Re: Concerns for the Bass Population

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:04 am

JimH wrote:The issue attached was sorted in one hour today by IFI

Sorted in what manner?

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:23 am

I got right on my high horse last night about fish stocks and the concerns of the bass population . The brunt of this was taken by a guy on roaches point who didn't speck much English but was happy to wave an empty carrier bag at me when I reeled in a small wrasse . Now I'm not irish but this is now my home and a beautiful one it is and as it's my home i am as concerned as all of you over fish stocks . I have found a few things on the internet and if true could be useful . Firstly following on from John D post regarding restaurants looking into bass fisheries laws , reading down the bit where it's two fish limit and the closed season bit it say ' bass restrictions on sale , order SI no.376 of 2007 . Prohibits the sale or offer for sale of bass other than bass that have been imported ' . My simple welsh brain reading that says you can't sell bass locally . So how are the restaurants selling locally caught bass ?
Next bit , have found information on tagging . There is recreational anglers tagging rays , tope , sharks Samson and sea trout . Why aren't we tagging bass ? The Americans do and the internet is full of details surely the irish fisheries would be as interested in tagging bass as well , if anyone has any knowledge of this I would love to know .
Last on is mackerel , ok I know not a bass but was bass eat them It sort of fits . As I go round finding spots to fish and talking to people I'm hearing that the mackerel will be in soon , how you can catch 100 a night , can't give them away and so on , when I asked why don't you just catch what you want and put the rest back the guy just laughed and said you can't do that . Didn't they used to catch loads of bass and not put any back ? Sounds like there's hundreds of people catching hundreds of mackerel and most going to waste , trawlers on the tele showed one net of mackerel containing 4000 tonnes of mackerel , mackerel in short supply ? Bass that feed on mackerel in short supply ? Just a thought .

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:31 am

In order to change peoples attitude towards conservation of a species, as John rightly said;

"It would also be very useful to educate the public on this matter - anything that may reduce the demand for Bass!"

Most anglers are well aware of the pressure Bass stocks are under and most anglers do their bit to help conserve the species; but the public in general are oblivious to the decline of Bass stocks and the reasons behind it.

The success of the Whaling ban worldwide is one example of how education and legislation can have a significant impact on the survival of a species. The plight of the Whales was highlighted by the worlds media, public awareness grew and so too did support. Eventually the collective governments of the world put a stop to that madness.

The decline of Cod stocks worldwide has somewhat slowed' again, public opinion, education and legislation has played a big part in tackling this problem.

Why can't the same approach be used Europe-wide to save our Bass stocks.
In law they say "ignorance is no excuse".
In reality, when it comes to protection of Bass stocks "ignorance is the excuse"

Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Monkeywrasse.

It is illegal for restaurants to purchase locally sourced bass but a lot of restaurants aren't aware of the bye-laws.

I've asked all my friends, family, colleagues etc. to not order bass when they're in restaurants.

It might seem like a small thing to be doing but if we all did it I believe our chances of raising the awareness of bass bye laws into the consciousness of the greater collective will be greatly increased.

Nothing changes if nothing changes!

John D.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm

If a restaurant has Bass on its menu, you can be almost sure they are aware of the laws regards the selling of wild Bass.
Any bit of effort put into discouraging your friends and family or the public from ordering Bass from the menu is effort well spent. Every bit helps.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Why would a restaurant buy wild Irish Bass on the black market when imported farmed bass is relatively cheap? Does anyone have any evidence of this being practised?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Rob Millard wrote:Why would a restaurant buy wild Irish Bass on the black market when imported farmed Bass is relatively cheap? Does anyone have any evidence of this being practised?

It would be 2/3 days fresher than imported fish.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Rob Millard wrote:Why would a restaurant buy wild Irish Bass on the black market when imported farmed Bass is relatively cheap? Does anyone have any evidence of this being practised?

It is rampant all over the country Rob.
Here's an old post, viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38400

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Rob.

I was down in Kerry two weeks ago and a local man told me that it happens in his area, he claims he saw it happen himself.

Apart from that I only know from word of mouth.

