Merchant Shipping (registration of ships bill 2013)

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Re: Merchant Shipping (registration of ships bill 2013)

Postby Mohawk » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:20 pm

jd wrote:
Yeah, I got that :) . It's not clear to me what the effect will be on recreational boat anglers, and ain't getting much clarity from the department either!

I wouldn't hold your breath John I have been dealing with them for years clarity isn't too high on their agenda :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it would be no harm to have a register of all boats as it is totally uncontrolled at present, but the shipping register is registered in tonnage & KWs which makes it an unnecessary expense for any recreational boat.

I also can't help thinking the government want this register not from a safety point of view which would be a good idea, but from a financial one ie: being the first step to introducing a pleasure boat tax not unlike motor tax

It might be worth contacting the Irish sailing association to get their views on it also as sailing boats will also be required to register from what little I understand of the bill.
“Travel, Stay, Fish & Play”
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby jd » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Got this today.

Dear John

Arising from the provisions of the Bill it is proposed as follows:

Non-commercial angling boats less than 24 metres in load line length that are used solely for recreational purposes will not be required to be registered.

Ships carrying no more than three passengers for the purposes of angling as exempted in the Licensing of Passenger Boats (Exemption) Regulations 2002 from the requirement to be licensed under section 14 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1992 as amended will be required to register in accordance with the Bill.

A commercial angling boat that falls within the “ship” definition in the Bill will be required to register in accordance with the Bill.

A ship is defined in the Bill as including “every description of vessel used in navigation not propelled exclusively by oars and includes personal watercraft and small fast powered craft”.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards

Lorraine McGurk

Irish Maritime Administration
Maritime Safety Policy Division
Tel: (01) 6783434
Fax: (01) 6783419

For this message the author jd has received thanks: 2
Etihad (Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:18 pm), johnwest (Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:10 pm)
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Etihad » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Good news, at last a reply and clarifacation in plain english.
Etihad
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby JimC » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 pm

jd wrote:Got this today.

Dear John

Arising from the provisions of the Bill it is proposed as follows:

Non-commercial angling boats less than 24 metres in load line length that are used solely for recreational purposes will not be required to be registered.

Ships carrying no more than three passengers for the purposes of angling as exempted in the Licensing of Passenger Boats (Exemption) Regulations 2002 from the requirement to be licensed under section 14 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1992 as amended will be required to register in accordance with the Bill.

A commercial angling boat that falls within the “ship” definition in the Bill will be required to register in accordance with the Bill.

A ship is defined in the Bill as including “every description of vessel used in navigation not propelled exclusively by oars and includes personal watercraft and small fast powered craft”.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards

Lorraine McGurk

Irish Maritime Administration
Maritime Safety Policy Division
Tel: (01) 6783434
Fax: (01) 6783419

Ah shur that's grand so Ted :D

Haddington Road me bollix :D :D
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Mohawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Lorraine may need to bush up on the legal definition of a "Ship" just a little :wink: looks like there may be a little more work to do on this draft bill yet :lol:
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Mohawk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:57 pm

The bill is a bit sketchy on the requirements of a "ship" :roll: in both of the following categories, so pleasure (non commercial) boats that fall under these may not be legally omitted from having to register as the letter to JD above state !

Personal watercraft and small fast powered craft, these categories refer to jet skies or small boats (under 24m) of over 200 hp in the bill.
Mohawk
SAI Sea Dog!

Previous

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions