Re: Irish Wildlife Observations - 2014

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:58 am

cortaz wrote: ..an owl.. flicked to left and snatched a little trout 5/6in from the water, never seen anything like it before...

wow! thats a first 8)

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 am

found this on a north coast beach today. what sort of bird is/was it..? about 10-12" long
very probably a victim of the mad seas as of late
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:22 am

chuckaroo wrote:found this on a north coast beach today. what sort of bird is/was it..? about 10-12" long
very probably a victim of the mad seas as of late

Its a Razorbill :wink:

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:09 am

..an owl.. flicked to left and snatched a little trout 5/6in from the water, never seen anything like it before...

was it a barn owl that you seen? such a beautiful bird...
iv never heard of them catching fish do,normally mice,small rats and voles..

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 pm

On the road to a spot of fishing on Saturday I saw 5 buzzards on the wing, 3 at one time. These 3 were soaring at various heights, they must be starting to display. I was surprised not to see any frogs on the road while driving home the same night as it was dark, mild and raining heavily and we are well into February now.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm

shocking to see one of those sea-eagles that was born last year in county clare shot in tipperary recently,hope they catch the low-life(S) that done it...i know what id like to do to them,im sure the people that follow this thread on wildlife sightings is eaqually disgusted...
regards
jamie

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:11 pm

agree rooster a total scandal - how that bird was shot and all the time and effort that goes into those reintroduction projects - what a shame

on saturday saw 2 healthy woodcock and 25 snipe down the land - raised me spirits no end

the canadian geese were entertaining me with their funny calls while i was blanking on a session yesterday!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm

roooster wrote:..an owl.. flicked to left and snatched a little trout 5/6in from the water, never seen anything like it before...

was it a barn owl that you seen? such a beautiful bird...
iv never heard of them catching fish do,normally mice,small rats and voles..

Rooster,
I dont think it was a barn owl, it 2 dark in colour and bit bigger, a few years back there was a barn owl that started to visit the garden every few evenings, it started to use the bench as a eating spot and had little fear, then evening 1 of the lads arrived at the door with it, Dead :cry: , it had slapped off the windscreen down the road............im still sick over it........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Porgy washed up on Kerry beach.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-ne ... en-3228192

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 am

these pictures of the sea eagle are great and highly annoying at the same time - what a waste
but great to see them in full flight

http://www.rte.ie/news/galleries/2014/0 ... 585-eagle/

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:57 pm

makes the blood boil
there are some mental ignorant tw*ts out there.
its an ongoing battle. they need educated
deadly

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Pure Mindless!!! What the fcuk did the gunman (ignoramous) get out of it.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 pm

walking down the quay in wexford seen a cormorant swallow and then regurgitate a silver eel many times. the eel was about 40cm, no mean feat. he was tying all sorts of knots round the birds neck. but the bird won in the end.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm

On 2 occasions recently on South coast beaches we had our fish baits stolen by foxes; they even followed us back to the car on the first occasion.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 pm

I was out this morning after trout and saw my first swallow of 2014, for the benefit of the cynics who are thinking "1 swallow doesn't make a summer", a short while later I saw two. Yeah, I know; it still isn't summer but I'm doing the best I can.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm

johnwest wrote:I was out this morning after trout and saw my first swallow of 2014, for the benefit of the cynics who are thinking "1 swallow doesn't make a summer", a short while later I saw two. Yeah, I know; it still isn't summer but I'm doing the best I can.

Swallows arriving this early could be a good sign of decent weather for early Summer :lol:

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Out after the spotty boys again this morning and saw this butterfly just out of hibernation. He's in pretty good nick; they're often a bit tatty after winter hibernation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:36 pm

Good few Swallows around Sligo today.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 am

No swallows in Co Meath at the moment.. We have a nest in the apex of the shead for the last 3 years and look forward to their return every year. Interesting that the swallows were very late to Ireland last year and we had a decent summer ;)

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:30 am

Two little egrets have taken up residence in Ballybough in the Tolka river beside the garage, they're there for a few weeks now, there's also a resident heron..wonder if they nest near by?