Bass Tagging Cork Harbour

Thu May 08, 2014 9:30 am

Many of you are aware of the ESB Bass tagging programe. Last year bass were tagged in Cork Harbour - Internally with an acoustic tag and externally with a floy tag to indicate.

Bass were tagged at various location around the harbour during last summer.
As they move around, the bass are picked up by various receivers around the harbour.

We have had our first confirmed returnee! We have actually had a bass that left the harbour during the winter and has returned back recently.
This is our first returnee. This is groundbreaking work!

It is great to see we the Irish at the cutting edge of research. There are currently tagging programes planned in other countries but we are ahead of the game on this one.

The study was part funded by ESB and supported by a blast of organisations. The science bit is handled by the Coastal & Marine Research Centre.

There is background info here: http://www.topfisher.eu/bass-attag/

Re: Bass Tagging Cork Harbour

Thu May 08, 2014 9:40 am

Great work Jim. Will be fascinating to see the percentage which return to the same place. If the number is high it might encourage people to return more Bass and protect their local stock so to speak.

Thu May 08, 2014 11:06 am

real great work, and it is starting to show the fruits. Well done to all

Thu May 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Great news Jim, yere efforts and hard work look to be paying off!

Thu May 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Great commitment Jim well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat May 10, 2014 10:26 am

Commendable work lads, the more we know about Bass the more we can understand and contribute to their survival and conservation.

Wed May 14, 2014 9:24 pm

Fantastic! Great to see one back :) I've actually Lost track of the project over the last moth or so, I must catch up with TD in the morning!

Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am

Great result Jim et al. Will be nice to see residence times for these fish over the summer period and local movements if possible.