disband our fishery boards ?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

disband our fishery boards ?

Postby cortaz » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:24 pm

hi
1. fishstocks in all fisherys decreseing with most in a desprate state
2. poaching/illigal fishing widespread and increseing
3. most fishery officers know little about there job??????
4. will turn a blind eye where possable to polloution
5. spend most money on a few west coast rivers

1 local councel distory 1.5 mile of local river with a few hymacs up and down the bed of the river for weeks dug up dozs. of salmon/sea trout redds basically layed waste the the section.
man comes along after work to see what nad been done to this once lovely strech of river shines a torch on water gets ambushed by s.r.f.b.
gets fined E 1200 for disturbing spawning salmon
2 man catches a spawning salmon on a flying c heres the baillifs comeing and throws it across a pollouted drain comeing from a dump the water is black/blue and smeels strongly the river below where it entered
was the same
man gets fined E500 for possion of a spawning sal.
3 same bunch net same area constantly bass/sea trout areas constantly uninterupted
never get cought
could go on
eather disband or raise the standard its not good enough few more years they will be a lot less fish
THEY MUST BE HEALD RESPONSABLE if not who is

do i go on two much?
cortaz
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby quarterflounder » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:29 pm

Cortaz,

In all honesty there is a choice here for all of us. Now whilst the digger story is amusing, the pollution is not nor is the Bass netting.

So what are YOU going to do about it? You can type away on your keyboard the same as me or you can take action yourself. It is about what you believe in and how strong your belief is.

Personally, if I were you, I'd get my video or digital camera and send in the images along with a detailed report of the activity - if I was sure of my facts. I would also go to a local newspaper and a national with the same information and ensure that these were kept abreast of all subsequent action by the fisheries. Keep us informed on here so we can call the papers and ask why they are not printing the story - personally I have had it with all the x at local pub for their 18th birthday party, biddy aged 90 has pegged it, local councillor wants to put extra waste paper bin next to takeaway type stories in our local papers. It would be nice to see real criminals being done properly by the fisheries - hell they might even issue press releases to invoke public opinion.

Even the Garda can assist you....report the crime (and get a crime reference number).... but it is all about follow up. Post the crime ref number here along with the Garda station number and I'll call them chasing it up! I'm sure a few more would too.

Having spent 20 years in the UK and returning to a much modern Ireland I can't help but raise an eyebrow or two when things are swept under the carpet......a blowback to the Haughey era!

We are all in this together at different levels.....if you know the spots where the netting is happening, you know the tides, the times etc. these boys will be fishing, where they land their catch......POST IT HERE.

I'll point the fisheries with a call for action.

Over to you.
quarterflounder

Postby x » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:06 pm

Or.....

Anyone read this?

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=4575

Note the point highlighted. We really ought to try and get somebody angler and conservation friendly onto this.

Ideas, anyone?

I also get a lot of information passed to me on the QT about poaching etc. Keep it coming folks.
x

Postby quarterflounder » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm

I agree but it won't be me....I've already had to bring my rocket launcher back to Osama as I've worked out that if it illegal for the Navy (cough) to blow these ships out of the water I don't suppose I'll be allowed to either.

In all seriousness though I'd love to give it a go but I'm not qualifed to speak with great knowledge or training. The only thing I have going for me is that I call a spade a spade to its face.

I'd be kicked out after a week as I'd be accusing the whole bloody lot of them of cronyism, political arse licking and looking the other way.

Pat the merloon has no place in any of this - we should have an independant body that cares not a jot about fishing - either recreationally or commercial. We should have a panel that listens to delegations and with NO self interest (are you listening Pat) and makes decisions based entirely on merit.

And then it needs implementing without political influence....forgive me while I choke....................

The only way to deal with this level of ineptitude is to take the matter to law.
quarterflounder

Re: disband our fishery boards ?

Postby Bradan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:41 pm

1. fishstocks in all fisherys decreseing with most in a desprate state

And thats all the fault of the fisheries boards?? How about overfishing at sea, reduced sea survival, decreasing water quality, eutrophication from farmland, ineffective waste water treatment, arterial drainage, none of which can be addressed effectively by the fishery boards with their resources....

2. poaching/illigal fishing widespread and increseing

If you look back at how much poaching was done 20 years ago when people had no jobs and selling a fish was worth the risk, and compare it to now, this assertion is way off. There are local hotspots where poachers still carry on, but these are not the national picture. Most people now dont need to poach to make money, and the experience of fisheries officers on the ground is that it is a lot less widespread than before.

3. most fishery officers know little about there job??????

Don't know who or what you're on about here, I work with many fisheries officers every day and to a man they are all highly interested in the job, highly committed, and very knowledgeable. Maybe if you talked to them instead of spreading rubbish about them you would realise this. I know of only one or two officers in the whole service who fit the picture you describe.

4. will turn a blind eye where possable to polloution

The fact is that each fishery board has only 1 or 2 environmental officers to police pollution. The EPA and county councils have far more powers than the boards to enforce water quality legislation, but don't. The fisheries boards are the only ones making the effort. With the amount of farm waste, point and diffuse pollution, sewage waste, etc entering rivers, it is an impossible task to police this field. How about directing your anger at teagasc, the IFA, the county councils who operate substandard waste treatment systems, etc etc etc.

5. spend most money on a few west coast rivers

I presume you are referring to the Moy here, its the only one I know that has a lot of extra resources. The fact is that the Moy generates so much money that the board can afford to hire extra staff during the summer to police it, and as the salmon are so prolific there, it needs extra protection. I suppose if the money was evenly distributed and they didn't hire extra people there, we'd hear you complaining about how the boards neglect that river and its poached to hell.

I'm not even going to refer to the examples you list because a) I don't know where you're talking about, b) I can hardly make out what youre trying to say, c) the details are very vague and there could be a lot more to each story than youre telling us and d) they may not even be true.

Sick of people complaining about the boards doing nothing when they do the best they can with what they have. Constantly hear about so-and-so taking 40 fish there last week in a net - yeah great, thanks for telling us a week later when there's sweet FA can be done about it....

The fisheries boards have been chronically underfunded for years, with budgets being cut or increased well below the inflation rate, in spite of the success of the Celtic Tiger. Anglers have to realise that staff cant be everywhere 24 hours a day, giving them help and information will go a long way, but moaning about them not doing their job and slagging them off on fora such as this is only going to demoralise and alienate them. What are YOU going to do about it??

Finally
do i go on two much?
Yes!
Its called fishing, not catching. If it was called catching it wouldn't be fishing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradan99
Bradan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 130 times

Postby cortaz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:18 pm

I've taken this offline.

Sandman
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby x » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Looks like something else could be getting disbanded......

http://www.highlandradio.com/news.php?a ... =000002296
x

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions