fish ID needed

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm

was found washed up on a SE beach, about 3 ft long, smelled like a bucket of rancid mack, if I'd hazard a guess I'd say Albacore. What do you think?
what is this.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: fish ID needed

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Do the teeth look right for an Albacore?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 pm

I'd think more a porpoise or whale calf

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Yea I dont see a gill cover. Im not sure its a fish but very hard to tell.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:07 pm

guess you are right and I have fallen for my imagination. Only if you look at it from the left side (where the timber plank is) and think of this being its underside, then you can clearly see some small teeth in its lower jaw and also think of the lighter spot between the scissors as an eye. And I was hoping a few Albacore found their way into our waters...

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:26 pm

The head does look right for a tuna the more I look at it. If there use to be a pectoral fin where the small group of stones stuck to the side of it are it would be close to the correct position. Maybe the gill cover is just not visible due to the its poor condition. Ive never caught a tuna so no idea really. Hope someone works it out.

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:35 pm

i would say tuna

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 pm

Sure cut off a schteak and see what it tastes like... :wink:

Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 am

Yeah Bear Grills, like to see you have a go at at...! :-) Im sure its a "Very good source of protein" :-)

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:31 pm

its a porpoise, they get washed up at least once or twice a year near where i live. usually in bad weather.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Porpise