Curious why salmon is different to bass

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Despite the obvious...

I'm interested in why people's views on catch and release and conservation are so different with different fish types. Has the science lost out to myth and are some fish more "special" than others?

My question is... do you think a pictures like the below would be acceptable if they were bass instead of salmon?
http://fishinginireland.info/news/salmo ... lackwater/

Re: Curious why salmon is different to Bass

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Good question lets wait for heads to roll :?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Haha ,^^ :)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Its nearly always about people and their particular mind-set!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm

As long as everything was kept within legal limits, which I'm 100% certain of, considering the internationally respected reputation of the venue, I have absolutely no problem with these pictures. Furthermore this is angling tourism as we want it. Controlled, under proper guidance and happy faces everywhere. Surely these parties will come to visit Ireland again and again and contribute in turn nicely to the our economy :)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Salmon are so much harder to catch... Bass are a lot more plentiful at this current time... There is a certain amount of hunter gatherer instinct when salmon fishing.. I myself would find it easy to put back bass although I always keep some to eat.. But it is so much harder to put back salmon... Because for me I always lose more salmon then I keep.. I have lost three salmon this year and I have been only out a handful of days...

Also you have to remember you must pay for a license to fish for salmon which adds to the fact of maybe keeping the fish to make your money back... These pictures of the Blackwater lodge are most properly tourists, you have to remember these people have spent a lot if money coming here, travelled a massive distance to catch wild irish Atlantic salmon...

Another thing a find with bass anglers is that a vast majority of them don't eat fish never mind bass... This is unknown within a lot of salmon anglers and for me bass is just as nice to eat then salmon...

In my opinion there should be ban on the killing of salmon for about two years in all rivers and lakes in ireland... That is a drastic statement but the stocks of salmon in Ireland at the moment are no where near what they should be and the overall catch of salmon to rod and net are huge.. Then you got to take into consideration the amount of poaching that is going on...

Don't agree with the Last statement that the salmon angling industry is run correctly maybe if the op meant that the Blackwater is run properly then I would agree with that ... But the Munster Blackwater has massive problems with illegal poaching also...

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 pm

i dont see any harm in keeping some fish for the table fair play to them, the guy in the second last pic returned 6 salmon 8) it's the lad in the first picture i would be worried about did you see the eyes on him :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 am

JOHN1 wrote:i dont see any harm in keeping some fish for the table fair play to them, the guy in the second last pic returned 6 salmon 8) it's the lad in the first picture i would be worried about did you see the eyes on him :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'm more concerned about the contents of his glass to be honest :lol: