Bass Closed Season

Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 am

Over the last few days I have met 3 anglers who stated that "there is no problem fishing for bass during the closed season May15-June 15 so long as they are returned".

My understanding is that anglers cannot target bass during this period. On some of the beaches and rocks that I fish there are very few if any species besides bass. Thus any angler fishing there is definitely targeting the species and breaking the law. He/she is also letting the rest of us anglers down. It took many years to get a protection order on this magical species and many more years for them to start to recover.

This is quite different to fishing on a beach where there are lots of species including bass. So if the latter is caught and returned then there is no problem.

Re: Bass Closed Season

Thu May 15, 2014 3:24 pm

You can't target Bass during the closed season! During this time I target Pollock only!

Fri May 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm actually looking forward for going after the pollock been months and months since I went after them

Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 am

shortcircuit wrote:I'm actually looking forward for going after the pollock been months and months since I went after them

Pollock are great sport, i will also be stalking them till the ban is over. More than enough to fill my fix for a bend in the rod. I will aslo be on the hunt for the wrasse, another great fun species to target during the ban.

Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Agreed but they need to change the dates as spawning / breeding seems to have changed itself.

Love the fight from a pollack myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon May 19, 2014 1:21 pm

Mon May 19, 2014 8:13 pm

I rang the ifi on this & they said you can't target bass on a catch & release during the closed month.

Tue May 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Deise boy wrote:Image

Nice early pollock