Question and thoughts perhaps

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:20 pm

I was asked yesterday, or rather an opinion was expressed to me in the way of debate -

"The more that the profile of bass fishing is promoted the more protection it will be afforded".

Just interested in your opinions, thanks!

Re: Question and thoughts perhaps

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Inside Cork Harbor plenty protection due to the bass fishing being promoted.But outside the harbor to east where its not promoted as much i mean passed guileen, its pretty much a free for all when it comes to bass you can more or less get a boat and whip up as many as you like.So yes the more promoted the bass fishing the more protection it will be afforded from what i can see.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks Ray

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Jim, I agree 100%, the more bass angling has been promoted the more intrest I.F.I. have shown, there has been several successful proseuctions in the last few years, and a lot more patroling along the coast.
PS.
Would like to see a bass/sea angling licence introduced....... i see this as a big step forward.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Leaving aside the issue of a licence - although that wont be easy as it's in the pipeline in one form or another - I'd agree with the sentiment expressed.

Higher profile = greater appreciation of the economic value = more protection.

The tricky bit will be to garner the protection without losing access to the fishing.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:50 pm

100% agree. Thats assuming that "profile" is changed to "profit" - protection costs money. A clear cost/benefit analysis needs to be put forward before anyone would even consider the extra spend.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Difficult species to protect. So many unknowns regarding the stock and its movements during the year. Hopefully its ever increasing profile will lead to more protection but...what if commercial elements get there way?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:09 pm

JimH wrote:I was asked yesterday, or rather an opinion was expressed to me in the way of debate -

"The more that the profile of Bass fishing is promoted the more protection it will be afforded".

Just interested in your opinions, thanks!

Whats your own thoughts Jim?.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:10 pm

I think many people associate the word 'protection' in the context of illegal bass fishing and 'promotion' in terms of the tourism industry - I think both 'promotion' and 'protection' have far wider ramifications which we often don't realise or perhaps consider sometimes.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 am

I'm all for protection ,but as soon as they go offshore to spawn they get hammered this is the big problem :evil:

Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:58 pm

JimH wrote:I think many people associate the word 'protection' in the context of illegal Bass fishing and 'promotion' in terms of the tourism industry - I think both 'promotion' and 'protection' have far wider ramifications which we often don't realise or perhaps consider sometimes.

You're a deep thinker Jim. I agree 100℅. There are wide ranging changes with massive implications coming down the pipeline at us.........

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:45 pm

Here's a Deep Thought......

Has the unfortunate Bass become a victim of over-promotion in the past 20 years by the (UK) angling press and by the restaurant trade/chefs etc?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:54 pm

The very expression of that particular 'deep thought' is frequently and instantly met with the alternative view that the 'discovery', 'promotion', and 'development' of bass fishing has had and continues to have no impact on the species and in fact if it wasn't for this continued process the species would be much worse off....