Unused Submarine Cable

Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I know this is kinda off the wall, but it occurred to me while looking at the navionics app.
There seems to be quite a few old and disused submarine cables.
A lot of these have been supplanted by fibre cables and are completely redundant.

The old ones would have used copper cores.
I was just wondering, with the price of scrap copper so high, if anyone with access to boats/scuba gear was ever tempted to do some DIY salvage.

I'm sure it's not legal, just surprised no one has tried to make a quick buck!

Re: Unused Submarine Cable

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm

As far as I am aware some of this has been removed or is due to be removed shortly as directed by the Goverment. Exact details I never asked.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Correct, just like any other redundant network it is being removed. And as stated, salvaging it would not be salvage but theft.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 am

I think the newer submarine cables were Coaxial copper where you have a copper core surrounded by a plastic insulator. Not really worth it for the effort and costs required. Older Transatlantic cables were multiple strands off pure copper upto 6 inches thick and salvaging them is big business, but dangerous work. Might be a discover documentory in there somewhere :)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:59 am

There is a patch just off the nose of Howth where cables are still found. It can be good fishing here as there is a drop off of approx 120ft. I know three boats that have lost anchors here, including me ! Salvage here would be a lot more than just cables !