Greystones Pier Bylaw

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:30 am

Hello all,

I am unsure if this issue has been raised on this forum?
I was fishing new Greystones pier last Saturday (19th April). Halfway through the session we had a visit from the Harbour master. Who informed us there had been complaints of people fishing off the pier and lines in the channel etc.

There is a sign saying not to fish across the harbour mouth and this was observed.
He then told one of our group not to fish into the harbour, there was no sign for this and it sounded like he was making it up as he went along!

Now the worrying thing….

He then started talking about fencing the end of the pier and bylaws….
So after a bit of research I found there is new bylaws coming in.
http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/ ... AFT%29.pdf

And this was in there.
6.9 Fishing from the breakwaters of Grey stones Harbour and Marina is prohibited. This is in the interests of public safety and the safe navigation of vessels entering or exiting the harbour.

It looks like they want to stop all access for Anglers.

This harbour was redeveloped in a public-private partnership. That means tax-payers money was used to build this pier. Your money. Now they are looking to keep the public off the piers.

There is a tradition of fishing off this pier…
A tackle shop which will have a significant dip in income…
And an amenity lost to the public, where else do you bring young children to fish…

This will all be gone if the golden few get there way

Submissions or observations should be made to Transportations and Roads Infrastructure Section, Wicklow County Council, County Buildings, Wicklow or to byelawsubs@wicklowcoco.ie by 5pm on the 29th April, 2014

http://www.grainnemcloughlin.com/index. ... -bye-laws/

If this has been raised already, i apologize.

But this sort of thing really gets me

Its one country for all, not the few.

Brian

Re: Greystones Pier Bylaw

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:11 am

similar talk in wexford - the harbour master having the right to stop angling on piers - using the health and safety argument
the big overall problem is that this thin edge of the wedge stuff is gathering momentum

the forty foot and part of kiliney beach have had an angling restriction put in - this gives encouragement to other councils to do the same

bye- lays in county mayo and galway for the same - im sure its the same in other counties

heard another good one recently in relation to "projectiles" on beaches in county cork

soon they will have all the beaches allocated for bathing - and then surfing and you can forget about us anglers

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 pm

As both a shore and a boat angler I'd be in two minds about this. Our boat was hit on two occasions by leads from feckless mack bashers as we were exiting/entering Helvick Harbour, and its not a nice experience. As usual its the idiot few who ruin things for the majority, but how do you sort them out?
Personally, I dont like fishing with "civilians" around anyway, but that's just me.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm

I know this is going to be terribly unpopular but I have to agree with the by-laws. If you can't fish from a pier, yes, it's going to hurt the true anglers here who are conscientious and respect the environment, but I challenge anybody to walk down Howth Harbour on a sunny August weekend and tell me that what they see there is a good idea. Mackeral bashers everywhere, swinging rods that are too big with traces that are too long on line that is too weak, all with a 6 oz lead on the end. I've personally seen Kayakers getting hit and our club boats have been pelted a few times over the years. The pier is left in a shambles, with line, beer cans, general rubbish and bait wrappers all over the place. And every now and then there's dead Mackeral just left to rot.

I started my fishing life on piers and I have a huge soft spot for them, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if fishing was stopped on them. While most people here respect other people and the environment, there's a huge amount of jokers that don't. I wouldn't even call them anglers. People have to realise that the sea is there for everybody, not just anglers. If I was a harbour master, I doubt I'd let an angler within a hundred yards of my pier. In fact (and this will upset even more people), I'd issue day passes so anglers would have to pay for the privilege to fish off them.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 pm

So many people do not understand anglers at all, they don't see the appeal, they don't get it and they don't understand what a true angler is. During the summer months all they will see is clowns on piers etc all around the country drinking cans, creating a nuisance and leaving the place in a pigs sty. So I completely understand, a rod licence fee might actually sort this problem out. Or a the local council could have a license or permit required for their respective zones. I hate arriving somewhere to fish and the place is already destroyed with litter that is obviously from "anglers" and I see people looking at me like I'm a scumbag

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am

as i see it - the rod licence will only be subscribed to by decent anglers and the bashers will carry on as usual - they may get kicked off a pier with a diligent harbour master - but no one will be going near them on rocks or out of the way places

we get to pay and get nothing in return while the jokers will carry on doing what they always did

also if the authorities get to tell us when and where to fish in a harbour - it will soon be in designated areas only, at certain times on production of a licence

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm

corbyeire wrote:if the authorities get to tell us when and where to fish in a harbour - it will soon be in designated areas only, at certain times on production of a licence

Angling is banned from public piers and harbours in several european countries and it hasnt so far resulted in that scenario.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Was only a matter of time ! Eyes Reilly is gonna be devastated! To be honest when you see the mess that so called anglers leave behind and the morons that think landing a lead two feet from a boat entering the harbour is good crack!in reality the harbor was ruined the day the old harbour fell! Still at least nama have somewhere to put yachts instead of dun loire!

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

roger de dodger wrote:Was only a matter of time ! Eyes Reilly is gonna be devastated! To be honest when you see the mess that so called anglers leave behind and the morons that think landing a lead two feet from a boat entering the harbour is good crack!in reality the harbor was ruined the day the old harbour fell! Still at least nama have somewhere to put yachts instead of dun loire!

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

I'd miss it in the wintertime if fishing was banned :cry: It can be a pain to fish there at times when you have to listen to the know all's and no i'm not talking about Fishface this time :roll: It's too small really so it soon gets crowded and when those leads start flying it's not a nice place to be. Can't see how paying to fish would help as they'd have to limit it to half a dozen anglers at most. Greystones Harbour it's been nice knowing ya :wink: ,,,I'll have to make it up to "The Rock's" and head back there :wink: :roll: Hello furry friend's , remember me? :evil: Anyone know a good counsellor :?

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Might encourage people to get out and try new marks. I hated fishing piers when I fished with bait for the main reason that I like peace and quiet so I can chill out, relax or concentrate on fishing. If I was bait fishing give me a nice rock mark away from everyone.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm

corbyeire wrote: the forty foot and part of kiliney beach have had an angling restriction put in -

Have never fished Greystones harbour, but fish Killiney all year round. Last summer myself and a mate were fishing a lovely summers day when the lifeguard came down and informed us about the restrictions so we moved up the beach about 100 yards (apparently not far enough), back down he comes and we had to move about the same again was a minor nuisance. As far as I am aware the restriction is only between certain hours of the day and certain months (correct me if I am wrong), this seems to be that fair way to please both the angler and the general public.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:43 am

I agree with hugo about angling being banned in European harbours as I have had my rod and gear confiscated in Allicante in Spain until I paid a penalty charge it was €50.00 and went up every day until it was paid and was regulated by the local police force nothing yo do with the harbour authorities
mickser

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 pm

It will be a shame if they do an out right ban on fishing the pier, but like others have said to many " wannabes " leave the place full of crap. But some of the locals also have a poke up their a$*es. I cleaned the area one evening and put a small plastic bag of rubbish in the bin only to get verbally abused by a local couple that was out walking... Going on about everyone having to pay bin charges..

That was the last time I fished there.