Ennereilly, August 2013

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:28 am

This writer loves his sea fishing and being a very positive person hates to dwell on the negative, however due to having experienced quality east coast shore fishing within my lifetime taking in variety, size, and numbers it's hard not to comment on the depleted inshore resource that exists today, even smoothies pale over time when they're all that you are catching.

Please read this http://www.anirishanglersworld.com/inde ... low-death/, one anglers account of a venues decline through a period of six years.

With rod and line sea fishing worth directly €127.5 million to the economy in domestic and tourism receipts, all stakeholders in the marine to include the sea angling community have never had a greater opportunity to reverse this decline.

If born after 1980 and fishing predominantly the east coast don't look at this post as a middle aged nostalgia trip reflecting on past times. The fishing was light years from what is experienced today even on the good days.

Nature left to its own devices can recover quite quickly, with a little effort and noise sent in the right direction you too can not only add species variety to your session but see match angling sizes jump up to a 30cm minimum size again.

Sea Angling Ireland came together on bass and made a difference, let's now widen the brief to resurrect and protect our sport full stop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ennereilly, August 2013

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:24 pm

Although I agree with your point of fact that the fish stocks along the East coast are in dire decline.
I myself am not a competition angler and therefore, I am not entirely sure how much of a positive impact on fish stocks; raising the minimum size to 30 cm would have.

With so many other culpable factors to be taken into consideration, such as the mussel and razor clam dredging, the use of dead shark species in whelk and lobster pots, sewage and land run off, industrial pollution, Sellafield; but to name a few.

I would be of the opinion that all of the factors of most most importance with regard to fish stock decline should be encompassed and treated as a single issue.

Not until the angling community and other concerned bodies or organizations; come together and and tackle this issue as a single entity, will there be any progress.

I agree every angler can do his best to return all fish unharmed, and it would be a step in the right direction.
But the wider issues at hand also need to be tackled and that means legislation.
Government bodies such as the Parks and Wildlife, OPW and Teagasc all promote sustainability and best eco practice, while other Government bodies both Irish and British, turn a blind eye to the demise of fish stocks in the Irish sea; by allowing both fleets to fish in all ready depleted waters.

All stakeholders regarding this issue must form some kind of body or network, collate any gathered information or evidence and present it to both Governments.
The Governments will respond with hard scientific evidence to back up their cases.
Anglers, concerned fishermen and I'm sure other concerned environmental groups as well as some of the said Government's bodies' could equally provide evidence and collected data to support a case; possibly at European level.

What's that old saying, "United we Stand"
"Divided we Fall"

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:22 pm

MONKEYwrasse wrote:Although I agree with your point of fact that the fish stocks along the East coast are in dire decline.
I myself am not a competition angler and therefore, I am not entirely sure how much of a positive impact on fish stocks; raising the minimum size to 30 cm would have.

With so many other culpable factors to be taken into consideration, such as the mussel and razor clam dredging, the use of dead shark species in whelk and lobster pots, sewage and land run off, industrial pollution, Sellafield; but to name a few.

I would be of the opinion that all of the factors of most most importance with regard to fish stock decline should be encompassed and treated as a single issue.

Not until the angling community and other concerned bodies or organizations; come together and and tackle this issue as a single entity, will there be any progress.

I agree every angler can do his best to return all fish unharmed, and it would be a step in the right direction.
But the wider issues at hand also need to be tackled and that means legislation.
Government bodies such as the Parks and Wildlife, OPW and Teagasc all promote sustainability and best eco practice, while other Government bodies both Irish and British, turn a blind eye to the demise of fish stocks in the Irish sea; by allowing both fleets to fish in all ready depleted waters.

All stakeholders regarding this issue must form some kind of body or network, collate any gathered information or evidence and present it to both Governments.
The Governments will respond with hard scientific evidence to back up their cases.
Anglers, concerned fishermen and I'm sure other concerned environmental groups as well as some of the said Government's bodies' could equally provide evidence and collected data to support a case; possibly at European level.

What's that old saying, "United we Stand"
"Divided we Fall"

that man knows his stuff 8)

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Always remember though, the Anti Blood Sports people will soon be along fighting for more stringent fishing rules / bans. Dont make the mistake of "giving away" some of our sport for free.

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:56 am

mech1 wrote:Always remember though, the Anti Blood Sports people will ssoon be along fighting for more stringent fishing rules / bans. Dont make the mistake of "giving away" some of our sport for free.

"Compromise is the price we pay, so our children don't have to"

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:06 am

MONKEYwrasse wrote:I myself am not a competition angler and therefore, I am not entirely sure how much of a positive impact on fish stocks; raising the minimum size to 30 cm would have.

In fairness to Ashley, that's not the point he was making. Minimum size limits are so low because of the low stock of larger fish. If fish stocks recover, the minimum sizes could be raised again.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:37 am

Thank you John, at least somebody read and digested the post.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:08 pm

jd wrote:
MONKEYwrasse wrote:I myself am not a competition angler and therefore, I am not entirely sure how much of a positive impact on fish stocks; raising the minimum size to 30 cm would have.

In fairness to Ashley, that's not the point he was making. Minimum size limits are so low because of the low stock of larger fish. If fish stocks recover, the minimum sizes could be raised again.

And fish stocks won't recover unless some of the points I made are followed through and built upon; in my humble opinion.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:12 pm

Ashley Hayden wrote:Thank you John, at least somebody read and digested the post.

I read every word and understood the point you are making, sniping at a fellow angler because he voices his opinion, is certainly not a step in the right direction.