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:47 pm

No he,s not fishing bass anyway them boats cost quite a few quid you wouldn't take chance , more likely shrimp or crabs and boats over a certain size have region restrictions not small small ones.

For this message the author clunedog has received thanks:
John D (Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 pm)
clunedog
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Bassy Tom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 am

The boat being toed has a trawl drum on the stern and is most likely an inshore white fish trawler. Looks to me like he probably had engine trouble and got blown in there. The towing boat is an inshore gillnet and lobster boat and dosnt seem to have any nets or pots on board. He would not be allowed to fish his gillnets that close to shore as it would be illegal, however in this instance i think its juts a case of him helpin his buddy out with a tow.

For this message the author Bassy Tom has received thanks:
John D (Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 pm)
Bassy Tom
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Don't see any nets on the drum of the stranded boat, which is unusual.
Deleted User 3488

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:26 am

I'm not going to say anything that is going to get me in trouble but this boat is notorious in the area. I have witnessed it numerous times within casting distance of the beaches. It is not a crab or shrimp boat.

For this message the author Steve has received thanks: 4
danbrosnan (Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:06 am), donal domeney (Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:34 am), John D (Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm), MAC (Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 am)
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby John D » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Good on you Steve!

John D.
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby danbrosnan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:06 am

I second Steve I spoke to the trawler man who owns the boat.. You see lads I am putting myself and my family in trouble doing what I do... The trawler man knew who I was and I didn't get a very good vide... All I'll say is tangle nets... 100% that close to the shore.. But remember lads anglers are at fault for bass declines...
I'd rather be fishing..

2013 : Bass, Flounder, rockling, rainbow, sea trout, sliver eel, flounder, plaice, brown trout, pike, conger, salmon, sea trout, mackerel, pollack, undulate"first".

2012 : Salmon, Sea Trout, Thornback, Ling, Pollack, Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Cod, Bass, Dog fish, Sole "From derrymore!", Pike, Roach, Dab, Turbot, Brown Trout.
danbrosnan
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby Holeopen » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:12 pm

No restrictions on fishing up to the shore.
Holeopen
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby JULIO RAGWORM » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:48 pm

Some people take the "third breaker" a bit too serious!

Sorry to joke but it's so frigging frustrating at times, you can't really see from the video if he was fishing or up to no good but his own admission seems to indicate he's a bit of a cortaz type character or a c**t as I would call it. I fish down there a few times a year and it's the arsehole of nowhere in comparison to the bigger towns in Ireland so where does he land his catch because if he's netting bass commercially some poncy local chefs are obviously paying him enough to risk his vessel and the lives of him and his crew?
Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

2010- Sea Trout, Codling, Pollock, Coalie, Whiting, Flounder, Doggies, Plaice, Dab.

For this message the author JULIO RAGWORM has received thanks:
John D (Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:59 pm)
JULIO RAGWORM
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 37 times

Postby John D » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Unfortunately you're probably right JULIO RAGWORM - but I sincerely hope you're not!? :-(
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions