Killing fish...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:25 pm

What's the best way to kill a fish,or is it just better to let it die? i've sen people bash them on a rock or with a stick,i've even seen one being killed with a half empty whiskey bottle...i usually just leave them to die.my granddad used to put his thumb behind their head and pull their top jaw back very quickly until their spine broke. he reconed it was a quick death...what are your thoughts on this? i'm not a hippy or anything,i just want to respect the fish i catch that's all.

Re: Killing fish...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Break the neck quick and easy ,just point the arse and neck away from ye,especially with mackeral :D

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 pm

really,like the granddad used to do... :lol:

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 pm

Breaking the neck works
you wont kill a big fish hitting them of a rock but you will injure them and they wont survive if released
i always just cut the head of

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:17 pm

lad123 wrote:Breaking the neck works
you wont kill a big fish hitting them of a rock but you will injure them and they wont survive if released
i always just cut the head of

???????? WTF... why would you hit it with a rock and then release it.... and what happens if you cut the head off and then release it??? does it survive then?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:34 pm

i don't think that's what he meant...hahahaha,funny though

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:17 am

eoghanb wrote:Break the neck quick and easy ,just point the arse and neck away from ye,especially with mackeral :D

I second this, it's the most effective way....but definitely point it away from you or you may be covered in, how do I say.....? Discharge!

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:37 pm

i cant understand anyone leaving a fish to suffocate to death, pointless cruelty - if your keeping it, break its neck or give it a good blow to the head. over and done with fast

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:48 pm

I tend to drown mine, if you hold their head under the water for a few minutes, it does the trick

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:01 pm

spindlefist wrote:I tend to drown mine, if you hold their head under the water for a few minutes, it does the trick

:D :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:44 am

If your going to eat it just give it a knock on the head and gut it straight away.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:04 am

i'm a chef,and some of the things that are done to live creatures in the kitchen before we cook them would have the tree huggers out in force...but as i'm not in the kitchen when i'm fishing i just wanted to do the right thing by the fish. saying that i think i'll follow my granddads advice and a few of you guys advised the same,it's got to be to snap the neck...just gotta remember to geep the ass away from me when i do it :)

thanks to everyone that took the time to post.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Personally I think a priest is a quick and painless for the fish as possible,don't think it's right letting them suffer

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm

Hard and accurate blow to the head is the most humane way, do this asap when landed.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Put your thumb at the back of the fish head and your fingers under the lower jaw and pull back with your fingers and snap its neck. bit of work for bigger fish but it kills them straight away. ive hit fish over the head before and you think their dead but they come back around. best way is to snap their neck in my opinion.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I have a small electric spike, you just hold it against the fish's skull push a button and "pop" the spike drives into the brain and then back out. Instant and painless. Something similar to the pneumatic cattle guns but i made it with an electric motor.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 am

this might work :D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0F-VVjqarZE

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:40 am

dbrock wrote:this might work :D

Psycho!!!!

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:58 am

That's brilliant,many applications :lol:

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:52 pm

dbrock wrote:this might work :D

hahahaha, i thought this might happen.... looks good for getting the kids to bed... :D