John D.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 am

I think it wrong to target restaurant owners for purchasing wild bass. Most are aware that it is illegal and wouldn't want to take the chance. Restaurant owners buy farmed fish which are all portion sized,3/4 to just over a pound ready for the plate, minimal work, simple as. I have not seen a darne or fillet of bass from a large fish served in a restaurant for a good few years.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am

ventry boy wrote:I think it wrong to target restaurant owners for purchasing wild Bass. Most are aware that it is illegal and wouldn't want to take the chance. Restaurant owners buy farmed fish which are all portion sized,3/4 to just over a pound ready for the plate, minimal work, simple as. I have not seen a darne or fillet of Bass from a large fish served in a restaurant for a good few years.

Not rocket science, simple as drop mesh size to target smaller fish and it then becomes rather difficult to spot the difference.These days the line caught in the "north east atlantic" is commonly used when it comes to advertising the new fish of irish waters the"Sea Bass" .Owners of restaurants/hotels have a responsibility to know the "exact source" of where their bass[or any other foods] come from and not just take the word of some individual knocking on their door offering lovely "farmed " bass :twisted:
Take a look at another post regarding an article in "the Southern Star",and that is just one example. :roll:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 pm

To be honest I'm really ignorant to the whole restaurant industry and the processes involved with fish procurement. I just think customers totally abstaining from any sort of bass would help the stock generally and won't leave any confusing grey areas. If nobody is ordering bass in their restaurants they won't purchase legal or illegal bass - the less demand there is for bass the less pressure there will be on all stocks. Anyway it's not like the restaurants are going to lose out. If they all stop selling bass then there's no problem. Besides, they've scores of other fish types they can promote and sell! :!: :wink:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:32 pm

John D wrote:To be honest I'm really ignorant to the whole restaurant industry and the processes involved with fish procurement. I just think customers totally abstaining from any sort of Bass would help the stock generally and won't leave any confusing grey areas. If nobody is ordering Bass in their restaurants they won't purchase legal or illegal Bass - the less demand there is for Bass the less pressure there will be on all stocks. Anyway it's not like the restaurants are going to lose out. If they all stop selling Bass then there's no problem. Besides, they've scores of other fish types they can promote and sell! :!: :wink:

One way would be to get celebrity chefs on your side. A campaign similar to Hugh Fernley Whittignstall's. After all it was celebrity chefs that popularised bass as a culinary delight in the first place.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:41 pm

Absolutely brilliant suggestion Pat - that's the best thing I've heard on this subject yet! You're bang on in your observation that it was celebrity chefs that wildly popularised 'sea bass' and it would be great if they could start to de-popularise bass now.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:39 pm

If a resource can be dolphin free why couldn't something similar be 'bass free' - being bass free might be a way of developing kudos in relation to sustaining the coastal community through the realisation that catching and returning rather than killing and eating keeps returning customers in restaurants.

Emphasis on returning.

Imagine a little plaque outside a restaurant or b+b or pub or hotel that was a simple logo but the significance of the logo represented an acknowledgemnt by the organisation/s of the heritage and significant social importance of the species alive and well in numbers.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Now we're talking. That is a phenomenal idea JimH!

Not just giving out about the state of affairs but offering suggestions for solutions - we'll get there lads! :-)

“No army can withstand the strength of an idea whose time has come.”
― Victor Hugo

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

we recently visited a restaurant in bantry and having looked at the specials board bream was for sale
so i just enquired where the bream and bass came from spain he replied
i mentioned that i catch both species down this way . his reply ; if you have any spare here is my no give me a ring and fetch them in
the back way. no f'''''''''''' chance but i goes to show they will buy illegal bass
so won't be going back there again .

a recent fishing stint in courtmac came across a well to do couple from cork got talking fishing any how cut a story short
he chirps up that he fetches his wife with him so he can take four fish home if caught that many and he sells them to
a restaurant in cork , asshole. he caught none that day thank god.

so while you have d'''''heads like these around whats the hope…….

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Good post alfiebass.

It's scenarios and situations like the two you found yourself in with the restaurant and the man taking 4 fish that I actually quite like to find myself in. It gives me a unique opportunity to try and educate someone on the benefits of bass conservation who really needs to hear it.

Did you advise these people and/or comment on the low bass stocks and on the vulnerability of Irish bass as a species in general?

John D.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:49 am

Now imagine john that those awards we're much sought after. They were awarded through strict criteria and assessment through an organisation like Irish bass. Irish bass could be affiliated to a perceived greener coomuninty partnerships like leave no trace, countryside alliance, IMEA etc.

Anglers are made aware of the supporting network and then use only those supporting services that have been determined as such. Awareness through car stickers, brand identity, validity, network communication and education - create an alternative need