National Bass Programme - Some Results!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:59 am

Got a letter from IFI with some info on bass. These bass are some of the fish that are tagged with acoustic tags. IFI took scale samples and measurements at the time as well.

To think that a 60cm bass, not a massive fish by any means, is twelve years old! Think of what the fish has had to go through to get to that size - twelve years dodging bigger fish, lures and bait (Non C&R), nets, spears, pair trawlers etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: National Bass Programme - Some Results!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm

Anybody that wants to get a scale sampling kit:
Contact IFI details are here:
http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Projects ... ramme.html

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Wouldnt it be fascinating to have a small camera on a bass for just a year to see what they go through to survive. Even a camera from June til September to get an idea of their feeding habits, how often, where etc.

Some of the biggest fish are around 5Ib and 12 years old. Thats a lot of time for an average sized fish. Even a 3Ib fish is about 8 years old or more. Madness.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm a bit perplexed by the first two fish; both aged 6 yet the smaller one (620g) is average growth rate while the larger (775g) is slow growth rate.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:50 pm

I wondering if a pattern for six year old or less than six will have a slow growth pattern in comparison to say a 12 year old fish?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 am

JimC wrote:Got a letter from IFI with some info on Bass. These Bass are some of the fish that are tagged with acoustic tags. IFI took scale samples and measurements at the time as well.

To think that a 60cm Bass, not a massive fish by any means, is twelve years old! Think of what the fish has had to go through to get to that size - twelve years dodging bigger fish, lures and bait (Non C&R), nets, spears, pair trawlers etc.

Great project with some very interesting findings. I was helping out the CMRC/IFI lads on Thursday, No fish that day though I'm afraid !

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:52 am

Im guessing there will be allot of people fishing east ferry now......

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:29 pm

interesting post jim.can you please tell me if anglers who take part in the programme get feedback from IFI on the bass scales they have provided? thanks

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 pm

which part of east ferry would ye recommend for bass ?